Chippy's Ain't Wot They Used To Be!

They just ain't the same any more!

Lot's of chip shops taken over by immigrants (who make great Kebabs etc).

Chinese chips are great but have a quality all their own.

Traditional Fish & Chips, don't seem to be around anymore!

Overpriced, now a luxury meal, without the taste. Cost me four quid for F&C !

Well I found one place, Jackson's Chippy in Ilkeston. Superb Gravy with the Pie & Chips :D

I am told F&C is great here but not tried it yet.

Georges here in Long Eaton is pretty good but still not the traditional taste.

Can anyone help me out here, where can I find a decent chippy.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

^^^^^^^That Chinese chippy is that the one where the sign above the window read FISH    R. JUST   CHIPS. I always assumed the owner was R. Just

Compo #74 Salt and Pepper Squid is one of my favourites. The trick is not to cook it too long as it can get chewy. Don't overload the oil, just cook a few at a time, and if needed let it come bac

Perhaps a Nottstalgia outing there then !

Posted Images

The Chinese owned chipshop near us is very good!

the gals in there ex stokers off the Queen Mary, they just keep shovelling and shovelling into that bag!..

for around £1 one can feed a family of four!.. and are as near traditional as you can get! :P

Jacksons as you mention is also a good chippy, at least you get good value for money and their fish and chips are amongst the best around.. :P:P

what I don't like is those shops that like to meter their chips into those cones, you just know you're being ripped off, and the chips are usually tasteless.. :(

I reckon there ought to be an Egon Ronay guide to all these chipshops, and then maybe we'll know exacly whether or not we're getting full value for our £2.50 or whatever!

ilko.

I have a funny story about a fish & chip shop.When we were on holiday last year [in Nottm of course] we went to a fish & chip shop anyway we went there about 8.30 at night ordered & waited & the young woman serving noticed my accent[no no not Nottm!!] so we got talking & we asked where she was from & she said Greece,now you didn't have to be Einstein to work out that she obviously wasn't from Greece,we thought maybe Afghanistan as the kids were very dark,so obvviously she felt the need not to disclose that fact. Is there a problem in Nottm with Immigrants to the point where they have to hide it??

By the way the fish & chips were excellent

• 2 weeks later...

I went to chip pan alley last time I visited my sis {gives you a clue as to where she lives!!??} the chips & gravy were to die for, all the chips we have here in Oz are frozen & just aren't the same, I don't eat them very often,but it's worth waiting until i'm on holidays in Nottm to savour them .

• 7 years later...

Last time I had a meal in Skeg was around 1983.

Small place upstairs on the main road opposite the COOP

Korky's, Great Steak meal

I believe its still there?

Any updates on decent Chippies?

Or memories of long gone emporiums?

Big chippy, sit down cafe upstairs, was on the old broadmarsh near the Sherwood rooms, I think it was called Greyfriars me mam used to take me there in the early 60's

its hard to find a decent F&C... sometimes the fish is just chewy, soggy batter, tasteless chips... so im quite fussy what chippy i go to. The best one iv found so far is Micks fish & chip shop on Burton road, carlton. We get our F&C or pie, chips & gravy from there every few weeks,not over priced & its not greasy like alot of chippys are either. been told hes won some kind of rewards too? if he has - i can see why! bladdy beautiful food, would recomend to anyone passing through carlton or living near by.

& for the best kebab, now i cant eat a kebab in a sober state... but, i fancied a kebab the other night so ordered from the oakdale tandori, for £11 we wasnt expecting much for two of us... We got a huge tub of non greasy donner, a huge tub of chicken kebab, two shish, two of them shish/sausage type kebab meaty things (LOL) a large chinese chicken leg, two huge bags of fresh salad, 2 massive naan, 5 tubs of sauce and a bottle of pop & chips. there was clearly enough to feed at least 4 people, it was lovely! but i doubt ill order from there again unless there was more of us.

That's Carlton Hill Den!

The Kebab shop in Carlton Square over the road from The Balcks Head do a very nice one , it comes in a Naan bread as opposed to a Pitta! I've had two from there in the past and never been able to finish one . !! (The chips though leave an awful lot to be desired as they are frozen 'French Fried' type.)

I remember a chippy in Carlton when i was a kid owned by an old lady i think it was on Burton road she used to cook them in a black cauldren i used to tell my Mum she was a witch, the chips were lovely

The one on Carlton Hill near the Nags Head was run by a little old lady until around 1980 !! We used to think she was a witch !!

There was one down Burton Road , nearly opposite the junction with Park Road, that was called "Dimmis" The woman who did the serving always looked like she'd put her make up on with a trowel !! And there were rumours that "Old man Dimmi" used to spit in the fat to see if it were hot enough ! But more than likely that was started by a disgruntled customer, so it was taken with a pinch of salt

(And a liberal sprinkling of vinegar .................................. slywink )

The one im talking about if just up from the Inn for a penny pub & the petrol station - oposite the old peoples home. Where abouts was 'Dimmi's?' Maybe its where the hair dressers is now...

Where I said it was , "nearly opposite the junction with Park road". Nearer Carlton square, just out a bit from "The Old Volunteer"

I love making myself a plate of home made chips. Comfort food do you think?

When I was a kid, during the school holidays for a treat my mum used to make my sister and myself chips. She made the best chips you ever tasted: thickly sliced, crisp on the top and soft in the middle. She'd serve them for us in a piece of Co-op waxed bread paper; my sister and myself would sit and enjoy them, either outside in the garden or out on the front, sitting at the pavement's edge.

Oooh, one thing i love is home made chips! I want to get myself a fryer, but with only a tiny kitchen.. i think itd make the house stink of fat :( When house-stting once, i made amazing home made fish & chips, made homemade batter but only some fresh pollock steaks - nothing special. But even that beat any chippy, hands down. Home made crisps have got to be the best too, abit of seasalt & splash of vinega.. mmm.. Making me want to get myself a mini fryer now!!