Chippy's Ain't Wot They Used To Be!

Compo #74 Salt and Pepper Squid is one of my favourites.

The trick is not to cook it too long as it can get chewy. Don't overload the oil, just cook a few at a time, and if needed let it come back up to heat

You can put the cooked squid in a pre heated oven to keep warm whilst you cook the rest.

Here is a recipe from Taste.com.au a cooking website that serves 4

Alternatively you can cut the hoods into rings instead of strips

Ingredients

3 (about 600g) large cleaned squid hoods
1L (4 cups) vegetable oil
40g (1/4 cup) plain flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
Lemon wedges and soy sauce with sliced fresh red chilli, to serve

Method

• Step 1
    Use a sharp knife to cut through 1 side of each squid hood lengthways. Open out flat with inside surface facing up and score surface diagonally. Cut into 3.5cm squares and pat dry with paper towel.
  • Step 2
    Heat the oil in a large wok over medium heat until it reaches 190°C on a confectionary/oil thermometer. (Or, add a 5cm cube of bread to the oil - it should turn light golden in 10 seconds.)
  • Step 3
    Meanwhile, combine the flour, salt, pepper, Chinese five-spice and chilli in a medium bowl. Add the squid and toss gently to coat.
  • Step 4
    Remove half of the squid from the flour mixture and shake off any excess. Add to the oil and cook, turning with a slotted metal spoon, for 2 minutes or until the squid just turns golden and curls. Use the slotted spoon to transfer the squid to a large plate lined with paper towel to drain. Reheat the oil in the wok to 190°C. Repeat with the remaining squid.
  • Step 5
    Serve immediately with the lemon wedges and chilli soy sauce.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

^^^^^^^That Chinese chippy is that the one where the sign above the window read FISH    R. JUST   CHIPS. I always assumed the owner was R. Just

Compo #74 Salt and Pepper Squid is one of my favourites. The trick is not to cook it too long as it can get chewy. Don't overload the oil, just cook a few at a time, and if needed let it come bac

Perhaps a Nottstalgia outing there then !

Posted Images

Thanks for the recipe Oztalgian! It is battered squid for tea tonight and I shall get more for next week and try the above recipe.  Nora will take some persuading to try it though :(

Oztalgian: My squid was frozen and I'm afraid it was not a huge success. It was quite rubbery - not the Benny Hill Chinese rubbery either! :)

Oh dear! Compo, you can cook it from frozen but it needs to be thawed overnight in the fridge and then washed under cold running water to remove any grit or sand that may be left. There are only two ways to cook squid hot and fast or low and slow. Anything else usually results in a chewy rubbery textured outcome. Keep trying when you get it right it is good grub.

• Upvote 1

Or use the same batter with king prawns. Lovely.

To matters in hand, the Magpie is not too badly damaged and still sold fish and chips from the stall.

I recall two chippies, one on Bobbers Mill Road (Dogger Bank)and one near the Wheatsheaf, (Brights) now a Chinese chippy. I recall really big blocks of lard being melted in the ranges they had. 

I have fond memories of the chippy on Salop Street, Daybrook.  In the 1950s it was run by a foreign lady (I think she may have been German) with a local husband.  She ran the shop and he did the potato peeling, chipping and fish preparation, etc..  The shop was on the end of the terrace and would never pass muster in these times of health and safety policing....but what a lovely lady she was.  I saw her again in the 1970s running a chippy on Carlton Road (Near the old Suburban railway bridge) and then again in the early 80s running one in Dunkirk.  I expect she will have died by now but she always gave great value for money and service with a big smile.

• Upvote 1