Free orange juice and Minadex

I think Chaucer St is off Talbot St? Somewhere around there. The dreaded school dentist was there. I think they did tonsils to

I never went in the Gen Hospital/Postern Street but I remember that bridge; apparently it went from one part of the hospital to the other. You may have gone across it.

There's an old thread about Chaucer Street........

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/11756-chaucer-street-horror/?tab=comments#comment-198943

CT, thanks for the reply and info. What I do remember was going in a door, on the left, underneath that bridge. And I'm talking nigh on 70 years ago ! But it's difficult to visualise now that none of it exists. However, it's great to get these jolts of memory and reminders.

2 hours ago, katyjay said:

I think Chaucer St is off Talbot St? Somewhere around there. The dreaded school dentist was there. I think they did tonsils to

Had a look on street view Kath, and Chaucer runs between Goldsmith Street and Clarendon Street. B.x

I can also remember Dolly blue bags just dipped in water for wasp stings, and kaolin and morph for upset stomachs, both really worked. Can you even get these things now?

Gripe water was very popular when I was a baby but some people went a step further. A friend with whom I was at Manning told me that her mum habitually put whisky in her feeding bottle and that of her younger brother. Presumably, this was to make the babies sleep. Can you imagine the fall out if mothers were caught doing that today? It wasn't an uncommon practice and, in addition to alcoholic gripe water, it's surprising that some babies were ever awake or haven't grown up into helpless alcoholics.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

I remember when I was young having kaolin and morphine for an upset stomach. It definitely worked; and it looks as though you can still get it today.

Wasn't that a mixture you had to shake before taking? When left afterwards it seperated into 2, white below (chalky looking ) and brown clear above.

My mam used to get laudanum to help Chulla sleep as a baby (1939). When youngest brother came along  (1955) and she tried to get it for him, it was not available any more.

4 minutes ago, katyjay said:

Wasn't that a mixture you had to shake before taking? When left afterwards it seperated into 2, white below (chalky looking ) and brown clear above.

Now you mention it....I'd forgotten that but yes, it was.

38 minutes ago, katyjay said:

(chalky looking

The reason it were chalky looking is due to it being China clay. The name comes from the original porcelain clay found in Kaolin, China. Found this out when xraying the China clay workers in Cornwall, back in 1978, when I worked for coal board medical services.

The clay is used in various forms, such as medicine tablets, glossy magazine coatings, wellingtons as well as for porcelain crockery.

• Upvote 1

No wonder Chulla always looked so laid back!

My father suffered with stomach ulcers when I was a child. It was his own fault for eating hot, spicy food. All the GP ever gave him was Aludrox which was, basically, chalk with a minty taste that soon gave way to something less pleasant.  I mentioned Aludrox to a GP some years ago. She had never heard of it. It's just Gaviscon nowadays at many times the price and most people seem to be addicted to it, even if they also take prescribed PPIs.

Laudanum is a mix of alcohol and opium. Victorians rubbed it on the gums of teething babies, that and holding them over an unlit gas jet on the cooker.

The Victorians were into all that kind of thing, almost proto-hippies.

Sherlock Holmes used Morphine and Cocaine; the poet Samuel Taylor Coleridge was heavily into Laudanum and Opium.

Using a bit of pot and LSD in the 60s was trivial compared with them.

I've just been reading about ancient remedies for teething babies, as you do, and am amazed 'teething' was given as a quite common cause of death. After suffering some of these practices,  it's not really surprising.

https://babyology.com.au/health/baby-health/ancient-baby-teething-remedies-were-as-bonkers-as-they-were-brutal/

Worth a look if only for the delightful picture of the toddler…

Branwell Bronte got hooked on these substances in Victorian Haworth. All he had to do was nip down to the apothecary. The shop is still there today. In the evenings, it was alcohol at The Black Bull.  It is said that he wrote parts of Wuthering Heights and even that the dark side of Heathcliffe's character is based on him.