First flakes have just put in an appearence, but it's stopped straight away

05.19 am it's raining heavy with a little bit of sleet in it

Bright sunshine here now , I have just took a pic , downloaded to comp and lost it somewhere!!

Don't knock all the weather girls, they ain't all bimbos. Clare on GMTV has a Masters Degree in Science and is fully qualified with the London Weather Centre, she knows her stuff, unfortunately we are taught to understand that certain people in the past, guilty of importuning with former Forest centre forwards, are the be all and end all of glam weather presenters.

Having said that, it was amusing to see the presenter on GMTV sent up to report on the state of play on the M1 in Derbyshire, claiming to have put his car in a ditch in the snow, but all we saw was rain and green fields.

Snow was something else when I was a kid, a bit of slush and the country comes to a stand still, can anyone remember when things were really bad, most people, including the media, must have forgotten when it last happened, I reckon it was about 30 years ago, can anyone confirm this and remember the fun days when winter was a real occasion.

Can anyone recall for instance when snow last fell on Christmas Day, I remember staying in a place near Camarthen, up in the hills about 15 years ago and the kids were sledging on Xmas morning, but we were high up, the nice shiny Xmas snowy adverts need to be re jigged, we live in different times, it's unlikely to happen, sad but true.

Jeesh! You lot need to stop complaining. We have about 2" of snow on the ground, it is snowing as I write this, there is snow in the forecast for five of the next ten days and the HIGHest temperature on the ten day forecast is 0, yes ZERO, degrees Celcius!

Screw it - I'm going to Florida for Xmas!

Who's complaining ?? I love a good snow fall (as long as I'm not driving any long distance in it!!)

Jeesh! You lot need to stop complaining. We have about 2" of snow on the ground, it is snowing as I write this, there is snow in the forecast for five of the next ten days and the HIGHest temperature on the ten day forecast is 0, yes ZERO, degrees Celcius!

Screw it - I'm going to Florida for Xmas!

Serves yer right. Yer should 'ave moved to Georgia.

Let me know when you are passing Atlanta I'll put ' kettle on. !tanning!

Dave

I'll never forget that winter of 62-63, Mick.

We were up in Gedling wiring council houses opposite Gedling pit. It was so cold you couldn't turn a screwdriver and yet you couldn't wear gloves. I think it was just about the coldest I've ever felt and that includes living in Canada for thirty odd years.

Dave

I'll never forget that winter of 62-63, Mick.

We were up in Gedling wiring council houses opposite Gedling pit.

Dave

I s'pect that would have been Newton Road then Dave ? We moved into the one on the bottom corner of Newton & Shelford in '61. There were only a dozen or so houses along the bottom of Newton then. Over Shelford Road was nothing 'cept fields (now Stanhope etc) where I used to go rabbiting.

Somewhere in the film - 'Once Upon a Time in the Midlands' - shows the gang driving down Arnold Lane & into Shelford Road,,,, then past Newton Road (in fact right past my ex door).

Talking of the 'Pit. If we were working anywhere nearby, we'd nip into the canteen for lunch - 3 courses for 1/3 (although I used to have 2 dinners but no soup or sweet).

We had the job of replacing the tiny Coal bunkers on the Pit Estate by big, grand concrete things. I must say we were well looked after by the ladies on the estate - meal wise. Between breakfast & tea,,,, we usually had a couple of dinners as well (at the real dinner time). I was about to put a separate post about that,,,, but will bide awhile now,,,,,,,,

I've just been trying to do a bit on the back patio but gave up after 10 minutes 'cause it's still covered in thick frost (More like snow) and as it is falling off of the trees it looks like a real good snow fall is coming down.!!

I s'pect that would have been Newton Road then Dave ? We moved into the one on the bottom corner of Newton & Shelford in '61. There were only a dozen or so houses along the bottom of Newton then. Over Shelford Road was nothing 'cept fields (now Stanhope etc) where I used to go rabbiting.

Sure was Baz. That job lasted quite a while. Great fun in the summer and fall of 62 when we all thought we were going to be blown to kingdom come over Cuba. But that winter was something else.

They were pretty nice houses when they were new. Not sure what they would be like today.

Dave

They were pretty nice houses when they were new. Not sure what they would be like today. Dave

Yep, they were nice,,,, 3 bedrooms & even had gardens.

My parents stayed there until a few years ago when they moved to Cornwall. It was great for me (still at school) as I used to hop over the back fence & I was on school property (football field), even tho, it was a 10min walk to the building !