Old for new? - Pubs

The Colliers Arms at Cinder Hill. Original was a little higher up, just above the pit entrance. Had a serving-hatch in the back wall to serve miners.

Windsor Castle at the bottom of Carlton Hill was a quaint local replaced by a bigger modern pub also called the Windsor (it was a Hardy Hanson's pub). The new pub has been closed for several years but has recently been put up for sale by its owners - Tesco (next door).

• 1 year later...

On my last visit to Nottm- I called into The New Castle.. the Lamp to you and i ,but it wasn't always called The Lamp..or even The Red Lamp.

As you know my family were fairground stock and layed up in Bulwell and 

Sneinton. Many Gypsies drank in Smiths Arms ( The Madhouse).

Story goes,a Gypsy half- inched a swan..which was deemed to be owned by the Crown. This bloke was tried and hung for said crime.

Such was the out cry that the Gypsy folk kicked up a huge fuss- but to no avail. They drank in the pubs at the lower end of the Dale and when in town they presented quite an intimidating presence... so much so that Swan matches were banned from Sneinton pubs..and they were not stocked by publicans locally- especially any subsequent owners of The Lamp- fearing the 'curse' that was put on the pub by these Gypsies.

This continued up until the 1940's apparently... Funny The Wheatsheaf always refused to sell matches..when i drank in there!