More Boon locations to find

From the compression I suspect a long lens?

Further out of the city?

What is that Church 1/3 from the left.

Can anyone embed Imageshack hosted pics?

I would think the church would be St Nicholas

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking of St Peter's as well. If it is, my original suggestion of the Sneinton area may not be so far off the mark after all. If you draw a line going through to Trent Bridge and beyond, you could get all the elements in their correct places to fit the original photo.

I would think the church would be St Nicholas

St Nicholas has a square tower, St Peter's (and the one in the photo) is pointed

The tower on St Nicholas is a very flat castle-like construction. http://maps.google.c...,20.63,,0,-5.08

In the photo, the one you have suggested as St Nicholas seems to have a very pointed tower (unless there is an optical illusion where something a long way behind the church appears much closer to it)

What gets me...if it was filmed in the 80s and 90s, where are all the high rise buildings that were by then dotted all over the city.Birkbeck House,Vic Centre flats,Pearl Assurance building at the edge of the square,and several round Maid Marian Way...A photo from any direction would surely show at least one or two..... :huh:

The thing I can't get over and what seems 'wrong' about the image is that the Newton building is pretty well straight north of the council house and market square so from the perspective of the two buildings in that shot, ie looking from south-west in my opinion, you would have to see the clock face on the council house - even accounting for some distortion. It doesn't make sense.

Pretty sure I've cracked it. The "Extra" church that I haven't marked on my map is St Saviors in the Meadows and the picture is taken from somewhere low down on the roof of the County Council building on Trent bridge.

Photos to follow

You might be right. If you focus in on the County Hall roof on Google Earth it's possible to see a wire 'fence' on the edge of the roof similar to what's in the shot on here.

Ok here we go.

St Saviors

7164922224_fe6a696139.jpg

Vantage point (Note the fences shadow just above the yellow pin mark)

7164963040_b0d506d3d6_b.jpg

And the "Big Picture"

7164963290_86e91f4594_b.jpg

All photos taken from Google Earth.

You might be right. If you focus in on the County Hall roof on Google Earth it's possible to see a wire 'fence' on the edge of the roof similar to what's in the shot on here.

Which also explains the trees......

We tend to forget the amount of zoom that is available on professional video cameras. The image quality is relatively low compared to that in the cameras that Ian is using (yes, even in HD), and so the sensing unit is small and so the zoom capability with a (very) good lens is massive!

Bear in mind also, that image - which is a still from video - was taken around 15/20 years ago. Cameras and lenses in the early 90s would be almost prehistoric compared to anything available today

what road would it have been that Ken Boon rode his bike up any ideas?

You'd need to provide us with the video to identify that. He would've been filmed driving along a road (anywhere) and then in editing they would cut to a shot on the top of County Hall, implying that it was all part of the same journey. But those two scenes would come from different locations and times. The road could be anywhere in Nottingham.

Well that's proper bobbed on my Strawberrys !! It's not a fence but a telephone line !! and it's a road not a roof !!!

Well that's proper bobbed on my Strawberrys !! It's not a fence but a telephone line !! and it's a road not a roof !!!

Yes I did try to state that , v sorry if I was not clear Beefy

If anyone can identify that road in the clip they deserve a very big prize. Obviously at a high elevation and in a direct line from the Council House/Newton Building, but then........

Can't even see any pavements or kerb stones, it almosts looks like a private road or dirt track.

And yes, I'd bet any money the house and its road are nowhere near the location of the hill with the motorbike

aa80ecae.jpg

This video clip seems to show that the photo we thought we'd identified isn't from the top of County Hall after all. Watching the video we can now see that Boon rides up there, and there's no way he rode his bike up the side of County Hall.

So, back to the drawing boards

I would have said that still is shot from the west? far as I know council house has only one clock face pointing towards slab square? so latter to the right of the dome, with newton building to the left so looking east (I think! lol) what's that big building in foreground? are we looking from one of higher points in the park? hence the sharp incline