The Duke of Newcastle pub

hi all! i took these pics about a year ago now, this pub was my first proper local, and we all called it the duke of nuke,

even before we were old enough to drink we would hang about the back yard until jim flanagan, the landlord at the time, booted us out, so we would then hang about don's shop opposite. do these names jog anybody else's memories?

it loks like it will never be a pub again, because houses have been built right up against the back, as can just be seen in the second pic, taking out the back yard, skittle alley and gents

dukeofnuke002.jpg

dukeofnuke001.jpg

Those white lines are at the top of Bailey Street. My aunt and uncle lived a few doors down from there. After watching the coronation on their telly [bought specially for the occasion. 9 inch screen] we went to the Duke of Newcastle's coronation party. The beeroff opposite, I used to go in for my gran's jug of ale. She had the poker in the fire ready for my return, when she plunged it in the jug to warm the beer. Yum yum! She lived just round the corner, on Marlow Ave.

That pub is just up the road from where we stayed on our visit to the UK recently Phil.

Shame about all these old public houses going to rack & ruin. Once gone that's it, we have lost all that was good about the pub enviroment & it is never coming back.

hi katyjay, yeah its sad to see the old places go, you must know the barlay mow on basford road, the pub building is now converted into offices, and the first one to get knocked down was the masons down the road. the beeroff you talk about is the shop we all called dons (and he would tell us to bu99er off too if we got too noisey outside his shop!)

caz were you staying near western boulevard? thats where i lived with my parents until 2000

• 2 months later...

Just spotted this one.

(I was halfway across the Atlantic when this was posted)

Recording and posting images like this is absolutely what Nottstalgia is all about.

Thanks Phil.

If you see it dissapearing. SNAP IT!

Just spotted this one.

(I was halfway across the Atlantic when this was posted)

Recording and posting images like this is absolutely what Nottstalgia is all about.

Thanks Phil.

If you see it dissapearing. SNAP IT!

no worries mick! another old haunt of mine, the red lion at cinderhill has been boarded up for about 6-odd months now, with its proximity to a tram station, and the fact it has a massive car park, i.e. land, i think this pub will disapear, to be replaced by a rabbit hutch development. also one of the outbuildings appear to be burnt out.

and before i forget the pub opposite the gas works entrance on radford road (not sure of the name) is also boarded up and looks like its days as a pub are numbered i'm afraid.

i have been up to my neck in diy this weekend, but as soon as i get a spare bit of time me and my camera will be out and about.

this is nottstalgia's photo-recconaisance officer signing off!

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Sorry about what at first appears a very late reply to your pics, but only just joined the forum.

I have loads of great memories of the "Duke O Newc".

My mam was the barmaid there for a number of years. Her name was Irene. Small ,blonde haired woman. She later divorced my dad, and married the barman, Chalkie.

I was friends with Jim Flanagan, and his wife Margret.

I spent many a night with a "lock in". Although, as I recall, there were a lot of hangers on, that seemed to get included when it was my shout.

My wife was from just around the corner. (We met at the Nelson, by the flats.)

We moved to a different area in about 78/9 So our visits to the place became fewer.

The last time we went was on a wedding anniversary. To visit the pubs from our courting days.

It was a sad experience. There was only one guy in the place, and he had fell asleep. The barman was sat on a stool, casually picking his nose whilst reading The Post.

The seating was filthy. The atmosphere gone.

We had one drink and left.

Sad that it ended up as it did. Incidentally. Jim lives over at Lambley. His health has been bad for many years now. My Mam died last year.

Let me know when you were in there. We may know each other.

We most know each other! remember your mam and chalkie, plus of course Jim and Margaret, others I remember were Dave Frost, Eugene, Jim and John Downes, chip shop Bryan Honest Mick, Jeff Sheridan etc and of course Iris

• 1 year later...

eh up ashley! sorry for a massivley late reply, but a while ago my computer had a meltdown and i lost a lot of my bookmarks including this site, i've only found my way back due to discovering an old floppy disc with a bunch of bookmarks on it.

my mum and dad are still living on the boulevard, whilst i moved to aspley about 10 years ago now.

just yesterday i went past the duke and its had a big wooden fence put up round it, so i think it might not be there much longer, a lot of memories will go with that place!

been like that years! how you going on anyway? John is married again, an indian girl, got a lovely daughter, Ian is married too, he had to have an artificial hip couple of months ago but ok now walking great again, still hoping to be a rock star!

• 2 weeks later...

i'm getting married myself this year! i think you met maggy once, in the dirty duck, we'd just come back from a holiday in cornwall if i remember right. glad to hear the lads are doing alright too.

i'm just wondering if the duke is any kind of listed building? it looks to me like the classic "can't knock it down,so we'll leave it with the roof off for a few years till its declared dangerous" trick.

i personally believe that the hooleys building suffered a similar fate with "squatters accidentley starting a fire"

The Duke has been bought by a local shopkeeper who intends turning it into a mini supermarket with flats above, there is strong opposition to the plans and locals have petitioned against it, will let you know the outcome in the next few weeks.

Saddly now the White Swan has closed down and that too is being converted into 'living accommodation'.

Dunno what's happening to the Lord Nelson but there's a sign outside saying 'Cafe & Take Away' open 10am till 6pm !!!! :ohmy:

Finally, the Newcastle Arms is said to be the next to go.

My grandma lived in Marlow Avenue, with a high wall across the bottom of it. Over that wall was the cemetery [for St Leodegarius?] I wonder how many ex-drinkers in there are spinning in their graves! All their watering-holes are gone or going.

they'll have a job with the swan, its a listed building which is why it must be the only pub that didn't get the "knock all the rooms into one" treatment that most of the other pubs including the duke got.

incidently my decorating firm was the one that painted the duke through in, i think 1989. my boss took the old bar fitting away before it was skipped, and made a fireplace from it at his house!

• 4 weeks later...

The Newcastle Arms only has one room open regulary now, it is a drugs den/stolen property outlet and my guess is that the Police will apply for its licence to be revoked soon due to the large number of violent disturbances there connected to drug deals etc.

Katyjay, I used to deliver papers on Marlow ave as a lad, last house on the right, could never resist the urge to climb on the wall and look at the raised tombs and graves! :Vampire::Shock:

No definite news on the Duke yet, but the petition has very strong backing against the Mini market plans, more later.

Bill, my grandma was 2nd house on the right, number 4. As a kid I played in that avenue and thought it was quite big. But then again, no cars parked [nobody had one!] A few years ago, we were driving around Nottingham, looking at places from our youth and we pulled into Marlow Ave and my reaction was 'Wow, it's tiny and narrow' Funny how your perspective changes as you grow.

Got a Bygones yesterday and there is a whole page ad from Scottish and Newcastle Breweries, of pubs you can get. A picture of each one and the minimum capital required is there too. Listed are:

The Maypole, Wilford

Lord Nelson

Newcastle Arms

Royal Oak

Bensons

Four Bells

Double Top

Jolly Farmers

They all say Nottingham as the location, don't know where most of them are, but I do know the Four Bells is Woodborough as it's our friends' local.The last one is Ashfields, Kirkby in Ashfield.

So it looks like the Newcastle Arms will remain a pub.

the royal oak has gone, i think. it used to be next to the tesco's in top valley, i beleive it was bought out by tesco's with the idea of the petrol station being put there. of course strangley enough tesco's later expanded, took over the entire site, kicking out the chemists, newsagents etc that were there, and taking over their buisness, and the royal oak site was just left as waste ground.

I don't know Mick. It's a double fronted pub, 2 storey, with attached buildings either side, like it's in a row. The blurb says 'Prominent main street location, low overhead 1 room operation, opportunity for coffee and food offer and garden area to rear' Does that fit the bill?

Sounds a bit like the Lord Nelson on Percy Street Old Basford only it's not 'attached' to any buildings, took some photo's today, but don't know how to load/post them here.

Google, 'lord nelson pub percy street nottingham', a map should appear, click on the pubs name to the right of the map and you should get 'StreetView' scenes of the pub.

If it works, you can travel all round Basford/Whitemoor see all the other pubs, Swan, Fox n Crown, Hoss n Jockey, Duke of Nuke etc, And, a great shot of the Barleycorn just before it was demolished.

I have been on the S & N website and the Lord Nelson is actually 3 storey and is on Front St, Arnold. The Royal Oak is in East Bridgford.

The pub that was next to tesco at top valley was the royal hunt, nearly all the pubs in Bestwood and Top valley have all closed, the nearest 1 being the oxclose on oxclose lane, or the park tavern on arnold road.

Deerstalker - childrens nursery

Green barrel - demolished, housing development

Goose fair - demolished, housing development

Nell gwynn - demolished, apartments

Harvesters - burnt down

Charlie 2 - being developed into something else, not sure for what purpose probably retail

Cavalier - not sure if it has been demolished yet, but was closed for years

Royal hunt - demolished as part of new tesco

Duke of st albans - not sure but i think it is still closed

Heathfield - planning to turn into apartments

Standard of england - demolished

The last 2 are in Basford, i know but were local to Bestwood, and i noticed that the Apollo at Bulwell is now closed.