Just a gentle reminder to those who care - Elvis died today in 1977, but still lives in many many hearts acrioss the world. RIP Elvis!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For years people listened to the radio and heard Joe Loss, Jimmy Young, Lita Roza, Frank Sinatra and other 'nice' music being played. Then, around 1955, they heard Elvis. His music was sensational, mu

Thats exactly the way I remember him, was still buying the golden records in the early sixties but after his army years became less loyal and moved on.

Poor Elvis, one of the 20th centuries greats and never to be forgotten, I respect his memory.

Unfortunately, he was ruled by a self righteous manager in Colonel Parker. who destroyed his Rock and Roll roots in the search for pan galactic glory.

As John Lennon put it, Elvis died when he joined the army, you should read Anthology by the Beatles to see how Elvis, or rather his manager, went behind their backs and tried to unsurp the Beatles growing power in the US which the Presley camp couldn't deal with.

A sad, manipulated junky in his later years, who died sitting on the toilet. What a waste of a great talent, but then again he didn't help himself either.

Unfortunately, he was ruled by a self righteous manager in Colonel Parker. who destroyed his Rock and Roll roots in the search for pan galactic glory.

Too true, if only he had stuck to the Rock'n'Roll roots; never really cared for his later material.

• 1 year later...

Had he been around, would he still have been sitting on the toilet today.

Poor Elvis, manipulated and destroyed by his evil manager, lets not forget what he contributed to music in his early Sun Records days, I wonder what he would have become had he survived, duets with Kelly Jones perhaps.

RIP Elvis and respect to your memory, the real King of Rock and Roll was allowed only a short reign though.

• 2 years later...

Don't knock Elvis. He was so beautiful and brilliant. Touched by the Gods. Imagine the vast ego he was carrying. As he got older of course the insecurities would increase.

I don't believe Elvis 'died' when he went into the army; I truly believe his mother's death affected him terribly. Nothing would be the same after Gladys died.

God Bless Elvis. You are 'The King' - Always. XX

Must admit the 'British Invasion' of America in the early 60's caused Elvis some concern.

Heard the story of when 'The Beatles' went to meet 'The King'?:

Anyway the story goes the 'Beatles' were shown into a room in which there was a stage with a throne set upon it. They had to wait for some time; John Lennon was a bit cocky, not taking Elvis' supremacy seriously. Eventually when Elvis appeared he took his seat on the throne.

Lennon told later of how he'd been reduced to tears at meeting the legend; he conceded that Elvis was well and truly 'King'.

I think everyone - fan or not - has an Elvis song or two that they like. I like the era that Mick just mentioned with songs like 'Suspicious Minds' etc.

There is absolutely no doubt that the boy from Tupelo, Mississippi was born with a great gift, a wonderful voice and huge charisma. Marry that with great looks and moves and he must have been one helluva great young rocker when he came along and shocked people the way he did whilst on Sun Records. I do think some of the lower points of his great career were when he came back from the army though and starred in a lot of those movies which were often a bit thin and basically an Elvis 'vehicle'. I think he and his advisers recognised this when he returned with his stunning TV comeback special in '68 that showed he still had what it took.

Yes I remember the Snienton Elvis, whatever happened to him I wonder.

And more importantly, who the hell was he?

Should be in the Notts Character thread?

Oh I think so.

Gutted I never saw 'Sneinton' with talent like that!

A mate saw him at the Running Horse and described him as looking vaguely Chinese (though this could have been after a few pints.)

The legend lives on!

I never saw or even knew him as 'Elvis'. his distinctive features i remember from round town.

There was a similar guy distinctive features wise that was DJ at the Pemberton Club,

Behind Sam wards garage on London Road island.

I think (If I've got the same bloke in mind) he was a bit of a 'downes syndrome' kid. We had him on , on a 'Punk night' at The Tivoli when I was the manager there. (Hendrix dead boy, was on the bill too)

Sneinton Elvis, has/ had various alter egos (As I said , if it's the same bloke I'm thinking of )

I see what you mean about 'Moon face' I may be mixing up two different 'characters'