Steve Harley of Cockney Rebel dies age 73, the dreaded cancer again, RIP Steve

Rog

I bought the first two Cockney Rebel LPs when they were released. I liked them; they were interesting and original.

People with long memories might remember the first single 'Judy Teen'.

• Like 1

Very sad.  I’m sure I saw recently that he was touring this year.
Whenever I hear  ‘Make Me Smile’ I’m reminded of a funeral of one of our employees, aged only 52 (20 years ago) who was so well known and liked, certainly in our industry. There was a massive funeral in Sedgefield Parish Church, followed by a cremation.  His wife was on the wacky baccy outside the Crematorium and had to be gently encouraged to follow the coffin into the building, followed by all the other mourners.  She went dancing in, waving her arms about and singing to the sound of Steve Harley’s ‘Make Me Smile’ that was being played over the sound system.  After the wake we were invited back to the family home where they tried unsuccessfully to get us to adopt Maz’s 6 foot long snake.  What a memorable day, particularly for my husband who gave the eulogy to hundreds of mourners, unaccustomed as he is to public speaking!

• Like 3

Thats the way to go out Lizzie

Rog

First time I saw Steve Harley perform was in about 1974, at Tiffany’s Night Club in Derby. There were about fifty people there, most of whom were completely disinterested and waiting for the disco music to start.

Next time I saw him was only a year later. He was one of the headliners at Reading Rock Festival, playing to thousands and getting a great reception from a very difficult crowd who were known to show their appreciation or otherwise of performers by showering the stage with bottles and cans.

The soundtrack of my youth grows ever quieter. Make me Smile was one of my few Glam Rock favourites, released in January of the year we emigrated to OZ.

Thanks for Glam Rocks greatest song RIP Steve Harley.