The Odeon, 1971

Found this shot whilst surfing images. Some good stuff on at the pictures that day. What took me aback was how dated the cars looked for 1971. I recognise the motors but am not sure, is the one on the left a M11 Ford Cortina? What about the one on the right - A Vauxhall Corsair?

nottingham.jpg

I reckon you are right Stu regarding the Cars but no doubt someone with greater knowledge than both of us will put us right if we are wrong.......hope that made sense. !tony!

Passed there last night didn't take much notice of what is there now.

I reckon you are right Stu regarding the Cars but no doubt someone with greater knowledge than both of us will put us right if we are wrong.......hope that made sense. !tony!

Passed there last night didn't take much notice of what is there now.

Passed there mysefl on Friday, mate. Seems to just be a bit of a shell now. I've seen some pics from inside recently - maybe on here? I do think it's a shame. When you see the good work they've done at the likes of Broadway Cinema it's easy to see what's possible. Not all of us like going to these North American style multiplexes. I miss the old Odeon.

Incidentally whilst visiting the Bell Inn with a girlfriend, I was lured into heading up Hurts Yard to that Kukarama's (sp) place AGAIN. How does a pub with no beer taps work then? Can you or anyone explain that one to me? Never again...

Sorry Stu i have now knowledge of the place or the workings of it.

Bip.

You don't want to mate. Me and my girl where comfortably the oldest people in there by at least 25 years. She said to me that she felt like she'd come in to collect her kids! There's no draft beer, the music is loud and shite and it's full of students. Stick to the Poacher - you know it makes sense.

One of my very favourites too, Mick. Loved the scene on the school football field when Brian Glover as the sports teacher was acting out his Denis Law fantasy! From first reading that book and seeing the film when I was around 14 I still have a love and fascination for hawks to this day. Some of my favourite creatures, wonderful things.

One of my very favourites too, Mick. Loved the scene on the school football field when Brian Glover as the sports teacher was acting out his Denis Law fantasy! From first reading that book and seeing the film when I was around 14 I still have a love and fascination for hawks to this day. Some of my favourite creatures, wonderful things.

Kes, written by Barry Hines, he also wrote "What Price Coal" Brilliant writer, never worked in a pit in his life and yet caught the atmosphere brilliantly. Yorkshireman by birth so portrayed the Yorkshire life perfectly.

Can't help with the cars, forgotten the models around way back then.

I have said this on here some where else but my mum and dad had their wedding reception in the room under the Odeon (1953)

And the one on the left is a Mark II Cortina, as mentioned. I had one in the early seventies RKN 408G, got a piccie somewhere, I'll dig it out.

The wings used to rust where the mirrors were attached - bu99er!

Certainly can Stu. Double Webber Carburettors. One can but dream.

Was the 'Ghia' badge out at that time? I was a Ford man for many years. I worked my way up to a Mk V Cortina then took a job with a company car so I had to sell it. Damn, it was plush, with fabric seats, 2 tone purple paint job, and a Ghia badge.

Not sure mate. The Ghia's were nice models though weren't they. When I think of the Lotus Cortina's for some reason I visualise the original Mk1 model in the Lotus livery but of course they carried the tradition on. I can't think I've seen sight of any Lotus Cortina anywhere for many a year. I suppose there were just very few of them built. Great cars of the time.

Certainly can Stu. Double Webber Carburettors. One can but dream.

Was the 'Ghia' badge out at that time? I was a Ford man for many years. I worked my way up to a Mk V Cortina then took a job with a company car so I had to sell it. Damn, it was plush, with fabric seats, 2 tone purple paint job, and a Ghia badge.

IIRC correctly the "E" for Executive was the top of the line for the Mark 2 Cortina.

The Ghia version didn't appear until the Mk 4 in the mid Seventies.

I remember a mate of mine having a Cortina Savage. Another souped up version of the mark 2

• 11 months later...