Fire works celebrating new year

Its almost new year and every year there are accidents caused through misuse of fire works. The tiny fireworks similar to jumping jacks are often used by the younger generation and thrown no matter where causing the elderly ,animals and also anyone else who happens to be in the vicinity afraid of what damage they do.

But a solution has been found.

the following diagram is in Italian but its self explanatory 

IMG-2652.jpg

If you don't get it its says unwrap the "petardo" , lubricate it and I'm sure you will understand the rest.

If it offends please feel free to delete. 

And most importantly the dog is saying I recommend you to read the instructions.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Nonna, as much as I HATE fireworks, sorry I will correct that statement, as much as I HATE loud fireworks, I don’t think that they are let off in a particularly dangerous manner in the UK.  We spent New Year in Rome once and the fireworks at midnight were terrifying.  Lads were letting them off horizontally along narrow streets, there was no place to avoid them and very scary.  

• Upvote 2

Lizzie I wasnt referring to the uk. It used to be like that when I was younger but here sometimes it gets out of control.

Many places have banned the use of fireworks at new year. We were hoping our lord mayor would ban them too but he has ignored all the pleas. I love fireworks in the right place such as displays. Its these Petardi that I don't like. They are tiny fireworks the size of half a cigarette and they are just thrown , you don't have to light them and they make the biggest bang.

I agree the fireworks here are very loud especially at the end of a display. When its finished there are 3 " Loud" and I mean loud bangs. They are so loud that the ground shakes. It can be felt quite a distance away.

My only hope that tonight a lot of people round here don't have them. Most of the houses have dogs and they get so scared you can hear them howling.

Happy New Year to you all

• Upvote 1

There are huge New Year firework displays in Monaco and Cannes. No need for me to go there, I get an excellent view of the Cannes display from my terrace - also Cannes hosts several international firework displays during other times of the year, especially in the summer.

My dogs, luckily, are not the least bothered by loud noises - perhaps because they were brought up amongst hunters and guns. It appears that they enjoy firework displays, they seem transfixed in watching them.

There is little point in the locals having fireworks, there's absolutely no chance of them competing with the Cannes displays.

• Like 1

Where I lived in Rossington we were near a pub so had firework displays (the bonfire night fireworks started about a week before and continued every night until the proper night) at every opportunity, Christmas, new year, bonfire night, birthday parties held there etc. Really thought the landlord was fixated on them and the louder the better. My two dogs were never bothered until one night I let them out and the pub suddenly let off a firework (there hadn’t been any that night until then) which exploded right over my back garden. Since then they have been a bit jittery when they hear fireworks, I usually end up with them lying either side of me touching my feet. I don’t make a big thing if it, just tell them calmly to lie down and eventually they will go to sleep. The pub always let the fireworks off in the direction of our houses, the landlord was asked to vary the directions but never did. Personally I don’t mind the pretty fireworks but don’t like the very loud bangs. I think they should only be allowed in proper displays and should not be on sale for so long before bonfire nite etc if that isn’t the case. Every year there are accidents and acts of cruelty (the hamster that was strapped to a rocket and blown up and recently the German Shepherd that had one tied to its face both of which are very disturbing and doesn’t say much about the human [?] race). Sorry didn’t mean to get on my soapbox and would certainly not want them banned as most people are responsible about them and enjoy them just controlled more so that the evil idiots don’t get hold of them.

• Like 1

How awful for the animals. How anyone can be so cruel is beyond me. The UK has good conduct about the storage of fireworks but here they are on supermarket shelves , the chinese markets and shops just put them anywhere theres space and no control over them whatsoever. Our pinscher is afraid of anything so expecting to cuddle her but the two chi's are still young , last year they didnt bother but this year might be different. My daughter suggested we both get on the bed and lie with 4 dogs between us. Already sleep with 2 little so it wont be much different.

Happy and safe new year

Jonab

we occasionally see the displays from Cannes and Monaco on tv here. Our ,displays  are quite good even tho we are only a village but its the 3 big bangs at the finish I dont like. 

There were loads of fireworks for sale in Morrisons yesterday, not on the shelves, you had to show proof of age. Just something to wake me on New Year’s Eve. I’ve no interest whatsoever in celebrating. I always go to bed at 9pm to avoid any involvement. At least all this pseudo bonhomie and festive nonsense is nearly over and I can get back to my dull life! :biggrin:

nonna, I've had TV crews up here in my grounds televising the Cannes summer displays in the past but not the New Year ones. Not an ideal place I would have thought, too far away to fill the screen but, they always slip a few € for the privilege.

The first time they came to do this (about ten years ago) there was a movie assessment team arrived just after the TV crew had left assessing the suitability of using my villa for making film/TV dramas. Didn't hear anything further so I assume it wasn't suitable.

7 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I always go to bed at 9pm to avoid any involvement. 

The problem is that even if you go to bed early,  you won't sleep for long because you'll be woken at midnight when all the fireworks go off  (unless you live absolutely in the middle of nowhere).

• Upvote 1

The apartment we had in La Napoule looked across to the Bay of Cannes and we would watch the fireworks every Saturday night, Bastille Day and NYE.  They were impressive displays but were far enough away to not bother the dog and we knew when to expect them.  A different story in Nottingham these days though, could be any time of year, any time of evening/night.  I wish our little Jack would lose his hearing, our life would be a lot easier.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

The problem is that even if you go to bed early,  you won't sleep for long because you'll be woken at midnight when all the fireworks go off  (unless you live absolutely in the middle of nowhere).

We are out of the village but the noise carries. A few drams before ‘dry January’ begins might send me into a deep slumber!

13 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

The biggest problem with this midnight thing is that so many people appear to be unable to tell the time so the midnight firework activity goes on for a considerable time either side of what it should be.

• Like 1

I shall be anaesthetised by a few glasses of good red wine...Portuguese.  On me, it has sedative effects. The cats, however, don't like fireworks and will probably tunnel under the duvet.

10 minutes of daylight gained today! Yippee!

• Like 1