Prototype Video Recorders In Nottingham

Another first for Nottingham was the first video recorder designed for the domestic market.

It used a reel to reel format rather than a cassette and was made by the Nottingham Valve Company - it never went into production.

This item was split from another thread by an Administrator.

Should this be from another Decade, Notify a Moderator, who will move it to

the appropriate decade forum

Very Interesting :D

Where was the Nottingham Valve Company?

I know the Valve Shop, top of Radford Road. In fact that is still there.

We could do with some photographs, before it dissapears!

:D The Telcan fixed-head longitudinal videotape recorder, an early device intended for use in home-taping of television programmes. The recorder, mounted on the top of a television cabinet, uses quarter-inch tape running at 120 ips past fixed heads, carrying two 15-minute tracks. The intended price is £61 19s (£61.90). It has been developed by Norman Rutherford and Michael Turner of Nottingham Electronic Valve Company (NEVC), but neither Telcan nor NEVC survive.

An actual model can be found in Nottingham Industrial Museum. The website devoted to the country house, Wollaton Park, where the museum is located, not only gives an incorrect date for Telcan's invention but mischievously implies that Rutherford and Turner were the inventors of video recording and that this was the breakthrough invention that lies behind all today's home video. [it also claims that 'cat's eyes' used for marking the centre of roads were invented by a Nottingham man, when everyone—and especially every Yorkshireman—knows they were invented by a man named Percy Shaw from Boothtown, Halifax, Yorkshire, who became one of T S Eliot's 'Bradford millionaires'.

B) If you want to know more use the link >

http://www.terramedia.co.uk/video/telcan.htm

post-14-1103626834_thumb.jpg

This was my first VCR bought in the 70's

Fantastic system, more populor in Europe.

You could turn the tape over and record on the other side.

v2k_gv01.jpg

http://home.planet.nl/~mhamm/Video/PHILIPS/v2000/v2000.htm

Video 2000

Video 2000 was developed by Philips and Grundig as a replacement for their ageing VCR, VCR-LP and SVR format machines and as a direct competitor to VHS and BETA. It boasted a flip-over cassette fractionally bigger than a VHS cassette, which could record up to 4 hours on each side. It also used a system of "Automatic" tracking with it's Dynamic Track Following (DTF) system. This meant that the tracking was always 100% perfect even on still pause and picture search modes. It achieved this by having the video heads mounted on piezo electric actuators which followed the tracks as they were scanned.

Superficially the first generation Video2000 machines resembled their earlier relatives, the VCR and VCR-LP machines (N1500, N1700 etc.) They were roughly the same size and weight as the older machines, but that's where the similarity ended; the new machines were operated with all-electronic soft-touch buttons, and a micro processor was used to control the tape transport. The machines all featured a "GoTo" button whereby a specific tape-counter number could dialled in and the machine would speed off and find it. There was a problem with this, whereby the tape had to be rewound to the beginning if the counter was to be relied on to find a specific program. Also if the counter had gone backwards beyond zero, the the machine would wind the tape the wrong way to get to the specific number. The first three Video2000 machines could be converted to remote control with a little box that plugged into the front of the machine, although later machines had remote control as standard.

The first V2000 format machine was the VR2020. This didn't have a still-pause or picture search modes, but still used DTF. There were several badge engineered versions of the VR2020 from manufacturers such as Bang and Olufsen, ITT, Pye etc.

Soon afterwards followed the Philips VR2021 and VR2022. Although the VR2021had an identical feature set to the VR2020, it had more in common electronically with the VR2022 which had extra "Trick Play" facilities such as noise-free picture search and still pause. These two newer machines also used much nicer looking chrome on the front panel instead of Aluminium which tended to corrode easily.

• 3 years later...
Very Interesting :D

Where was the Nottingham Valve Company?

I know the Valve Shop, top of Radford Road. In fact that is still there.

We could do with some photographs, before it dissapears!

Saw Google reading this, so I bumped it.

If anyone can get a pic of the Valve Shop Radford Road?, Please post here.

If anyone can get a pic of the Valve Shop Radford Road?, Please post here.

Your word is my command Boss (went down to the office really, just around the corner)

DSC_0004-1.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0003-1.jpg

They don't still stock the Mullard EF84 do they?

Couldn't find it on their web site Mick - but you could always e-mail them

http://www.thevalveshop.co.uk/

http://www.thevalveshop.co.uk/contactus.html

I distinctly recall spotting one in a shop window somewhere up near the theatre in 1963, there was also a music shop on the corner with a rickenbacker in the window. This recorder used reel to reel wide tape (1 inch?) and was possibly a first with a rotating head system. Very chunky beast it was.

Mick, if you want old valves I have about 4000 of them. Look me up as elocwerdna1 on Ebay.

Andrew.

• 1 month later...
This was my first VCR bought in the 70's

Fantastic system, more populor in Europe.

You could turn the tape over and record on the other side.

v2k_gv01.jpg

http://home.planet.nl/~mhamm/Video/PHILIPS/v2000/v2000.htm

Video 2000

Video 2000 was developed by Philips and Grundig as a replacement for their ageing VCR, VCR-LP and SVR format machines and as a direct competitor to VHS and BETA. It boasted a flip-over cassette fractionally bigger than a VHS cassette, which could record up to 4 hours on each side. It also used a system of "Automatic" tracking with it's Dynamic Track Following (DTF) system. This meant that the tracking was always 100% perfect even on still pause and picture search modes. It achieved this by having the video heads mounted on piezo electric actuators which followed the tracks as they were scanned.

Superficially the first generation Video2000 machines resembled their earlier relatives, the VCR and VCR-LP machines (N1500, N1700 etc.) They were roughly the same size and weight as the older machines, but that's where the similarity ended; the new machines were operated with all-electronic soft-touch buttons, and a micro processor was used to control the tape transport. The machines all featured a "GoTo" button whereby a specific tape-counter number could dialled in and the machine would speed off and find it. There was a problem with this, whereby the tape had to be rewound to the beginning if the counter was to be relied on to find a specific program. Also if the counter had gone backwards beyond zero, the the machine would wind the tape the wrong way to get to the specific number. The first three Video2000 machines could be converted to remote control with a little box that plugged into the front of the machine, although later machines had remote control as standard.

The first V2000 format machine was the VR2020. This didn't have a still-pause or picture search modes, but still used DTF. There were several badge engineered versions of the VR2020 from manufacturers such as Bang and Olufsen, ITT, Pye etc.

Soon afterwards followed the Philips VR2021 and VR2022. Although the VR2021had an identical feature set to the VR2020, it had more in common electronically with the VR2022 which had extra "Trick Play" facilities such as noise-free picture search and still pause. These two newer machines also used much nicer looking chrome on the front panel instead of Aluminium which tended to corrode easily.

YEAH....ADMIN

I STILL HAVE A PHILLIPS 2000 THE MODEL BEFORE THAT ON THE PICTURE, IN THE LOFT AND A CART LOAD OF TAPES IN A BOX.

• 3 months later...
YEAH....ADMIN

I STILL HAVE A PHILLIPS 2000 THE MODEL BEFORE THAT ON THE PICTURE, IN THE LOFT AND A CART LOAD OF TAPES IN A BOX.

i had a dream last night i found my old video 2000 in a shop for £40. got me wishing i still had it. would you be willing to part with yours?

• 2 months later...
:D The Telcan fixed-head longitudinal videotape recorder, an early device intended for use in home-taping of television programmes. The recorder, mounted on the top of a television cabinet, uses quarter-inch tape running at 120 ips past fixed heads, carrying two 15-minute tracks. The intended price is £61 19s (£61.90). It has been developed by Norman Rutherford and Michael Turner of Nottingham Electronic Valve Company (NEVC), but neither Telcan nor NEVC survive.

An actual model can be found in Nottingham Industrial Museum. The website devoted to the country house, Wollaton Park, where the museum is located, not only gives an incorrect date for Telcan's invention but mischievously implies that Rutherford and Turner were the inventors of video recording and that this was the breakthrough invention that lies behind all today's home video. [it also claims that 'cat's eyes' used for marking the centre of roads were invented by a Nottingham man, when everyone—and especially every Yorkshireman—knows they were invented by a man named Percy Shaw from Boothtown, Halifax, Yorkshire, who became one of T S Eliot's 'Bradford millionaires'.

B) If you want to know more use the link >

http://www.terramedia.co.uk/video/telcan.htm

Although I cannot recall the firm being called that (my dad worked making pipeline valves so think I'd remember) this has to be the firm I worked for in 1964, there were 2 partners and the workshop was the top floor of the still there wycliffe mill on corner of wycliffe street and gawthorn street off north gate new basford, at that time it was still experimental but I think they had some out on display etc, seem to recall the brains of the outfit lived radcliffe on trent way? was not there long (one of many jobs!) but read feature about such in revellie magazine later at a barbers, also heard they sold out to JVC but no idea if true