Hollywood comes to Nottingham

Apparently Russell Crowe has just arrived in England to begin location shooting for a new film called "Nottingham". Apparently it's a modern take on the Robin Hood / Maid Marion story.

It's strange how we accept American locations in film and song titles - Sleepless in Seattle, LA Story, Manhattan, Miami Vice ... ad nauseam, but British places never get a look in.

Sleepless in Sunderland anyone?

what about NAUGHTY IN NOTTINGHAM, starring the hippo crew, the arriba lot ( a job there for beefy) and anyone who knew stu morris ? !laughing!

Whaddya mean knew? - he's still alive and kicking - anything that moves mostly!

Tell you what - he'd make a belting Friar Tuck - Sort of Kung Fu meets Father Ted..................

(Sorry Stu - just a joke...............)

Mick was in theArriba lot as you put it too. As were a lot of other members!!

How about 5 go mad in Mansfield

Judging from that photo at the Hippo and that girls house. Maid Marion...... !rotfl!

Judging from that photo at the Hippo and that girls house. Maid Marion...... !rotfl!

Hey beefy - we only met for one beer - and now you fancy me already? Settle down, now. :rolleyes:

I read some time ago that Crowe`s film will show our man in tights(Robin) as the baddy,and the Sh. of N as the goody!

SOUTH Sydney Rabbitohs owner Russell Crowe is about to burrow into one of London's poshest suburbs.

The Oscar winning actor, who splits his time between a farm near Coffs Harbour and a Woolloomooloo apartment, will reportedly shell out £20,000 ($42,000) a month to rent a massive Mayfair home while he films a new movie about Robin Hood - a character renowned for robbing from the rich.

"Russell is coming over to Britain filming and wanted somewhere comfortable for his family," an unnamed source told The Sun newspaper.

"The house became available after a celebrity couple pulled out of renting it."

Crowe is expected to spend about six months in Britain filming Nottingham, a love story based on the romantic triangle between Robin Hood, Maid Marion and the Sheriff of Nottingham.

The Gladiator star will play the sheriff alongside British actress Sienna Miller as Marion.

Ridley Scott will direct the film.

Apparently Russell Crowe has just arrived in England to begin location shooting for a new film called "Nottingham". Apparently it's a modern take on the Robin Hood / Maid Marion story.

Just hope they don't ruin it. I deplore " Americanised " versions of very British things such as dramatisations of Dickensian novels and so on.

Coming to a cinema near you, or DVD player. A film called the boat that rocked, it's about a pirate radio ship and it's based in the year 1967. Sounds one to look out for.

Den.

• 8 months later...

Based on the story of Radio Caroline - I was a Radio London (Wonderful Big "L") man myself but I will be interested to see the film!

It's strange how we accept American locations in film and song titles - Sleepless in Seattle, LA Story, Manhattan, Miami Vice ... ad nauseam, but British places never get a look in

this and next weeks tv includes Notting Hill, Gosford Park and The Brighton Strangler! theres also London, An American Werewolf In London, songs? Bluebirds over the white cliffs of Dover (for German version substitute "messerschmitts" for bluebirds) A Nightingale Sang In Berkley Square and of course Itchycoo Park!

Did you all miss this?

Vanessa Redgrave is joining the cast of director Ridley Scott's Robin Hood project, starring Russell Crowe.

Redgrave will play Queen Eleanor of Aquitaine, mother of King John (Oscar Isaacs). Also joining the cast is French actress Lea Seydoux, who plays Princess Isabella in Quentin Tarantino's upcoming "Inglourious Basterds."

The project, originally envisioned as a revisionist take on the Robin Hood story told from the point of view of the Sheriff of Nottingham, was scheduled to begin filming last August but was put on hold for more script work.

As described by Universal, the Universal/Imagine project, written by Ethan Reiff & Cyrus Voris and Brian Helgeland, now follows Robin from his early days in King Richard's army to his return to Nottingham to his creation of a band of mercenaries who challenge the sheriff and eventually try to prevent civil war.

Cate Blanchett, as Lady Marion, is starring opposite Crowe. The cast also includes Mark Strong as King John's henchman Sir Godfrey, Scott Grimes as Welshman Will Scarlet, Kevin Durand as Scotsman Little John, and Alan Doyle as the Irish troubadour Allan Adayle.

Hollywood comes to Nottingham - or not!

Western Telegraph reports:

Robin Hood film Nottingham, directed by Ridley Scott and starring Russell Crowe and Cate Blanchett, looks set to be filmed on location in Freshwater West, Pembrokeshire in August.

Doh!

Not much in the historical sense to cause anyone to film around Nottingham, the Castle and streets aren't mediaeval and a wood is a wood, whether it's Sherwood or Burnham Beeches ( Prince of Thieves ), from memory, the nearest Kevin Costner got to Nottingham was Wingfield Manor wasn't it.

The only large intact important 'period' building I can think of in the shire is Southwell Minster.

The latest BBC Robin Hood offering was all made in Hungary on the outskirts of Budapest, cheaper filming options no doubt.

Pembrokeshire has a lot to offer, the fairly well preserved castle at Pembroke and St Davids Cathedral for a start as well as loads of wild countryside and rugged coasts, it wouldn't work to try and cram all the shooting around Ye Olde Trippe to Jerusalem with a CGI created castle above would it?

Kevin Costner did go to the premier in Nott'm (At the Showcase) I managed to blag a programme with the casts autographs , signed to my mum!!

( A mate of mine is a freelance camera man and was filming it for ITV, and took the oppertunity to grab some autographs for me )

Well done matey, my mum is an autograph enthusiast as well, she reckons she's lost her precious book though, that's number one on my list to find when I next go up to Park Crescent.

Has any film or TV programme about Robin Hood ever been filmed in or around Nottingham, I can't find or think of any reference to suggest that it has, I suggested Wingfield as a location in Prince of Thieves, look on IMDB and it ain't mentioned, though I thought I recognised it as Maid Marions family house, or perhaps I'm wrong.

Nottinghams film career seems to have been suggested and promoted as a platform for so called working class angry young men dating back to the 60's, and nothing more, even Boon was of this ilk, what do you think, everything tarred with the same brush, it seems so.

I'd love to see a movie about Ned Ludd, possibly starring an outrageously cast Tom Cruise or even better, Jack Nicholson, who would you prefer, get on with it Hollywood and forget about Robin Hood, perhaps a film about Brian Clough would be interesting, oops.

The Robin Hood that had Patrick Bergin and Uma Thurman in (From around the same time as Prince of theives) was filmed about 5 miles from me (At Beeston and Peckforton castles and the Delamere Forest) From my old house we had a fantastic view out towards it. Until they finished building the estate, and blocked my view that is!!