The bit about booking fees is my personal bugbear, I went to see Bruce Springsteen at Old Trafford cricket ground a few years ago ,face value £40 booking fee £2.50 . 6 of us went ,£15 just for the privilege of selling us the tickets , cheeky t**ts (And you can think that says twits if you want)

It's time to make a stand and refuse to pay the booking fee.

One thing that annoys me is the service charge in restaurants if there are more than a certain number in your party.

Why should you pay more when you are getting the same service?

Den.

One thing that annoys me is the service charge in restaurants if there are more than a certain number in your party.

I can see both sides here . . .

There are occasions where I have witnessed waiting staff having great difficulty getting a coherent order out of a large number of boisterous people! Then there are difficulties at the delivery stage when people can't remember what they have ordered resulting in protracted discussion. Lastly there is further memory loss when it comes to payment when everyone divides by 12 and comes to a different answer, coupled with incredulity with the individual amounts requested ("but I only had a starter") followed by reluctance to add another 10-12% ........

Never happens when I've been for a curry after a pub crawl !rotfl!

It's time to make a stand and refuse to pay the booking fee.

Den.

But in all seriousness, the "tip" should be optional regardless of the number of people, and should be in return for good service. I hate the term "service charge." I try to tip in cash even if the bill has been paid by card. That way I feel there is more chance of it ending up with those for whom it is intended.

Yes, the booking fee needs investigating. There may be a case for a small fee per booking to cover the running costs of a ticket agency that provide a very useful service, but not multiplied up for each ticket purchased. And never when buying directly from the venue - I ask you!

The airlines now charge you an 'extra' for paying by Switch, sitting together and for taking a suitcase on yer 'oliday's.

I said I would send then a cheque - we don't take cheques says she. I'll bring some cash in - you can't says she. You can only pay by card.

But that means that I'll have to pay extra - so it does says she.

Do you remember when plastic came out? It was going to be the best thing since sliced bread, as you wouldn't have to carry cash anymore. What a rip off.

Can you see any more on the horizon?

I can see both sides here . . .

There are occasions where I have witnessed waiting staff having great difficulty getting a coherent order out of a large number of boisterous people! Then there are difficulties at the delivery stage when people can't remember what they have ordered resulting in protracted discussion. Lastly there is further memory loss when it comes to payment when everyone divides by 12 and comes to a different answer, coupled with incredulity with the individual amounts requested ("but I only had a starter") followed by reluctance to add another 10-12% ........

Never happens when I've been for a curry after a pub crawl !rotfl!

You have hit on what Douglas Adams calls "Bistro Math" - the mathmatical relationship between the number of people, what they order, what they eat and what they pay - previously thought to be a totally random number! (Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

Over here it is the bottled water that makes me laugh - folks are bitchin about how much petrol costs ($3.25/gallon at the moment) but they will happily pay $1 for a pint of water - that's $8/gallon folks! Same goes for the ripoff coffee places - I get mine at work - it's free!

Over here it is the bottled water that makes me laugh - folks are bitchin about how much petrol costs ($3.25/gallon at the moment) but they will happily pay $1 for a pint of water - that's $8/gallon folks! Same goes for the ripoff coffee places - I get mine at work - it's free!

I never understood the 'Starbucks' thing in the first place , I went in one in Leicester Square in London once 2x Cappucino and 2x Blueberry muffins total load £7, never been in one since.

When we first became a proper 'item' SWMBO used to buy bottled water at £4 a gallon, when we have some of the purest natural tap water in the country, I soon put a stop to that, but in her case that was peer presure (Her folks are well off and have always used it at meal times, SWMBO used it to make tea...........LOL)

Biggest rip off in Britain summed up in 2 words "Motorway Services". The last time i used them was about 5 years ago, a pot of tea was £1.80. The breakfasts were dried up and looked ill, i didn't ask the price.

Den.

As an ex lorry driver I only ever used the motorway services for deisel (which the company paid for) or to buy a paper ( which they couldn't 'mark up') and use the loo, then to my horror (I think it was Cawley near Coventry) started trying to charge 20p to go in the toilet, this was soon abandonded when there was a line of truckers and pensioners alike lined up out side peeing up the wall!!! PEOPLE POWER at work!!!!

Mentioned elsewhere, The Quorn pub in Sherwood (now called the Hub) is selling Fosters Lager at £2.75 per pint.

I thought that was a lot for a "local" pub, how does that compare? I stopped going in when they stuck 18p on a pint.

Den.

Mentioned elsewhere, The Quorn pub in Sherwood (now called the Hub) is selling Fosters Lager at £2.75 per pint.

I thought that was a lot for a "local" pub, how does that compare? I stopped going in when they stuck 18p on a pint.

Den.

I'm an ale man myself but down here about £3.20 is normal for cooking lager!

I'm an ale man myself but down here about £3.20 is normal for cooking lager!

Me too - and it wouldn't bother me one bit if they put the price of lager up to ten quid a pint!

Even the Aussies won't drink Fosters!

You have hit on what Douglas Adams calls "Bistro Math" - the mathmatical relationship between the number of people, what they order, what they eat and what they pay - previously thought to be a totally random number! (Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

Talking of water rip-offs.

Severn Trent fined record £36m after misreporting water leakages

Wednesday, 9 April 2008

Severn Trent, the Midlands water company, is to pay a record £36m fine and pledged to cut customer bills after it pleaded guilty yesterday to orchestrating one of the largest customer overcharging scandals ever perpetrated in the UK.

The company's extraordinary mea culpa, issued yesterday to the City of London magistrates' court, was the culmination of a long-running investigation by the Serious Fraud Office into a years-long pattern of falsifying information that enabled it to charge customers more than it would have otherwise been allowed under the regulatory regime. To settle the case, Severn Trent pleaded guilty to two charges of falsifying leakage data in 2001 and 2002.

The company gets fined £36 million ,who gets this? who pays this?

In answer, if it is to be paid by the company where will they get it from ,yes it will be passed on the consumer, who , if they have been given the fine money back in the form of rebates will then be paying it back (And then some) in the form of larger bills

The company gets fined £36 million ,who gets this? who pays this?

In answer, if it is to be paid by the company where will they get it from ,yes it will be passed on the consumer, who , if they have been given the fine money back in the form of rebates will then be paying it back (And then some) in the form of larger bills

Even worse , Beefy,it is possible to swap gas and electrity companies,and phone and all other similar enterprises, but WATER -NO!!!

You are stuck with them.

• 1 year later...

Well Mr Shaw! I hope you didn’t fall for the pick and mix on your way in.

There are some very simple rules when one goes to the pictures…. time your visits to matinee showings; eat a hearty meal before you go, drink plenty of fluid too so one doesn’t dehydrate within the 30 minutes of adverts before the feature starts and smuggle your sweet treats under ones hat. :closedeyes:

Rose.

• 5 years later...
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Rip offs