There are other cases of viable routes being closed(murdered) for little economic gain

The Waverley route(Carlisle - Edinburgh

The Somerset & Dorset (Bath - Bournemouth )

Dumfries - Stranraer

And the Midland & Great Northern Joint

• Upvote 2

Spent so many great times there mid 50's till 62.

When you think how many men worked on building Victoria Station, and how popular trains were in those days, they would never in a million years think that station would be demolished, and steam trains done away with.

#32. I wouldn't mind that so long as it was replaced by a railway station on a line from Manchester to the Channel Tunnel.

• 3 weeks later...

Nipped into town this morning to have a look at the exhibition. Small but nice. Quite a few men of a certain age standing and pointing to the pictures, including our Loughborough correspondent Bubblewrap. Nice to see him again. After a chat he went on his way to meander up Mansfield road to Geoff Blore's bookshop and then to find a watering hole - in this heat and that uphill walk he'll need to find one.

On the way out noticed that there was a chap playing a white grand piano. With Pianoman saying that he was going to be there, half expected to see the lid up and him with his tightening tool  dinging away.

• Upvote 1

It could almost have been an accidental mini-meet-up.

I was going to go and have a look today, but I backed off when I wondered how bad the traffic would be due to the fire and blockage at Canning Circus http://www.nottinghampost.com/demolition-starts-after-canning-circus-fire-live-updates/story-29667641-detail/story.html

And then I discovered there's a One Day Test at Trent Bridge, which has screwed up the traffic around there as well.

Try again tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...