Sinead O Connor R.I.P.

Shocking news that Sinead has died aged 56.

A stunningly good singer.

She was a troubled, but beautiful soul..who spoke her truth fearlessly,  and was proved right.

• Like 1

I'm disappointed, but not surprised, by the lack of love for Sinead.

Quite frankly Col I'm amazed at all the fuss. It's sad when someone dies, more so in these circumstances but to my mind she was hardly great 

I was aware of her musical career, but her 'greatest hit' Nothing compares 2 U is one of those songs that I can't stand, and if it comes on the radio I switch off.

I have sympathy with some of her extra-musical activities.

• Upvote 1

How can you not like a song written by Prince? Also huge talent, gone too soon. Look at the tribute to George Harrison where he just rocked up on the stage.  I always think that artists with huge mental health issues, treated usually by eventual addiction, write and sing from their experiences and from the heart. I went to see Whitney Houston in Birmingham on her last round of concerts and she was diabolical,  what a great waste of talent. The music industry, the availability of drugs and associated media coverage must be so tough to cope with.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Brew said:

Quite frankly Col I'm amazed at all the fuss. It's sad when someone dies, more so in these circumstances but to my mind she was hardly great 

Well.. in comparison to real vocal legends like Ray Charles, Joni Mitchell, Sarah Vaughan, Ella etc.. I can't disagree..  In comparison to 'folkies' like Mary Black, Sandy Denny and Co., she fares better... but that isn't quite the point...

She was unflinchingly.. and almost suicidally committed to her causes.  She railed against all sorts of injustice, but particularly against the Catholic Church in Ireland and its abuses of power.  

There's no doubt she was deeply troubled for much of her life yet she often admitted to mistakes.. but if anyone ever tried to fix both herself.. and the World she lived in.. it was her.

Can we ever be sure what she stood for? A passionate IRA supporter (youthful folly?), devout catholic. abandons both and ends as a muslim...

She was certainly searching for something - I hope she found it...

Is there a difference between a Republican and an IRA supporter?

Sort of..:)..

I actually have no idea whether she expressly supported the IRA, as opposed to just having Republican sympathies, and no time to research it now.  But support for a paramilitary organisation would seem to be at odds with her generally non-violent, but admittedly confused stance.