Does anyone know where I could launch a rowing boat on the Trent? I am excluding the rowing clubs slipways because they have strict rules and insurance issues. Looking for somewhere quiet with a slipway.

Thanks again phil - I followed their flow chart and it stated 'no license required'. I have emailed them to make sure. Insurance is only £36 pa so it would be silly not to get cover. Interestingly, the policy would include some overseas use which is useful because the boat is in France at the mo.

I was not able to start rowing with NRC due to age and insurance issues but that was using racing boats. My boat is an unsinkable heavy skiff and I am planning to row past NRC and cock a snoot as I pass :laugh:

Thanks phil. As far as I can determine a rowing boat does not need a license, but I will look into the insurance situation.

Last time I was down there with some of the lads we got no trouble from the locals.....

2nis13k.jpg

• Upvote 4

It transpires that I do need a license for a rowing boat. The Canal & River Trust website is out of date and difficult to NAVIGATE! Anyway, I'll get on the river somehow - even if it is on some oil drums strapped together.

As an aside - as a boy I paddled across the Trent astride a railway sleeper that me and my mates nicked from the Wilford side :cool:

• Upvote 2

I agree - their web site is a shambles. I did launch a Mirror dinghy at Hazleford back in the late 60's with no problem. It's used by the Trent Power and Ski Boat Club for launching speedboats but I don't think they are very active these days. Most days there's nobody down there. It was more active when the Star and Garter was a pub but it's an old folk's home now so very quiet.

• Upvote 2

Getting away from the subject a little. When I first met the master every Sunday afternoon was spent at Trent Bridge, the master trying to impress me by taking out on a rowing boat, aahhhh memories. (Summer Only of course)

• Upvote 1

#10 re Trent Lane slipway. Looking at Google pics it looks like the slipway is for the two river cruise firms on the site. There does not seem to be a public slipway between Beeston and Colwick.

# 13. PP, as I have mentioned on here previously, I believe that the River Cruises won't be operating from there much longer, in fact I thought they'd moved from that site already.

• Upvote 1

LizzieM - I'll probably have a look around there + Colwick Marina. My boat is easy to launch and retrieve - do it without help in France. When/if I get to row on the Trent I will be looking for a crew member. I will row and the crew member will steer with a paddle. Nice safe boat.

• Upvote 1