Pub Next To the Turf Tavern?

Thanks for the info chaps. Peach Tree.. that would be it.

Now would I be stretching a point if I said I seem to remember a flourescent 'tree' sign on the wall back in the 60s?

Col

Me and my mate struck up a friendship with the couple who managed it for a while just before it shut. They moved on to the Marquis of Lorne in Radford, so we used to drop in there for a pint or many, and a game of darts. At this time, many of the houses around it had been demolished so the pub was never full, nor was much attention paid to it by Mr Plod.

The lock-ins used to last until three or four in the morning!

Thanks for the info chaps. Peach Tree.. that would be it.

Now would I be stretching a point if I said I seem to remember a flourescent 'tree' sign on the wall back in the 60s?

Col

Yes, there was a large brightly-lit sign on the front wall, pub name with a tree outline around it.

• Upvote 1

See! I'm not senile after all! :)

#28, my wife and I used to go to the Marquis of Lorne many years ago with two of our friends, Ray and Elaine. We'd play pool for a while before going into the other room to get our seats for the lock-in. I've mentioned it on another thread somewhere about the landlord always looking through the curtains to make sure the police weren't around. I think he was a Scotsman called Andy but I'm not certain and I never saw any police come in. The Marquis Of Lorne was a dump but they were a good crowd in there from all walks of life. You had the market traders and one young chap I can remember was a right poser. He was very well dressed and had a flash car outside. It was when mobile phones were coming out and were the size of a house brick. He'd have the phone to his ear every five minutes and would go to the door because of the noise inside. Whether anybody was on the other end of the phone was debatable. In all the time I went in the Marquis there was never any trouble, just a great atmosphere. :)

• Upvote 1

Parliament House across the road was a nice boozer!

I have one abiding memory of the Parliament House. Between the two bars there was an open doorway with one of those sets of 'streamers' as a walk-through curtain. It was suitably down at heel with several of the streamers chewed off (by the locals presumably) and cigarette burns etc. A typical high end Shippos boozer. ;)

Like Michael said earlier, some of those rough joints had very colorful characters.. but never any trouble.A gang of five lads..we used to do dodgy boozers,drink mild and fill the juke box up with 10p's and play all the B- sides! Jack Jones.The Crystal Chandelier. Lil' old Wine drinker Me sounded even better after 5 macko's and a bowl of Borkum Riff..I tugged on a pipe in those days.