I could have included this enquiry into me blog but I’m after more green shield stamps to add to the collection……

Sat Navs?

My daughter came around to see me yesterday to ask if I was ok she definitely wasn’t she’s missing her mum…..

To the point…..she asked what I would like for a chrimbo present.

I told her I would like a Satellite Navigation system for me Mobile home, it has to have EU mapping….

My question is which do I go for?

I don’t want one at a silly price it has to be less than £150..

Bip.

Dunno Den, I'm still a bit old fashioned and use maps, rarely have they let me down getting me to where I want to go.

In busy cities I used to make a cheat sheet to help me as I was driving, again worked for me.

I hear many a driver has ended up in a lake or miles from where they wanted to be with Sat Nav gear. So I'll stick with me trusty old map collections.

Tom Tom one (Euro)

About £150 , all of europe covered , easy to update (For free via the computer,)

Shop around though

I've got a brand new - still boxed Trumpion that my son bought me for my birthday.

I don't go anywhere !!! (maybe he was just getting his own back ?!?!)

I'm not sure if it already has EU maps,,,, but they are Free to download.

I'm asking £100 for it.

When my brother-in-law was visiting in September he wanted to buy a GPS (SatNav to you lot). I located a Garmin Nuvi 200 with Europe and North America pre-loaded for $200. I have a Garmin 250W and Mary just bought a 200. Really like the Garmins - easy to use and excellent directions - they will even get you on the correct side of a dual-carriageway for your destination!

If you have never navigated with one - you don't know what you are missing - especially on busy roads in cities - makes life a whole lot easier and safer! As for those tales about directions off a cliff etc. ...well, if you aren't looking where you are going! Anyway I'll bet there are more folks who end up in lakes, ditches and accidents from looking at maps!

I have been looking at the RAC 315 wide screen on the web but as yet know very little about it nor had it in me sweaty little paws for a play....the Tom Tom and Garmin look very tempting, will sort something out next week....Cheers everyone.

!clapping!

Bip.

if I have this right,,,, there whole system is going to change soon,,,,, probably making all current units inoperable.

At present we are piggy backing FREE on a military system (U.S I think),,,, & there is a completely New U.K system being sorted as we type,,,,,,,

It's unbeleivable how many models there are all with differing functions.

The one I reckon I'm going to opt for is the one above Reds Model the 255w which has EU mapping built in.

The cheapest I've seen it is on the web at £124-99p.

Bip.

I know this is US biased, but when I was looking for a GPS unit I found THIS site very useful in comparing systems. It was this review that made the Garmin purchase the one for me!

Incidentally, I have the 250W - same as the 255 but North America only mapping - I bought the UK maps on a card for another $80, so the total was about $300 - which makes about 125 quid for a Europe version a good deal!