The Mystery Mods of Nottingham?

The last photo is the one that I have used on my Crossed Keys cd's..nicked it from Radio Nottingham website!!!in fact if you go on their website and type mods in the search box it will take you to a mods in Nottingham feature where you can listen to a John Holmes program about the Dungeon and those two photo's..on the show are some of the people that are in them plus writer Alan Fletcher...their is another link on the page about a program on radio 4 with Phil Daniels looking at the 60's mods..few other mod bits on there as well..worth a listen.

pete c....still riding a vespa

• 3 years later...

John Holmes

A very young John Holmes from Radio Nott'm on his scoot here also mention for Malibu dog bowl Sandpiper The Boat club The Imperial Trent Poly Albert Hall Gaffa Hearty Goodfellow Bodega plus some band called The Specials !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk6ZsdOqLNU&list=FL9hexEj_oETAjVvRlQaRQUw&index=2&feature=plpp

I WAS RECENTLY FILMED FOR A TV PROGRAMM ON MODS AND ROCKER ABOUT THE DIFFERENT YOUTH COULTURES OF THE PASTTHEY FILMED AT THE WHITEHART WITH THE ROCKERS AND LATTER THEY WHOULD BE DONG A FETURE AT THE BOAT CLUB ABOUT THE MODS THIS WILL BE SHOWN SEPTEMBER OR OCTOBER TIMEMORE WHEN WE FIND OUT EXACT DATES.

• 3 months later...

Thats my Brother Randy on is Lambretta in the mid 60s,they are still trying deport him back to Canada.Some of the others are Sam Salt,Sailor, Dave Small.Knocker, Pete Lemon.

• Upvote 1

OH has the original photo of this floating about somewhere.. His dads the 3rd from the left - Ray, Then the guy who you can only see half of on the right is Jacko.. Then theres pete & eddy but cant remember witch ones they are. He said he'll have a think because he knows most of them and whos who so when his memory kicks back in (when hes has some sleep lol), ill send in a post with who everyone is if you guys want?

• Upvote 1

Thats my Brother Randy on is Lambretta in the mid 60s,they are still trying deport him back to Canada.Some of the others are Sam Salt,Sailor, Dave Small.Knocker, Pete Lemon.

...Wasnt there a rumor that Randy had died or something?

& No problem mick, Glad i can be of some help.. I guess thats what happens when your partner is very much into the mod era & his dad was one of the 60s nottingham mods! At least its useful from time to time lol :)

Pixie,

please ask your OH if his dad remembers Mondo Caine, great Mod dancer from Dungeon, Brit' etc also Pete Blood, Mick (Manfred) Lehman ...........................I was just a young 'onlooker', but soaked up the atmosphere of those clubes, all nighters + all dayers (Sundays).

Pixie, we like you a lot!! (Pixie Lott) shows how 'with it' I am, lol.....................................I'll get my coat..................... !jumping!

Paulus, i shall ask him for you :) I will let you know when he finds out too.

...Haha, love the joke, be even funnier if it was my real name ;) Unfortunately, i apparently look like a pixie/elf.. But iv come to terms with it now lol!!

Randy is an Art Teacher in Cornwall, He lives in Beautiful ST Ives over looking the bay..

Lucky sod - one of my favorite places too! ill let the OH know what hes doing nower days although he said he thought he lived in cornwall now.

...Speaking of mods, were thinking about a trip to Brighton this coming summer, visit a few of the places where Quadraphenia was filmed, happens to be one of my favourite films :) I reckon this picture will be about there.. As it is in skegness on t-shirts & mugs!

& Paulus, i asked him but he said none of it rings a bell to him but he hasnt spoke to his dad to ask him, when he does - ill let you know!

A lot of the Nottingham Mods used to go to Skegness on bank holidays in the mid sixties myself and a few other guys would make the long run to Great Yarmouth on our Scooters,even the Mini boys were there one time.To this day that road is still a slow run.Went to Brigthon once in an Austin Champ Jeep painted bright yellow (yellow Rolls Royce)with some guys the owner was Carling from Basford some crazy days then.

• Upvote 1

Ah iv heard all the stories about the road trips to skeg etc, the 'Back in MY day...' sort of stories lol!! No one does that sort of thing these days, its a shame really.

& The only yellow jeep any of us around here see is a bright yellow jeep with a black playboy bunny on the side. I allways wanted to see the driver of it, thinking itd be a young women of around my age, i was shocked to see a much older woman get out of it!! 0_0

Ah iv heard all the stories about the road trips to skeg etc, the 'Back in MY day...' sort of stories lol!! No one does that sort of thing these days, its a shame really.

Can't afford the £300 petrol bill nowadays.

• Upvote 1

Did you hear Pixie run to the twisted wheel club in Manchester would be November 1964 a bunch of us from Nottingham, three or four Vespa's and I rode on the back of my brother's Lambretta along with "Grey Wally" in his minivan. Got to Buxton and it started snowing. Had a cup of tea in the cafe there and decided we press on. Got on a section of road called Long Hill and it was pure ice, so we had to turn back into buxton. Parked the scoots in a pub backyard and someone told us there was a dance at a place in the middle of nowhere called Peak Forest. Danced the night away till 11:30, got on the bus back to Buxton. Spent the night in some railway carriages in a siding freezing to death. About 6 in the morning, heard a whistle and the carriages bumped. And a locomotive was backing on to the carriages. We jumped out of that carriage like a bunch of refugee's. Got back to the scooters and decided to head back to Nottingham. We arranged to stop at a cafe in Matlock (Biker's hangout). Every ten miles or so we stopped to warm our hands on the Lambretta exhaust pipe. Anyway, we got back to Matlock and had a hot cup of well deserved tea. Couldn't believe there were some bikers (guys who used to hang out at the shoulder of Mutten pub on the boulevards Baseford, there's a Mcdonald's there now.) there so early in the morning. Anyway, I never did get to the twisted wheel.

• 10 months later...

It's been an age since I have been on here, but someone mentions Pete Lemon being in the two pictures.........buggered if I can see him in them!

He saved my mate from a worse beating by "The Mini Boys" one night at the top of Stanford Street, they had mistakenly thought my mate had something to do with some Goose Fair lads smashing a window and causing some trouble at The Dungeon.

Incidentally, I have just found my UN sent application form for membership there, along with a photo, and a false date of birth, ill scan them and post on here when I do!

Pete Lemon isn't on the photo's,he had real blonde hair,a round,ruddy face,always wore a full length green leather coat.

He was a few years older than most of us. Maybe they are mistaking Ray Tass for Pete Lemon.

Not sure if the Pete that the other half mentioned to me in the photo is pete lemon, but he said there are two Rays in it, his dad and Ray Tass (Tassy)