Burger Bar on Chapel Bar

About 1971-2 went to see Doomwatch at the ABC cinema with my Mother, when we came out; for a treat she took into a restaurant, for a burger and chips. It was painted very brightly inside. Opposite what was Swiss Cottage cafe..I think it became the Body Shop later. Anyway the burger was 40p and the chips 25p."over 8 Bob!!" declared my Mam,I scoffed away- saying nowt.. anyone else recall this place or it's name?

I remember it ian, it was just up from the ABC. Can't recall the name but I;ve had a few burgers from there. I used to go to Swiss Cottage for tea every wednesday with my cousin, we always had omelette followed by apple pie. Then we would go to the pictures, followed by a drink at the Bell Inn. We were only talking about it last weekend funnily enough.

There was also a Wimpy Bar further down, near to the Odeon.

I remember it ian, it was just up from the ABC. Can't recall the name but I;ve had a few burgers from there.

Are we talking about the top end of Chapel Bar, on the same side as the cinema?

There was a Capocci's round the corner from the Gaumont, '60s? Close to Nick Smalley's Hatters.

Lots of Capoccis photos and mentions here. http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7501&hl=capocci#entry95027

Yes, I'm only remembering the two, one opposite the Elite and the other by the ABC. I was forgetting that's Chapel Bar, not Angel Row. Don't remember the one by Sanderson's.

Borrowed from a book, hence the fold in the middle.

Top of Chapel Bar, up from the ABC. On the right is a Smalley's (as mentioned by TBI). To the left of that, not very clear on here, is Capoccis who I don't remember being there. And on their left is a Pork Farms.

chapel1.jpg

Thanks Orphan Annie and Cliff,forgive my memory Cliff.. It was either at Pork farms (seems Small) or the end shop under ABC canopy.which I remember as an expensive b/room or kitchen shop.Next door to brittons (ABC) side was Geo Akins payroll office. Did Arcade records take over the cafe? The Lite Bite,just down from the Library was always busy.Did Turners own them? Anyhoo!! Still cannot remember burger joint..Robbie???

My wife worked at Arcade Records in West End Arcade in the early 70's.

Asked the missus about this. She worked at Arcade Records for a short time in the early 70's. As far as she recalls it was owned by a brother and sister team who also had another record shop somewhere near the Theatre Royal. The 'sister' had been running the West End branch and wanted to stop working so advertised for someone and my wife got the job. Loved the job but very poor pay so moved on.

Letsavagoo,I wonder what other shop they owned? I remember a record shop on Wollaton St,just below Scamps; the guy in there use to visit the cocked hat and was a Ted.I think it was Ace Records? On the subject of Arcade records- they had German stones LPs on Hor zu or teledec, I bought the lot in one go! £55.00, still have them; probably £55.00 each now.

Hi Ian. My wife just can't remember the name of the guy at the other shop but he wasn't a Ted and was about 25-30ish. It probably was on Wollaton Street but she doesn't know the name. The 'sister' who my wife took over from may have also have been an 'exotic' dancer which presumably paid more than the record shop.

I believe Arcade Records also sold records on Long Eaton market.
I used to be a volunteer at Nottingham Hospital Radio and we used to use Arcade Records after Rediffusion on Long Row closed down.

Ta,Letsavagoo and DaveN as time goes by; the memory is not as accurate as one presumes. It's only when I go through my records- that these thoughts arise,I often keep price stickers on LP or pop till receipt in the sleeve.