In the floods of 2000, I was working at Full Street, Derby. We got word that they were opening sluices much higher up the Derwent, to prevent flooding. The river level at the back of our workplace rose and our celler was flooded destroying all that was stored there.

I then realized that the Derwent enters the Trent upstream of Sawley, and set off hotfoot for Down town Sawley.

Unbeknown to me efforts to close the flood gates on the Canal near the railway bridge above Trent Lock had been unsuccessful. The canal released flood waters past the floodgates. Fortunately the flooding occurred north of the canal, instead of south of the canal. Otherwise the 1947 tide mark 3 feet above my skirting boards, found when I stripped off the wallpaper and now well painted over, would have reappeared.

The cause of the flood defence not closing, A motorbike dumped in the canal.

Taking what you have said mick regarding flooding around the Sawley area should i reconcider buying that Bungalow?

I see now why you put your shed on bricks, by the way did you manage to find a three foot ladder for it or did you eventually have to make one?

Still to do the Foundations (build me up buttercup) for the shed?

Where the shed is was a pond before the house was built.

1000 Frogs and toads cannot be wrong, when they return.

There is a photo on www.urban75.org,which shows the levels of the various floods. Interestingly, the 1946 flood seemed to have been only3 inches(remember inches?)below the 1947 one.The 2000 one seemed to have been 1 foot 3 inches less. I had quite forgotten those marks on the wall by T.B.

• 9 months later...

But 60 years when Alison began the thead :tease:

BTW, she rapidly disappeared following many rapid postings...reckon the forum's inbuilt chauvinism did for him/her! :Kiss:

Cheers

Robt P.

BTW, she rapidly disappeared following many rapid postings...reckon the forum's inbuilt chauvinism did for him/her! :Kiss:

Cheers

Robt P.

Where yer image gone Red?

chauvinism, thats a new one to me, do we come across like that. I hope not?

There is a problem with that link, do what i did use the one below.

Use this Link instead.

I have just read this guys postings all about Nottingham, and I came to the opinion that the author (not you BIP) was a stuck up tw*t, and you can think that says twit if you like

He missed the best part of Nottingham, if he had just turned around and walked down a bit from Midland station he would have seen the Nottingham Castle Rock Brewery.

as you say Beefy, ‘what a Knob!

Bip.

Well, Beefy, what do you expect? The tw*t comes from south Wales via Brixton! Hardly the best locations for fine examples of period architecture, so he has to slag Nottingham to make himself feel better!

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...