Although my son and I go to Scotland every year for a "fishing holiday" we have never tasted the stuff. Apparently they also made it in Mansfield until the factory was closed a few years ago. Quite tempted to try it now. Perhaps they are seeking publicity!

I reckon that the Scots pretend to like the stuff just because the English can't stand the taste. Thankfully Mrs C`s Scottish family didn't force feed her with it so we were able to steer clear other than an experimental tasting many years ago thinking that it must be good because all her family drank the awful stuff.

I have undertaken extensive research into Scottish history and folklore but can find no reference to it being a clandestine drink for toasting The King Across The Watter which the English wouldn't understand. Perhaps it was this stuff that Bonnie Dundee filled up his can with! (Jacobite song ref!)

9 hours ago, radfordred said:

Make your own 4 cups of sugar 1 cup of rusty nails 2 spoons of Alka-Seltzer in pint of water .... Simples 

You can't use nail's, it's got to be girder's.

The Jocks are indeed stocking up on Irn Bru!  I was reading this morning that there is going to be a chortage before the weekk is out and that a petition has been organised to attempt to reverse the decision too change the formula. 

What I am wondering is will we also stock up on booze....Next May the minimum alcohol price comes into effect and it will mean a surge in booze prices up here. Port and Sherry will be worst hit where prices will rise by around 50%.  You can get a bottle of port in the supermarkets for about £8 now but it will be a minimum of £12.50. There will be no £15 litre bottles of scotch offers, the mimimum legal price being £20 and 33p tins of Lidls lager will go up to £1.  It is really nothing more than a tax on the poor, who it seems, are being held responsible for Scotland's so called "Drink problem".