Homing in on 50 getting reflective.

Interesting posts and incredible memories MH.  I live close to Mountford House and a lot of the local little kids go there.  My sons are probably very near your age but we only moved to Mapperley Park 19 years ago from many miles away so I personally have no connection with the place.  It’s wonderful that you can recollect so much detail of your time there, well done! 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Great post MH, and almost certainly the longest post anyone has ever made on Nottstalgia.

Thank you, one thing that can be said about me is that if you ask me the time I will tell you how the clock is put together.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Interesting posts and incredible memories MH.  I live close to Mountford House and a lot of the local little kids go there.  My sons are probably very near your age but we only moved to Mapperley Park 19 years ago from many miles away so I personally have no connection with the place.  It’s wonderful that you can recollect so much detail of your time there, well done! 

I thank you for your reply, presently all I have is memories, which as in the case of the summer house which was actually an air raid shelter shows that we do paint over and touch up our memory landscapes.

I am writing this all down as there will be a point when it will fade away. Also I am being very introspective at the moment, sometimes to get the most out of the present day you have to understand what you are actually working with and for a lot of the time I have been ignoring the rattles as much you might on the car, but it has become a clunking sound now, so need to investigate.

It is which direction next that will be decided by which memories decide to float to the surface at the next time I have the patience or where with all to write.

I did have some questions.

I currently as I said only have two photographs from my life pre 26 in Nottingham. I was looking to piece together my life, I have my birth certificate, but was trying to do a who do you think you are? On myself, what other records would I be able to obtain about myself? The only place I remember things like school photographs being taken was Mountford House. My mam had one large one of everyone at the school, there was a playing field to the side of the school, which funnily enough wasn't used for playing on. I must have turned up late for that day at school as I was hastily added to the end of a row. So to help the memories is there any chance do you think that someone or somewhere would have stored the photos of pupils and of the schools? not just Mountford House but Parkdale, Carlton Le Willows and Rushcliffe Comp.

Would the council keep records of me at the various schools I went to? Long shot I know. But just trying to find paper trails. I can do the searching if the Populus can come up with the ideas.

Lastly I have two half sisters, my dad was married before and all I ever know of it is that he had to release all custody and claim to them. Aye, there's a whole story about this and when I do get to write about me Mam and Dad it will become abundantly clear why. But still, not sure how much older they are of me, if they would have any different memories of my dad? I find it difficult with connections with folks, so it would be not of yearning to find lost long family, more of a mental clerical clean up. Wondered is there a way of finding out who my dad fathered?

We will see where this leads and thank you for your time.

1 hour ago, Messy Hessey said:

I currently as I said only have two photographs from my life pre 26 in Nottingham. I was looking to piece together my life, I have my birth certificate, but was trying to do a who do you think you are? On myself, what other records would I be able to obtain about myself? The only place I remember things like school photographs being taken was Mountford House. My mam had one large one of everyone at the school,

Are you on Facebook ?  In recent years FB has turned into the main place for memories and nostalgia. There are a lot of Facebook Groups for particular schools and areas of Nottingham (or anywhere else). For instance, I belong to one which is specifically for school photos from schools in Clifton. I already had some of my own, but I've since seen dozens of other photos from all the various schools in Clifton going back to the 1950s.....as well as making contact with people who I hadn't seen for 50+ years.

• Upvote 1

As to school photos, letsavagoo and I have found many of our old primary school. Berridge. There's plenty of stuff out there.

On the recent visit to Berridge, we were joined by a chap another attendee had invited. He had a similar story to you. MH. After his years at Berridge, events in his family ended with him being taken into care. He had a rough time of it and now has nothing from his childhood. Thanks to a chap who made all his Berridge photos available to Letsavagoo who put them on this site, our friend was able to find an early class photo that included himself. Sadly, he wasn't on any of the others but I'm actively looking for photos of the parallel classes in that year which may include him.  He had only recently obtained his birth certificate and discovered that his birth name was different from the name he had always been known by. He has now switched names.  A nice chap who, through no fault of his own, had a rotten start in life. Things have improved for him but like yourself MH, he's been irresistibly drawn to revisit his past and make some sense of it.  Keep at it. You will find photos and memories out there.

For many years, I resisted joining Facebook. For me, it's not a patch on this site but it can net astounding results when you're looking for photos or information about the past.

• Upvote 1

@Messy Hessey there is certainly a Facebook page for Carlton le Willows.  You’ll obviously have to use your real name for that, though…. Best of luck in your search for details of your past….

2 hours ago, Messy Hessey said:

Would the council keep records of me at the various schools I went to? Long shot I know. But just trying to find paper trails. I can do the searching if the Populus can come up with the ideas.

Lastly I have two half sisters, my dad was married before and all I ever know of it is that he had to release all custody and claim to them. Aye, there's a whole story about this and when I do get to write about me Mam and Dad it will become abundantly clear why. But still, not sure how much older they are of me, if they would have any different memories of my dad? I find it difficult with connections with folks, so it would be not of yearning to find lost long family, more of a mental clerical clean up. Wondered is there a way of finding out who my dad fathered?

MH, regarding records of your schooling, school registers may have been deposited with Nottinghamshire Country Archives. However, they are classified and closed for up to 100 years, which is a pain in the back end. I would love to see the registers of my old primary school but no one knows where they are.

If you know the names of your half siblings, you can look for them on Ancestry, Find My Past or FreeBMD. Not sure when your parents were born but the 1939 register can provide some details of grandparents or other family members then living if they are now deceased. If you have ever had involvement with social services as a child (as was the case with our friend on the recent Berridge visit) you may be able to request the right to view your records under the Freedom of Information Act.

Otherwise Facebook is a tremendous help. Nottinghamshire Lost School Friends is a general Facebook site for those searching their schooldays. I've used it with great success.

Wishing you well in your search.

On 8/4/2023 at 9:03 AM, MargieH said:

@Messy Hessey there is certainly a Facebook page for Carlton le Willows.  You’ll obviously have to use your real name for that, though…. Best of luck in your search for details of your past….

My Surname isn't Messy but family name was Hessey, when I married though I took our lasses name.