Drink Your local Brew.

I had a professor at Uni who previouly was a chemist at Shipstone's. He told us that the spring water for the brewery was contaminated by the Basford gas works (town gas days) and so much of Shipstones beer was brewed using municipal piped water - true/false, anyone confirm?

Certainly, the quality of the water can affect the brew and its keeping/travelling capabilities. Burton ales were particularly renowned for being able to travel an this being put down to the water filtering through Derbyshire limestone.

I recall drinking Shipstones, it lived up to its anagram.

If you feel like the bottom has fallen out of your world , drink Shipstones and let the world fall out your bottom.

my fave is nottingham epa or bullion. miss drinking in the plough since i moved to newthorpe but there's a brewery her just moved from ilkeston called blue monkey and id recommend trying a pint....will keep my eyes open for harvest pale and magpie brewery and try those too.

• 6 years later...

Wow some cracking informative intelligent posts in this tread & look how popular real ale is now since this tread started ... innovators! 

Another label from my found book bit of "KOPS STOUT" anyone? Puts hairs on you chest?

P1130780_zpsmmfwwx7r.jpg

Hello Ian #33

Wasn't Brew XI Mitchell and Butlers? "For the Men of the Midlands" I used to like a drop of that too along with an occasional Ansells Mild.

Apart from Mansfield Brewery beers my favourite Nottingham Drop was Home Brewery 5 Star.

Brew X1, ugh, where's local loyalty? Unless I was on a pub crawl, I invariably drank Home bitter, or Shippos depending on which pub I was in. However, The Bell was mainly Red Barrel, Dog & Bear was Worthington E, Sal was Whitbread Tankard ugh! Spread Eagle was Worthington. Guildhall Tavern was Kimberley. Ansells and M&B were never my favourites.

On Forest away trips though, we'd drink anything. The worst by far was Bank's at Wolves, and Brains in Wales. 

God, how did I survive? 

• Upvote 1

Just remembered one I was never keen on, Newcastle Brown, totally over rated, but I've had plenty! 

Hi Oz, one of my favourites in recent years was Mansfield Original Bitter, and Mansfield Marksman lager. 

Since closure of the brewery, its bitter production is now somewhere in the West Midlands . I've not seen it on draught but it's obtainable in cans. I have bitter memories (excuse the pun) of Marksman lager, it got me banned from driving for 18 months in the early 80's. 

Here's one for you FLY2 #36 and for Ian #33, My brother tells me that Brains are brewing BrewXI these days, a double dislike for FLY2.

What about Double Diamond?

Hardy Hansons mild wasn't a bad drop and I didn't mind the odd pint from the Newark breweries, Holes or Warwick  or occasionally a pint of Stones bitter

By far the best for me was :-

Image result for mansfield brewery

• Upvote 1

The Goldsmith Tavern on Shakespeare St was Holes. God, that was terrible, but in there, we mainly drank Light & Bitter which was quite palatable. 

Yes, DD was ok. When yer young though, you'll drink owt ! 

The mining village I was brought up in had a great choice of beers and pubs and like has been said a lot depended on how the landlord kept the beer and cleaned out the pipes as to how the same beer tasted.

The Miners Welfare and the Working Mens' Club Mainly Mansfield and Home Brewery

One Home Brewery Pub

One Shipstones Pub

Three Mansfield pubs

One Hardy Hansons pub

One Stones pub formerly Warwick's Ales

What village was that Oz? If you don't mind me asking. 

Stones was a good drink. Trips to South Yorkshire footy grounds. Barnsley Bitter too. Lovely.

No problem in asking Fly, it was Bliduth hence my knowledge of the Midland General B8, F3 and Trent routes and the surrounding countryside.

Visits to Nottingham were regular as 60 year supporter of the Reds and frequenting many of the cities hostelries, dance halls, clubs and cinemas in my youth. Alas many of the pubs in the village are long gone and knocking down the Forest Folk with its James Prior room to build a bl**dy Tesco was wanton vandalism. The closure of the colliery in 1989 saw a long slow demise of the colliery welfare, a magnificent building with excellent sporting facilities which are still there but the Welfare with its prominent position on the hill on the road leading to Renuth has been demolished.

The Black Bull - used to be a Shippo's pub, I think it sells local craft/cask beers now but not sure.

The Bird in Hand is still a Mansfield pub

The Fox and Hounds at Blid Bottoms used to be a Kimberly pub but now sells craft/cask beers

I had meals in all of them last time I was back and they were all very good

• Upvote 1