NOOB The Early Years

And that's besides the propositions you would get from the girls of horizontal pleasure, or the offers of morrocon woodbines, whilst admiring the fancy cutlery he was displaying!!!,............ Very close up!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the first part of what appears will be quite a long narrative. I'm doing it in sections so as not to have you dying of boredom or the system refusing to publish such meandering prose.  

- - - continued fourth and final part - - -   This is where I leave Nottingham forever.   In spite of my residence at 291 being enjoyable and very memorable, all good things must c

- - - continued - - -   Following my disastrous experiences at Newstead Grove and my total loss of respect for humanity, the next few weeks were spent dossing down at friends flats/houses. T

I am genuinely shocked. When I lived there I could count amongst my neighbours a cardiac surgeon, a consultant dentist, a relative/descendant of William Booth, theatre director Richard Eyre preceded by John Neville (both directors of the Playhouse), Brian Clough was there for a short time. What happened? Was it the aftermath of the events in 1982?

What about 291 Mansfield Road (next door to the Grosvenor)? Has that area gone down the same sewer?

Now that isn't quite so bad jonab. Nothing that a bit of renovation wouldn't solve. The Grosvenor obviously is mainly frequented by the local student population, but as long as they're spending, then I've no qualms about that. On the whole, it's a very vibrant area.

The beer is good too I might add.

Mmmmm, maybe not that good !

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

The beer is good too I might add.

It used to be Home Ales when I was there. Does that brewery still exist? I know Shippo's was taken over by Scottish & Newcastle.

No, Home Ales was taken over by S & N. Shippo's was taken over by Greenalls, however I believe some micro brewery has resurrected it, but only in bottles although I've never seen any on sale anywhere.

The other local one, Mansfield Brewery was taken over by some Wolverhampton brewery, and moved there. I gather it's still available in cans, but their products aren't  a patch on Mansfield Bitter, or Marksman Lager. I worked for a short time at MB's distribution depot in the mid 90's, and it was a fantastic place. Good management, friendly workers and good money !

That says it all then. I'll stick to Speckled Hen, or Autumn Gold, or one of the Marstons products.

Oooh too frothy. I'll stick to Doom Bar, or Tribute is its draught ale we're discussing ! 

2 hours ago, FLY2 said:

That says it all then. I'll stick to Speckled Hen, or Autumn Gold, or one of the Marstons products.

I don't drink much beer these days. Where I live, the stuff sold as beer is what we termed gnat waz in my youth.

I do enjoy a good pint, though, and Speckled Hen is particularly good. I also like Bishop's Finger and a number the beers from mini and micro breweries.

(Is waz spelled with one "z" or two?)

I can't get over how Aspley must have changed, Mick.  In my days of doing service calls in the area (late 60s) it was quite a pleasant and safe area to be in.  I never saw the slightest problem and the majority of the houses were well kept with decent folks living in them.

I think all the estates such as Aspley, Bilborough, Broxtowe, Bells Lane, Strelley etc have suffered over the past decade or so, due to the  enforced influx of former Meadows and St Anne's residents. What was a relatively pleasant working class area with salt of the earth inhabitants, has turned into a drug fuelled,  aggressive, confrontational and squalid area. 

There are still many good, honest and respectable folk around, but a distinct minority nowadays I'm afraid. 

• Like 1

Totally & utterly wrong assumption FLY. I take offense being a former St Anns resident myself. I believe the reason nowadays is the modern generation/culture. I don't want to work,benefits culture which is the same on any estate.

It will net change while today's youth have not a cat in hells chance of getting anywhere in life. How many applicants are chasing each job ?

Unrestricted immigration does not help the situation either, sadly some people can't see this, being cosy in their own little safe world.

• Like 2

I don't class everyone the same, and you know that ! You just have a visit, and see for yourself. 

2 hours ago, loppylugs said:

I can't get over how Aspley must have changed, Mick.  In my days of doing service calls in the area (late 60s) it was quite a pleasant and safe area to be in.  I never saw the slightest problem and the majority of the houses were well kept with decent folks living in them.

Not so much nowadays Dave, feral youths hanging around street corners etc, common & lots of crime  these days I'm sad to say.

HI jonab nice to read your comments but you forget how friendly the people are from places you are not happy about, I my self feel safer at night walking around St Ann's Forest Fields and other places that you name than down south. 

Don't forget home is were the heart is, life is what you make it. 

I lived in Hucknall in the 1970s and found the people very friendly. 

Plus FLATS you get what you pay for.

Don't you worry Jonab, just keep the tazer on stun and you'll be sound, oh yeah forgot, don't forget your stab jacket.

• Like 1
On 1/9/2018 at 4:20 PM, Waddo said:

You can't go far wrong with a pint of John Smith's, always the same wherever you go.

A bit like cat pee though Waddo, not a real ale & only low strength !

But like I say, it tastes the same every where. I'm not one for trying owt different, when I find something I like I stick to it. Boring I know but it works for me.