Local shopping center...Lidl,Matalan etc.had the car park machines...you know the type...you get your quid back at the checkout.

Now new machines...no ticket unless you enter your registration details. If they think I'm entering information like that to a private outfit...most of which have iffy reputations... ie Where I was,at what time,in which vehicle.They've got another thing coming.

They can stuff their shops up their Jacksies. Talk about Big Brother. Cameras are bad enough but this is beyond the pale....The Gestapo or Stasi would've loved it.

A lot of car parks get your details anyway.

At most out-of-town retail parks (for instance the one at Castle Marina) you are allowed free parking for 3 hours. There are cameras at the entrance-exit and they check your registration on the way in and out, and the period of time between those two actions. If you overstay, you'll get a penalty letter in the post.

So whoever controls the cameras has your registration on their records simply because you drove in and out of the car park. It automatically gets everyone, regardless.

• Upvote 1

Anyone with a valid reason can aquire the details of any registered vehicle by paying a small fee to the DVLA. How do you think private car parking companies can send you an invoice. ?

Car parks who require your vehicle details are to prevent you from passing your ticket to someone else when you leave !

Nottm City Council parking at Wollaton Hall has no requirement for reg details, so my ticket is always passed to someone else when I leave ! hellothere

• Upvote 2

Mine too. It's Big Brother in the extreme.

• Upvote 1

I can't but think its a bit late to be complaining now. The UK is carpeted with cameras, especially in cities, more than most other countries in the world. Most of these cameras are operated by private organisations who can harvest any of the information they can see. As has already been mentioned, many car parks operate on the basis of monitoring your vehicle with a camera system. The Police use cameras to monitor registration details too via their ANPR system. I have no doubt that more people than you realise knew "where you were and when".

Our local doctors have just introduced a one hour parking limit with an ANPR system . How the hell do you know how long you are going to be waiting to see a doctor ? If you think you will be longer than an hour you are supposed to inform the receptionist . Yet to find out what happens if I enter the car park to drop my wife off and then return more than an hour later to pick her up again ?

Yet to find out what happens if I enter the car park to drop my wife off and then return more than an hour later to pick her up again ?

That will register as two separate visits.

You enter the car park to drop your wife off; then you exit the park and drive back home. So you will have been in the car park for a few minutes. Then you come back later and repeat the process.

The possible complication comes if they have conditions such as "No return within one hour".

So much for the data protection act if any private individual has knowledge of my location at a set date and time.

The reason vehicle information can be made available is because technically it isn't personal data. The information is that a car was there, not who the driver was.

• Upvote 1