Sunday trains.

Unbelievable! 2 Sundays in a row and trains cancelled due to “unavailability of staff”. With a Public Transport system Management provide the public with a timetable informing them of the times and destinations etc. of this system They also, with consultation with Staff representatives, provide a roster so that the Staff concerned know what shifts & turns of duty they will be working usually up to 12 weeks in advance. Sunday turns of duty are an unavoidable part of this system and are shown, or should be, in the roster so where are the staff?

• Upvote 3

They're paid too much, otherwise they'd be glad to work Sunday's.

The main problem is the private operators will only roster the exact number of staff to run the trains.(no spares on a Sunday)

So if someone goes sick or gets delayed working an earlier train this can cause cancellation or further delays.

I think the problem is that Central Trains (predecessors to East Midlands Trains) changed working practices a few years ago. The normal working week for their train crews is now Monday to Saturday. Sundays are only worked as overtime. If lots of staff want Sunday off, EMT can't force them to attend work.

It is a crazy setup. At least one other train company works the same way, but not all do.

I worked on the railway albeit a long time ago(over 40 years)

Sunday always was treated as "overtime" and you could turn down Sunday work if you so wished.( but never had a shortage of takers)

I still think it's a case of not enough staff "booked on"

Don't forget the railways are private companies & profit is the main object of their operation.

Having a spare crew hanging around(just in case) as it was a few years ago is not in the interest.

As with any system, there needs to be a small amount of in-built slack to accomodate the unexpected. That should be factored in to normal operational costs. Even more so in the rail network, where the unexpected seems to occur as a matter of course.

A friend who is a rail commuter, pays an extraordinary amount for the privilege of being treated like an animal being herded into a truck. Despite that, he's just happy when his train arrives somewhere near it's due time.

I worked on the railway albeit a long time ago(over 40 years)

Sunday always was treated as "overtime" and you could turn down Sunday work if you so wished.( but never had a shortage of takers)

I still think it's a case of not enough staff "booked on"

Don't forget the railways are private companies & profit is the main object of their operation.

Having a spare crew hanging around(just in case) as it was a few years ago is not in the interest.

No, the issue is most definitely as I stated. Central Trains changed contracts such that all work on Sundays relied on people volunteering for overtime. The traditional way of relying on some people being contracted to work on Sundays was abandoned.

• 4 weeks later...

Sunday services are not reliable up here in Caithness either. Same story, no spare staff to cover sickness, etc.. During the days of BR one could set one's watch by the trains here - now you are lucky if you can set your calendar by them!