Mich Stevenson and the Lace Market

I had not heard of Mich Stevenson before I was introduced to him a couple of days ago.  He spent a lot of time and effort saving some significant buildings in the Lace Market from demolition/redevelopment, including the Adams Building on Stoney Street and the Shire Hall on High Pavement.  He was instrumental in developing the latter into the Galleries of Justice (and more recently the National Justice Museum).  He played it down when we chatted but he is clearly a local hero for anyone interested in preserving the history of Nottingham.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/man-who-saved-lace-market-6969012.amp

https://nottinghamcitybusinessclub.co.uk/event/20-may-2022/

https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/eastmidlands/news/2026726-how-to-regenerate-a-city-centre-–-property-lunch-with-spenbeck

• Like 4

I'm not sure how busy and vibrant the Lace Market is at the moment; maybe it's just going through a quiet phase.

I wandered through the area a couple of weeks ago and there are quite a few closed/empty buildings which used to be bars and clubs. I know that business has its ups and downs, and it certainly looks a bit down at the moment.

The Adams Building and a few others are obviously still there and thriving so at least it's better than it was in the 60s and 70s.

CT., forgive my ignorance, but is the Lace market where Hockley is? Never too sure of that area as I never frequented there. I remember George st. and Broad st. from my bus driving days, but apart from shopping in Woolworth as a lad, thats about my lot. I certainly never went in any of the hostelries or coffee shops etc., could'nt afford it.

I am enjoying the information about the Lace Market. I worked on High Pavement for 3 years back in the 1970s and used to enjoy wandering around in my lunch breaks looking at the architecture so it's great that Mitch Stevenson did so much to preserve the area. It was all built on sandstone and many of the buildings had extensive cellars cut into the rock, including the place where I worked. There was a bricked up tunnel in our cellar which the boss claimed led directly to the crypt at St. Mary's. We used to get a full hour back in those days and no-one ate at their desks! Drinking in the dinner hour wasn't frowned on then and pubs I remember enjoying included The County Tavern on High Pavement, Loggerheads on Cliff Road, Town Arms at Plumptre Square, the Old Angel on Stoney Street and the Cross Keys on Byards Lane. Happy days!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Marrowman said:

pubs I remember enjoying included The County Tavern on High Pavement, Loggerheads on Cliff Road, Town Arms at Plumptre Square, the Old Angel on Stoney Street and the Cross Keys on Byards Lane. Happy days!

3 out of 5 are still there. Loggerheads and Town Arms have gone. (County Tavern is still there but under another name).

• Upvote 1