Where do True Nottingham people come from?

Ayup all

In your opinion where would you say true Nottingham people come from? you know the "salt of the earth type" proper charactors, genuine folk, best neighbours anyone could wish for types. I think it's got to be the folk from the MEADOWS

look forwards to hearing replies to this one

Cheers

Roger

I definately think real Nottm folk hail from The Medders me duck,no bout adout it wink.gif

• Upvote 1

Well, what me late Mam told me, we started out dahn Lenton, too close to the canal when I was toddling, so we moved to St Anns, spent up to my 14th year there then we moved dahn medders. Thats where we stayed until we were moved under demolition orders. Me and my first missus took the two kids up to Clifton, Farnborough Road opposite the Comp school. In fact, we were lucky, we had a bus stop right out front gate!

Yose all wrong meduck.

Yo had to be born in Bulwell and brung up in Brockie. At least 'ad one fight owtside o the Cocked 'at on a satde neet

John,

After we left the meadows we lived for a short time on Farnborough road, near the bus stop at No 420 I think it was!!! Frank, Know what you mean about Brokkie after I got wed to Mrs no1 we lived on Withern road until I bugged off, Small world. Still prefered the Medders as it was when I were a nipper.

Roger

Roger

When I was a lad (16) I worked for a small company in the medda's in one of the railway arches - Brookfield Sheet Metal Ltd. We made the inners for the fruit machines for Bell Fruit. I remember on the last week I worked there I spot welded all the coin chutes with the wrong angles, all 10,000 of them, on purpose. I mixed up the top and bottom angle guides. Must have cost 'em a fortune smile2

Used to walk down Arkwright Street, passed Cookes (sheet metal) on the left _Crocus Street_ then turn right down a side street. Used to be a pub on the corner opposite if I remember right. Never went in there as I was too young. Oh happy days.

• 4 weeks later...
....does any member have a old picture of bullivant street st anns in there photos

thanks

'Oldest' I can find......1995!

Demolition of factory buildings between Bullivant Street and Ashforth Street, St Anns.

Cheers

Robt P.

picturethepastorg @ Ian Brown LRPS Nov 1995

post-11-1170358042_thumb.jpg

You bu66ered me up there John, nice one, Sense at last in Lincolnshire, someone who talks like me ,Not like these cabbage pickers eh

Rog

Ayup John,

I just remembered reading your first post reminded of our outside "lavvy" dahn Medders

It were across the back yard and it contained the biggest spiders in Nottingham, about as big as sparrows, one thing for sure you didn't spend more time in there than was required, unless you were hiding from the old bat that lived further down the terrace. ( I think she could see through walls though because she always knew it were me throwing stones at her windows)

Roger

It were cowd in winter t'old lad! I used to do the cross word puzzles on the squares of newspaper the old man cut up and hung from a nail in the wall!

Ayup John,

In them days there were sh*t on the news papers, now we buy them with sh*t already in them, Ha Ha

Rog

Ayup John,

I just remembered reading your first post reminded of our outside "lavvy" dahn Medders

It were across the back yard and it contained the biggest spiders in Nottingham, about as big as sparrows, one thing for sure you didn't spend more time in there than was required, unless you were hiding from the old bat that lived further down the terrace. ( I think she could see through walls though because she always knew it were me throwing stones at her windows)

Roger

hi rog

i can remenber the old attic bedroom, i never would go up there it was never used as a bedroom but it was spooky as hell, they also had cellars, my mam told me a few people had the gas meters down there and a few were robbed by opening the steel grate outside where the coal was tipped in and getting into the cellar and rob the shilling meter, as for the bath it would be filled one and the family would take it in turn to get one lucky for me being the youngest i went first and my two sisters after god it must have took some filling. i would love to know what year those old st anns houses were built i bet it was pre 1800s. we also had some of those multi coloured tassles in the door way i used to do my tarzan impression untill the day they snapped an i ended up with a chin full of stitches if only i had my p.p.e on at the time mate ha ha

If you tell me what area you are interested in I will see If I have it

HI MICK

ITS BULLIVANT STREET ST ANNS IM LOOKING FOR, IF YOU HAVE IT

MANY THANKS

JOHN

John, where abouts was Bullivant Street?? I was brought up in a terraced house off Turner Street, that was between Peas Hill Road and Alfred Street South.

John, where abouts was Bullivant Street?? I was brought up in a terraced house off Turner Street, that was between Peas Hill Road and Alfred Street South.
just off peas hill road and alfred street centre, the streets still there and named bullivant street, but the terraced houses are all gone
thanks

Didn't Peas Hill Road change to another name on the north side of St Anns Well Road???

I had a Gran who lived on Dane Street, that ran between Alfred Street Central and that road, then my other Gran lived on one of the steep hills to the right heading away from St Anns Well Road. Can't for the life of me recall it's name.

Got me streets mixed up, thanks Mick, Pym street was the one at the top of Turner street. Thats it, my other Gran lived on Raglan Street. Now that was pretty steep!

• 2 weeks later...
but hell anyone who comes from Nottingham is the salt of the earth

Cheers

Roger

Good on yer Roger. Meadows people, before they tore it all down, were the salt of the earth. The community spirit was unbelievable.

No airs and graces there. Dinner, or tea as we called it then, was often two thick slices of bread with dripping, a shilling bag of chips - shared between six kids and parents, still hot so they melted the dripping. That was heaven a chip butty. And if we had visitors, more often than not neighbours kids, then it was a one and six bag of chips to go round.

If there were older visitors of an evening, then me Mam would go down to the off-licence with a jug. They would actually pull beer in the shop. None of this cans or bottles stuff. And they would always sell bottles of alcoholic cider to the older kids. It was no big deal.

Hugs Alison

• 9 years later...

Anyone born within earshot of ' Little John '. I was born at the women's hospital in Peel Street so I'm alreet.....