Frank Ifield died last Saturday aged 86, I thought he would have been much older.

He certainly had an impact on popular music in the sixties. I never liked yodeling so it put me off his music somewhat. His most famous hit was I Remember You.

He certainly was a part of the ever quietening soundtrack of my youth. RIP Frank Ifield

Crikey!  I've heard nothing about that at all here..   R.I.P indeed.

Like most kids at the time, I liked 'I Remember You', and was completely unaware of the origin of the song..recorded by Jimmy Dorsey in 1942.

Frank went on to have other hits.  'She Taught Me To Yodel'.. etc..

My Mum loved him and I recall her having an LP on which he sang  lots of songs which I later discovered were versions of originals by Hank Williams (Cold Cold Heart), Slim Whitman (Love Song of the Waterfall) and Jim Reeves, among others.

Frank could sing.  R.I.P.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

Crikey!  I've heard nothing about that at all here..  

DJ360 Probably that's because in 1988 he returned to live in Dural, one of Sydney's semi-rural outer northwestern suburbs.

• Like 1

His death was announced on the BBC News website at the weekend. I, too, thought he was much older. His father, apparently, was an inventor.

• Like 1

We’ve been trying to remember an occasion when we went to a village fete or similar, somewhere close to where we were living in Bedfordshire.  We both recall meeting Frank Ifield, at his home, on that day.  We can’t for the life of us remember any more about the day so it wasn’t that memorable, although it’s nearly 50 years ago anyway.  

EDIT.  The cogs in our brains have been churning away and we think it was Whipsnade (village not the Zoo) where we met him,  seem to remember he had a tea shop at his home.  

@Lizzieypur writing about village fetes reminded me that I once saw Gert and Daisy at a fete at Chapel

St Leonard’s around 1950.  Most of you will no doubt be saying “who on earth were they?”

I think they were suppoosed to be sort of comediennes but I could hardly see them anyway as the field was very crowded (and I was small)

Gert and Daisy were sisters also known a Elsie and Doris Waters.

Their brother Jack Waters changed his name to Jack Warner and became well known actor in films such as The Blue Lamp and Train of Events, as well as playing lead role of George Dixon in Dixon of Dock Green,  for several hundred years.. At least it felt like that.

Elsie and Dorris Waters. I remember them. They weren’t remotely funny.

I’ve never met anyone famous. I once sat next to Princess Michael of Kent (I was told afterwards) on a flight from Milan (we didn't  enjoin in scintillating conversation) and I once smiled at Lionel Blair in the newsagent’s at Heathrow. I also stood next to Stirling Moss in the check in queue.

I met Princess Alexandra as a child when I was a member of The Junior Red Cross and she was its patron.  Knew Su Pollard extremely well, having grown up with her around The Cooperative Arts' Theatre. Also met Bill Maynard in role as Claude Greengrass (Heartbeat).  My second home was North Yorkshire, so you might imagine I encountered him in Goathland where the series was filmed but...no. He was standing outside what was then Kwiksave in Alfreton, collecting for a charity that was close to his heart and he was patron of. He had with him, Alfred, the scruffy lurcher dog who appeared in the programme.. More people wanted to meet Alfred than Bill but we had a chat and he came across as a very pleasant chap.

We went for lunch in a hotel in Campbeltown on the Mull of Kintyre and the waitress said ‘Och, you’ve just missed Mr. Mcartney!’ ( He had a farm nearby when he was married to Linda.)
Cambeltown is a fishing port. We ordered crab salad. The crab was out of a tin!

22 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Elsie and Dorris Waters. I remember them. They weren’t remotely funny.

I’ve never met anyone famous. I once sat next to Princess Michael of Kent (I was told afterwards) on a flight from Milan (we didn't  enjoin in scintillating conversation) and I once smiled at Lionel Blair in the newsagent’s at Heathrow. I also stood next to Stirling Moss in the check in queue.

You’ve obviously not mixed in the right circles smile2