Pedometer challenge

Well Done plantfit, Some well earned steps there i'm sure. Your Pedometer looks a similar style to the one I use which is a Karrimor. Mine was not very expensive, and I am thinking of getting another one, now that I know I will carry on monitering my steps. Would you recommend the one you are using?

darkazana, It has to be difficult to get those steps when you are stuck in the office. I have a similar problem when I am at home. I can be really busy for a couple of hours, but if we are not moving around much, the steps don't register. No problem to have an odd day with a low count, because it's never long before the steps are up again.

Today, my cycle ride was 1hr 15mins at 7mph= 4,886 plus 3,285 walking steps = total 8,171

I'm looking forward to tomorrow, because if it is dry, we are loading the cycles on to the car and heading for Rutland Water. Picnic is packed ready. The distance round the water with the Peninsular is 23miles. Without the Peninsular it is 17miles. Which ever we choose, I know I will sleep well tomorrow night. :biggrin: Keeeeeeeeep Stepping Gang. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another busy day at Sunny: and very Windy Lytham St Anns. From 12oclock, we have been cycling or walking all afternoon: and I have finally used my Pedometer properly. Most days I have been forgetting

Feel like I'm missing out on the fun (?) here. Better get myself a pedometer and walk the dog more often.

Today my fellow Pedometerists, we have excelled ourselves. We have been working up to attempting our Lytham St Anns to Clevelys cycle ride all week,and today the wind was calmer so we took the plunge

I think I've got the same one as you carni, my problem is I keep forgetting to put it on.

There's no point in starting in the middle of the day so I give up before I start. lol

Should I keep it on when I do my aerobics class or would that be cheating.

SueB48, Keep it on Miduck, It's all steps! Do you have any problems with yours staying in place. Every time I sat down, my pedometer would shoot up off my waistband and hit the floor! I have tied a bit of ribbon through the back and I fasten it on to my waistband with a safety pin. thumbsup

• Upvote 1

It depends what I'm wearing It has fallen off a few times when I'm gardening.

If yours keeps slipping off carni you must be losing weight.

• Upvote 2

I would recommend the one I use,it has a small safety line attched to it to prevent losing it,when it's coiled up it's about 3 inches long but it does stretch to over 2 feet long,you clip it to a belt loop on your trousers or whatever, try doing a search on the web,www.silva.se I don't think they cost all that much,just 2 or 3 quid, mines called silva SMT-6, it comes with the safety lanyard and a spare battery in a small tub for safe storage

I'm not too bothered about losing weight (although I should be) it the fact that I can breath a lot better and feel a lot better,I suppose the weight loss might come later,

darkazana,don't beat yourself up about your step count you are doing great,just by entering your count on here shows the commitment you have,well done. Sue B,why would an aerobics class be cheating? it's all steps, get into the habit of putting it on every morning and get stepping,you will feel the benefit after a couple of days and it's a bit of fun,

According to the girl who is collating our steps at work (this is nation wide) I have averaged 8345 since the start of the challenge and I am currently coming 364th out of 683 employees taking part and my team where I work (only five of us) are 63rd out of 80 teams, to say this is the first year we have entered the challenge I don't think we have done too bad, I will have to work out how the Nottstalgia pedometorists have done when i get a bit of time

R

Keeeeep stepping

Rog

• Upvote 1

Thankyou plantfit, I will check it out on the web.

Well I don't know where to start with trying to estimate my days activities accurately, as you will see when I try to write it down. We made it around Rutland Water, but didn't do the Peninsular. The whole journey was 17miles. It took us Approx 3hrs 30mins. The ride is described as easy! Why I'll never know? Perhaps it is easy for the very fit, we both found it quite arduous, after about 10miles i'm afraid we walked up most of the hills.

The very beginning of the ride caused me concern as the path was rough roadstone, similar to Hardcore. Best described as "Like riding a bike, with square wooden wheels over cobble stones" The juddering worried me because of the vibrations to my heart, only 9months after my Procedure! Thankfully we weren't on it for long. Lots of stopping and starting along the way (another thing making it hard to get a correct step total).

I didn't have my pedometer with me, so we counted the steps when we walked.I worked the actual cycling out at 6mph because of the hills.

2hrs 30mins at 6mph=8,370, approx 1hr walking up hills 2,500, home steps 2,000ish. total 12,870. I think the steps were earnt the hard way. We are done in. We thoroughly enjoyed the day, even though it was arduous at times(for us) These totals are very widely estimated. :biggrin: Happy Stepping Everyone. :biggrin:

• Upvote 5

Better day today, the loo cleaning round and then even more cleaning....scrubbing the shower floors!!! I get all the best jobs here!! Oh well it earned me 6414 steps. Well done with yours Carni and not bad going Rog to be halfway up the charts for the first year. I am also on a league table with fitbit with the diabetes group, there are 45 of us and I am generally around 12th, with an average of 7000 steps, though it has fallen a bit this week, but hopefully get back up to steam next week now the site is a bit quieter.

So onwards and upwards steppers, lets keep this thread going.

• Upvote 1

I love riding the trike around Rutland water,did you stop at the Horse and jockey halfway round? they do lovely baguettes,did you go anti clockwise from the car park or clockwise,we usually ride anti clockwise and that hill just before the pub is a killer for me,trouble with trike riding you can't get off and walk because they are so low to the ground and you would be bent double to reach any part of the thing to push,anyway 12870 steps is a fantastic achievement well done to you both,(is Chris doing the challenge by the way?)

darkazana, average of 7000 steps,brilliant,great idea to keep the thread going,might even get a few more Nottstalgians join in,(could be the healthiest site on the net!)

My steps for yesterday were 11840,half a day at work,afternoon shops evening grass cutting and being a general nuisance around the house, today I might struggle I have to get the kitchen drains unblocked so upto my elbow in smelly waste,weather not too good either,could always chase Mrs P around the house (grow up you idiot Rog).

well done to all on the challenge and "go on you know you want to" to all the others who are thinking about it

Keeeeeep stepping

Rog

• Upvote 2

plantfit, We set off clockwise from Barnsdale, going through the wood, which was hard going for me as it was very bumpy. We passed many places along the way, at one stage we ended up by a Roman Shrine. Going downhill we passed by the Horse and Jockey, which was doing a roaring trade. I had made a picnic for when we got back to the car, so we did not stop.

We did stop for coffee at a "Visiter Center". The hill opposite was so steep that this was the place that we started counting steps, 550 just up that one! It became obvious we would be walking as well as cycling. Chris is taking part, because he is attached to me so he's got no choice. He does enjoy it. He has invented a new word for our Walking/ Cycling expeditions. It is called Walk-ling. :biggrin:

Here is my total for today. Cycling 7mph for 75mins=4,886

Total walking, Ikea, Morrisons Shopping and around home=4,960

total = 9,846

Keeeep Stepping Gang. :biggrin:

• Upvote 4

Well done for getting round Rutland water Carni. Used to visit there quite a lot before we starting working for the Caravan Club....used to stay at Greetham. We usually parked up at the water sports centre and walked to the visitor centre, but the last time we went we took the bikes. Parked at the leisure centre then just biked to Normanton Church and back, that seemed a long way to me at the time, though total trip was only 7 miles so I take my hat off to you bowdown

Back to my efforts for today and as it was another busy office bound day I gave my steps a boost by doing a double circuit round the site, the first part through the woods. I could tell it has been a while since I did this, the legs were aching at the end, so I must get back into the habit. Total steps 5635

Home tonight for a couple of days so I think I shall have to get back onto the treadmill, it time to step up a gear I think, it's amazing how quickly your body loses its fitness after a couple of weeks of relative inactivity.

• Upvote 2

Thankyou darkazana, that kind of cycling comes as a shock, when you are only used to canal towpaths. :ohmy:

The walk through the woods sounds lovely darkazana, it's all good exercise and when you think about it, you probably used a lot more calories up than walking on even ground. Everyones steps (whether walking or cycling) can be arduous or easy depending on conditions, so 5635 is well earned, walking through that woodland. Enjoy your hometime and point the treadmill towards the tele, or prop a book up to read. That is if the vibrations let you focus! Well Done and Keeeeeep Stepping. :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

I used to sail at Rutland water and always had my mountain bike with me in case the wind let us down, then we would do the clockwise route on our bikes.

Great times were had there, a lovely spot in Spring.

• Upvote 3

Steps for yesterday were 11840,quite chuffed at that, carni,that hill you rode down passed the Horse and Jockey is one we normally ride up and believe me I'm well and truly knackered when we get to the pub,I sit there for a good five minute trying to get my breath back, like I said you can't really push a trike up hill but you can keep stopping,put the brakes on and just lay back to recover a bit before setting off again,you ladies certainly have got this pedometer/stepometer bug and well done and good luck for joining in,(true Nottingham spirit there) my steps for the four week challenge at work is an incredible 256,093! over a quarter of a million in four weeks,I must work out the equivalent in miles,

Well done all and as darkazana say's keep posting and keeeeep stepping

Rog

• Upvote 2

Today I have worked out my final totals for our Pedometer Challenge. I had a tot up on 28th and my total then, was 227,653. Here it is with the last three days steps added on.

5th May to 31st May = 258,540 divided by 27days= 9,575 steps daily.Ta Da!! I enjoyed getting every one as well. :biggrin:

I still added my steps today. We managed to get out before the rain early this morning. We were out for three hours, but I have deducted an hour for Nattering, Morrisons and Duck feeding. we managed 2hrs cycling at 7mph= 7,812 and pedometer steps = 3,206. Total 11,018. A good total, glad we got out before the rain set in. :biggrin: Happy Stepping Everyone.

• Upvote 2

Well no treadmill for me tonight folks, after loo cleaning duties and then a good hour spent working on my wildlife area starting the construction of the insect hotel, putting in the ponds and planting just about anything I could lay my hands on that rabbits hopefully won't eat, then getting ready to come home, and unpacking when we got here (an hour ago) I have a grand total of 9183....now that's more like it :)

It is lovely walking through the woods Carni. I have watched the season change too, At first it was just brown, leafless trees and dead bracken, but now the trees are wearing their summer leaves and I can tell which is which, (I struggle with going by their trunks and bark patterns, some are more distinctive than others), the bracken is growing tall and green and even better is listening to all the birds calling to each other, I think I even heard a cuckoo the other day, but cannot swear to it, though it was very clear and distinct, it was only once and took me by surprise!

If I think on next time I go out I'll take my camera, there are some fascinating things to be seen in Glucksburg Woods.

• Upvote 2

Sorry it's taken a while ago but here goes, I've managed to count all of the recorded steps as accurately as possible, I must say, Carni's way of posting her total really helped me add things up, I have come up with a grand total of... 814,150 a group! What a great total, more than three quarters of a million steps, I'll work on converting to miles as soon as possible!

• Upvote 2

carni's 9575 and darkazana's 9183 have put me to shame, only managed 9021 yesterday,drive down to a site near Peterborough and a quick walk round followed by talking in the office about a project next week then back to my own site to carry on with the start of the month paperwork,home late,cooked dinner then flaked out on the sofa,

Melissa, thanks for the group steps total,can you believe more than three quarters of a million steps? phew.If you sat down talking about three quarters of a million steps before the challenge you would say it's nearly impossible (well I would) and look what you've all done, congratulations to you all,here's to the next 800,000 plus steps

Rog

• Upvote 2

Well Done Everyone. A big thankyou to plantfit for getting me interested and motivated and also for Melissa, for sorting those steps out for us.

From this challenge I have worked out that, as great as retirement is, I have to make a very big effort to be more mobile at home, I was not aware of this before I started counting steps! Our cycle rides depend a lot on the weather and we all know about the unpredictable English Climate. I am looking into investing in a Fitbit, as soon as I can find one that does what I want. My main need is to have something that converts my cycling accurately to steps, also records my Heart Rate while exercising, so I don't over do my recovering Heart.

Thanks every one who has taken part, and made it all so interesting with your daily accounts. Onwards and Upwards.

Three quarters of a million. WOW thumbsup

• Upvote 2

Carni, had a look on my fitbit page and it seems the fitbit you require is the Fitbit Surge, quite pricey but will cover everything you want.

https://www.fitbit.com/uk/surge

• Upvote 1

Thankyou darkazana, That fitbit looks amazing. I'm not sure I can afford one, now I know how expensive they are. It would have to be something like that or I might be better off, finding a convertion chart that I understand and carry on estimateing our steps by the hour and speed of cycling.

I would always go by the 7mph speed, because that way I know I won't be over estimating. On our cycle ride today, it was very windy and in parts we only made 6/7mph. Chris said to me "Do you realise four weeks ago this was our average speed, now it is 9/10mph upwards on the flat". That's good.

• Upvote 2

Cyclo-pedometrists. Why don't you clip the pedometer on to the outside of your shoe? As I see it, one pedal push is the equivalent of one walking step. I have tried it and the meter recorded as is does for steps. Obviously, you do not get so many 'steps' per mile as walking, due to faster speed, but that does not matter - it is steps that count, not distance. I will be interested to hear any results.

• Upvote 1

I will do a little experiment today Chulla. I will travel for 30mins with the pedometer on my trainer, and make sure I stick to 7mph. Then I will compare the results. I will be surprised if it works, because my Ped seems to work by the jolt of walking and sometimes if the ground is smooth, peddleing can be really smooth as well, so there wouldn't be the jolt to trigger the registered step. But I will report in later. :biggrin:

• Upvote 3

Carni,

you can get a cycle computer that monitors your heart rate,calories burned as well as speed,average speed time etc, they don't cost too much either, might pay you to do a web search, I used to have one fitted to my road bike, you wear a chest strap (completely comfortable and unobtrusive) that picks up you heart beats and transferes it via wireless technology to the small computer on your handlebars, you can set the cycle computer to give a read out for high and low heartrate so you can monitor how you are doing and stay within the set ranges, have a look at one of those, I will try and do a search for you if I get time and let you know what I find

Rog

• Upvote 1