Peoples College?

1968-1974, I attended Peoples College, as an Apprentice Ellectrician.

First at the old Huntingdon Street School, (as mentionedelsewhere in these forums),

Later at the main building on Maid Marion Way.

I can only remember one Tutor? '? Brooks', short guy talked with a lisp. Took us for Regulation.

There were hundreds of lads training to be electricians.

I often wondered where they were all going to work?

I found out in 1975, when the Greater Nottingham Co-op, reeling from the cost of building their new showpiece, the Broadmarsh store,

made cutbacks, (and me redundant!)

I spent a year there when I worked for GT Ranby before I went to the Coal Board.

There used to be a lecturer who wrote everything down on the blackboard, and you had to copy it, or he'd dictate his lesson. Never taught us like any of the others..

Blimey Mick! i went there during that era, it must have been 68'69 ish doing the ( the numbers will prob be wrong)......E51/2 or summat!! We used to go down to the amusement arcade further down the street, and spend lunchtime there. I should add i was only on day release there, on a monday, and in all honesty, hated the course, as i didnt much like the school like scenario! Would i have been in the same class room as you? bearing in mind i was day release. Oh, amost forgot, i worked for G.W. Limer on Chard st in New Basford.

I started at Peoples in 68, Motor vehicle technology, 44hrs a week in a garage in Sneinton, 12hrs at peoples on a Monday and 3 1/2 hrs Friday night after work for the princely sum of £3.1s 4d per week. Halcyon day's

Cheers

Roger

• 1 year later...

I was at Peoples from 66-70 on day release from the Raleigh as a Tinsmith (Sheetmetal). The first year we did night school at those huts down at Broad Marsh next to the old bus station and used to go into Towers pub at 1/2 time. I was in the same class as Andy Clifford who I beleive went on eventually run the Bench & Bar.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1968-1974, I attended Peoples College, as an Apprentice Ellectrician.

First at the old Huntingdon Street School, (as mentionedelsewhere in these forums),

Later at the main building on Maid Marion Way.

I can only remember one Tutor? '? Brooks', short guy talked with a lisp. Took us for Regulation.

There were hundreds of lads training to be electricians.

I often wondered where they were all going to work?

I found out in 1975, when the Greater Nottingham Co-op, reeling from the cost of building their new showpiece, the Broadmarsh store,

made cutbacks, (and me redundant!)

What do ya’ know? Only one year out.

I did electrical engineering there 1969 to 75.

I remember Brooks, I think. Nice bloke. Quite slight as I recall. I remember Mr. Greenwood, Mr.Allen and Mr Maise (not sure of the spelling).

I did the E51/B course. I took the E51/3A exam too as I was told it would come in useful. Don’t know how!

As I was doing day release and no one had noticed this I carried on and did the E235/C course too. By then I’d had enough of college. Doing all this had been hard enough for me anyway so I was pleased to call a halt.

Doing the E51/B 1 year I remember us having to traipse over to Huntingdon Street though what was left of the old Victoria station site to do an afternoon session then back to the college for another before going home.

That and a mid-week evening session that ended at 8.45 when doing the ‘C’.

I think this was at an old school off Derby Road. Not sure. Then a long wait for the No. 49 back to Bestwood Park.

Hi RWK,

I think the school off Derby road you refer to was on College street, part of Peoples back in the 60s/70s old Victorian building with windows too high up the walls to see out of, we also had Monday afternoon sessions there in 1969

Rog

Excellent. Thanks for that.

The bloke who did this evening session really didn’t want to be there. Probably less than we did anyway. We were there as we had to be and I suppose he was only there cos’ he needed the extra cash!

Maths/ electrical technology as I remember and bloody hard work if you’re rubbish at maths like me!!!!

(English non too hot either) ;)

I went to Peoples too in early seventies doing electronics. The only thing i can remember was trying to work out the value of a resister using the colour coded bands, that came in handy.

RWK i used to live on Stoneacre at Bestwood Park. did you ever go in the Cavalier?

I went to Peoples too in early seventies doing electronics. The only thing i can remember was trying to work out the value of a resister using the colour coded bands, that came in handy.

RWK i used to live on Stoneacre at Bestwood Park. did you ever go in the Cavalier?

Do you remember a family – name of Quorton? They lived on Stoneacre too.

Like the Waltons - there was loads of em'. David, Andrew, Richard and the rest.

Know them right back from my William Crane years!!

When I worked for the East Midland Gas Board in 1967 we had a 6 week on 6 week off block release apprenticeship at the Peoples College. Our workshop was next to the electrical workshop under the curved roof low level part. We also has theoretical classes on College Street. Memories eh?

When I first went to work for the gas board, our depot was on the corner of Huntingdon Street and Woodborough Road, where the Rest Home is now. Later, we moved to Lenton Industrial Estate, where Games World is now.

Anyone remember the Gasmen's strike in '67? I have a picture somewhere from the Evening Post with me on the front row

Hi RWK,

I think the school off Derby road you refer to was on College street, part of Peoples back in the 60s/70s old Victorian building with windows too high up the walls to see out of, we also had Monday afternoon sessions there in 1969

Rog

I attended the Peoples College on College Street between 1951/1954. It was then soley for the Building trade, covering subjects such as bricklaying, plastering,plumbing,etc. The intention was that pupils went into various building trades apprenticeships on completion of their study years.