Yes mate. Apparently Flares is a chain of pubs. (That's a whole chain of pubs I'll never enter!)

Garish, loud, team of apes on the door, these are some of the best things about Flares.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Real spit and sawdust that place!! we used it as short cut only

The first place I got a lock in was down the other end of that stretch of Parliament St, same side as the COOP near the Albany can't remember the name, (Bit of a funny pub IMMSC if you know what I mean)

Flares, is that it's latest incarnation?

I used to go in there regularly until I moved abroad. I also used to drink over the road in 'The stage door' in the week it was my local, for some silly reason, I was good mates with Mr Lloyd and it also made it convenient for working next door at 'Arrabellas'

Ah, good old Larry! Back when i was on Century, him and Darren Fletcher were doing sport, and if ever I played a Fat Larrys Band track, I always metioned Mr Lloyd. I still walk strangely from the microphone he stuffed up my arse in a bid for me to not refer to him whenever an FLB track was in my show.

As for Arrabellas, I did a few gigs there, was it still that when Zak Yadgar owned it? I also recall working there whatever it was called when whatsisname Saba had it too.

Arrabbellas (or what ever the spelling was ) was it's last incarnation. I think you may be thinking of Scamps, Alan and Margrate had it before moving to the New Arriba on St James st

A funny story(true) about Larry anyone?

PM only I'm afraid

Hello Robert

There was a pub on Oxclose Lane called the Ox Close. Is it still on the go. My parents went there just about every night. It used to be run By a Mr and Mrs Caunt and their two daughters. That was around 1948-60.

Kind regards

Henry

Hello Robert

There was a pub on Oxclose Lane called the Ox Close. Is it still on the go. My parents went there just about every night. It used to be run By a Mr and Mrs Caunt and their two daughters. That was around 1948-60.

Kind regards

Henry

Hello, Henry

We were just discussing this a day or two back. The Oxclose (The Ockey) has very recently closed. I drove past there on Monday and there were what looked like mesh grills over the windows and doors. There were lights on inside though.

I haven't been there for many a year. It always seemed to attract trouble (even though it's smack next door to the Oxclose police station!). I doubt if it was much like the place you recall. I went past there one night a few weeks ago and there were at least eight police cars outside plus a police helicopter hovering up above!

Hello, Henry

. I went past there one night a few weeks ago and there were at least eight police cars outside plus a police helicopter hovering up above!

I bet the landlord was selling the ale off cheap hence the patrol cars and Copter.

Bip.

...There was a pub on Oxclose Lane called the Ox Close. Is it still on the go...

Yes, I'm aware of the Oxclose Pub....by the traffic lights...can't recall ever going in, so it didn't make my blacklist.

We sometimes used to frequent the Green Barrel, following cricket matches on our old home ground at High Pavement school - now demolished and landscaped for new housing. Sacrilege - best wicket in the county...'twas like batting on the M1!

Our other watering-holes at that time were the Old Spot and the Park Tavern, both vast improvements on the Green Barrel.

Cheers

Robt P.

"Yes, I'm aware of the Oxclose Pub....by the traffic lights...can't recall ever going in, so it didn't make my blacklist.

We sometimes used to frequent the Green Barrel, following cricket matches on our old home ground at High Pavement school - now demolished and landscaped for new housing. Sacrilege - best wicket in the county...'twas like batting on the M1!

Our other watering-holes at that time were the Old Spot and the Park Tavern, both vast improvements on the Green Barrel.

Cheers

Robt P."

I think The Green Barrel was burnt down before being demolished, Rob. Stand to be corrected on that one.

I think The Green Barrel was burnt down before being demolished, Rob. Stand to be corrected on that one.

No need to be corrected Stu - you are spot on.

The Toll Bridge on The Embankment has now closed as at 11/3/08

Is that the one once known as the Avery or am I at the wrong end of the embankment?

Bip.

Thats right Robt.P another once decent pub ruined by todays generation used to go in there on a Friday dinner couple of pints and a chip cob .Sunday dinner after football not a bad pub at all.Leaves the Poets,Riverway and the Globe now and i wouldnt touch the Poets or Riverway

Leaves the Poets,Riverway and the Globe

A little bird tells me that the Globe has a superb cellar cooling system installed ;)

A little bird tells me that the Globe has a superb cellar cooling system installed ;)

Weren't you the one that installed it Frank?

A small Ps to this post is.....I beleif that someone somewhere in another topic mentioned that Harry Ramsdens is now no more. I can confirm that Harry Ramsdens is now a Pub going by the name of Riverside Farm. I wonder if they sell food and if they do would Fish & Chips be on the menu? just a thought!

Bip.

Wrong end Den...

The Aviary is/was on Trent Bridge...the Toll Bridge is at the far end of the embankment, hence the name.

Cheers

Robt P.

I understand The Aviary (last named Casa?) is now closed tight also.

Went for a nice brisk walk down the embankment today and passed both pubs. Both closed and windows boarded up.

Took some piccies of the Toll House, I'll post then shortly.

• 2 months later...