Tattooist - Alfreton Road

Hi,

Can anyone recall the tattooist on Alfreton Road,,, just round the corner from St Anns Well Road ?

He was a little guy,,,, whose size was apparent when he was on his bike,,,,, I think it was a 650 of some sort,,,,, & he struggled to keep it upright when stationary.

Had my first tattoo there about 66/67 at a cost of 1/6.

After that I was courting my wife to be - a girl from Mansfield - so went to a guy at Clipstone,,,,,, again, his name escapes me.

cheers folks

Thanks for the info on Street names,,,,

,,,, it's no use me coming home for a look-see,,,,, not only do I not know where i'm going,,,, I don't know where i've been !!!

DEN:

'Butch' dosn't ring a bell i'm a fraid.

ASHLEY:

I thought it was between SAWR & Carlton Road ! Christ, I used to live opposite King Edward Park on Carlton Road just before I moved,,,,, over BONDs butchers shop,,,, you'd think i'd know ?!

I thought it was: as you come down S.A.W.R,,,, turn left on Alfred street - towards Carlton Road - & he was down there on the right.

but then again, I thought Alfred street went from Carlton Road, right through & past SAWR & beyond,,,,,,, must look for that 1920's map !

---------------------------

We had a shop on SAWR just below Robin Hood Chase (just opposite a pub & a chippy),,,,I can't find R.H.C either

---------------------------

This was going to be a separate post, but:

I might have this bit totally wrong now (?!?!) on the right hand corner of Alfred Street (as I thought) was a pub. I mixed with some jamaican guys that freqeunted that place.

I needed an engine (or rebuild) for my Mk I Cortina and ended up meeting Black Sid. He had his own workshop just behind there somewhere. I got on great with Sid, & he intoduced me to some of his mates,,,,, there was John Baptist (or john 'de' baptist I used to call him,,,,, ) & Harry. Harry was a tall slim guy,,,, they were all into Ska etc & we oftem went to one or other of their houses just to chill,,,, Harry gave me a box of his old, original jamaican ska 45's,,,,,,

I was told that Sid went to work at Gedling Pit,,,, but I s'pose that could have been any 'Black' Sid.

A great bunch of guys,,,, & took to me like a brother (or is that Bro now-days)

,,,,,,, good old 20's map !

It does indeed show Alfred Street running from Carlton Road to Mansfield Road.

Robin Hood Chase:

Am I right in assuming that the green bit from SAWR to the gren circle at Mapperly Road is RHC ?

If so, our shop was right where the apostophe is in St Ann(')s.

The pub & chippy must have been on the corners of Beacon Street.

The tattooist was on Alfred St north near Huntingdon St. The pub would have been the Mechanics, a Davenports pub.

Den.

i think the tattooist shop was on the corner of Vicarage st and alfred st opposite the mechanics arms,i lived at no 54 vicarage st as a tot and moved to Gedling when dad got a job down the pit.as a teenager i worked at Raywarps on Alfred st making hair bands,shower caps and hairnets.my brother in law had an eagle tattood on his arm at that tattoo shop in 1965.

My other half started having his tattoos done by the same chap who had the nickname of BUTCHER as there used to be tissues all over the floor with blood on (no health and hygeine then) This was about 1965/66. He can remember it was on a corner somewhere round alfreton road area.

Well folks, you could well be right about him being that far up Alfred Street,,,, until today, I would have lost a packet betting on his place being towards the other end,,,,,

are we talking about the same bloke (was he called Jock - for no tenuous reason ?),,, he can't have been much taller than about 5'-3/4". I can't remember him being called 'Butcher',,,, otherwise I wouldn't have gone there !!!

In fact I only went once - in about '65/66 - then started to go to 'EDDY' at Clipstone. He was after my car,,, so did my tattoos for free (in a garden shed [ever so hygienic !?] actually we take the pee now, but it really was clean – for a shed !

All in all,,, there was lots of blood around in those days,,,,,, no one caught any nasties tho’ – makes ya think,,,,,

------:------

Carni: where abouts in Gedling did you move to ? I lived in Carlton & had lots of mates in Gedling where I spent many happy hours,,,,, then we moved there in '61 - Shelford Road area.

Baz

Seem to remember he had the name Butch tattood inside his bottom lip.

Den.

Thats the one den. hubby had a few done by him. Chrissy. x

Mine says WE N D Y on it , when I'm in a good mood it says WElcome to Nottingham have a nice Day

Yeah, and mine says LUDO

And when I'm in a good mood it says LLlllaaaaaandudno !laughing!

hi Bazzer,We moved to Chatsworth ave Carlton about 1950, then Hardys drive in gedling village,and on to Phoenix pit estate about 1959,from there to the west midlands.

Did you know John (or Pat) Traynor ? His family lived on the corner of Besecar & (i think) Chesterfield Ave (will double check if it's Chesterfield later)

• 5 years later...

Any day in Bulwell nowadays .

It amazed me when we moved to Basford about ten years ago, we had the misfortune to be in Morrissons one Sunday morning having toast and coffee. Plodding along with their full English were at least three generations of the same family, shaved heads, tattoos, body piercings and foul language. I think at least three of them were interbred.

And before anybody says it, yes I am a bit of a snob!!!!!

• Upvote 1