Tips for using eBay

Are you an eBay Buyer or seller.

What are your top tips for getting a good deal.

Recently I have been looking for an item on eBay. The same item 'lists' new for between £150 and £3,500!. I have been monitoring prices for these items for a couple of weeks now, and learned a lot about the tricks of the sellers!

Firstly they will list quite a few of the items at 'buy it now' with a variety of high prices, then they will list it at a much lower starting bid price, with a relatively high, buy it now price. Though the High price listings do not sell (unless some idiot buys it at the BIN price) these results alongside the cheaper priced items when item is searched, gives the impression that the lower priced item is a bargain?

Not many people know that you can search for closed items in 'Advanced Search' to find if listing sold, or if they did, for how much.

American 'drop shippers' were also a feature of eBay (and Amazon Marketplace), when I was a regular book seller...the scenario was that they would be advertising up to 30,000 books for sale at crazy prices, although they possessed not one! Simply the numbers game...out of so many listings they would sell several items purchased either in error, or by stupidity.

I once had a succesful American buyer on a National Geographic Magazine bound index for £28.

Having dispatched, I was then able to establish that they were 'drop shipping' the same item on the same Amazon page for £174! Clearly they had sold for that price, and then had to acquire one rapidly - from me!

Apparently, many Americans derive full-time employment from this insidious racket, with the major selling sites turning the inevitable blind eye.

Cheers

Robt P.

I have a mate who has made himself quite wealthy from selling on ebay , he can make very good DVD copies (Inc boxes , some of which need an expert to distinguish them ) and flogs about 20 a day on Ebay, (£5 a throw soon adds up !!!) So on that note I wont but DVDs off of there!!!

I know someone who makes matchbox, corgi and hornby etc boxes on their pc and then sells boxed models! and never send off for "The Acme Guaranteed Ant Killer" at £7.99, you get 2 blocks of wood 1" square marke "A" and "B" with instructions "place ant on block A and bash with block B" !faint!

I have become very dissillusioned with e-Bay - for the most part it seems a waste of time. We have had much better luck both buying and selling on Craigslist!

I have tried a direct link ,(URL) to this video but it wont play !! I have tried to post the whole topic but it wont play !!!, yet when I found the original topic it plays through there no problem .

Is she a REAL judge or is it just made up for TV???

She "was" a real judge. The deal is that the plaintiff and defendant agree prior to going on the show that the ruling will stand as a "legal" judgement. Otherwise, she would have no legal jurisdiction. However, she (and others like her), does have a law license and she was a real judge - my guess is she gets paid a LOT more money for this!

The cases are real, they are "selected" from the case list of certain courts.

I believe the plaintiff and defendant are paid too - or perhaps the settlement is paid for them. In this case the ptf. would look a LOT more troubled by a $5000 hit than she did at the end of the clip if it was coming out of her pocket.

Cheer Eric.......You have restored my faith in the American legal system. :biggrin:

I suppose my next question ought to be ... is Denny Crane a REAL lawyer???

Now that IS a great programme (program - in case you had forgotten how to spell it :biggrin: )

• 4 months later...

Found this and thought it was pretty good...

1. Search for misspelled items: listings that have typo's and misspelled words in the title or description tend to get little or no traffic because their item will not come up in the search query. So, there are a couple of different websites where they look for misspelled listings for you. The first is FatFingers so you will do the web address as fatfingers dot com. The next is MisspelledAuctions so visit misspelledauctions dot com. These do all the work for you and brings up lots of great deals on listings that are misspelled!

2. Make sure to "fine Tune" your searches: The more descriptive you are when looking for something on eBay, the easier it will be to find it. For example, let's say your looking for a Diamond Solitare Ring. If you are more descriptive about what kind of ring you will narrow down the amount of listings that come up, therefore eliminating any items that are just a waste of your time. Example being, if you type in "1 carat genuine diamond solitare engagement ring" your search now eliminates all listings that are less or more than 1 carat; you eliminate listings that may not be genuine diamonds; you eliminate and rings that are more than one stone. So, by being specific you waste less time trying to find what you are looking for. Time is money! So less time spent is less labor looking for that great deal!

3. Compare Prices: Sometimes getting the best deal takes some time. You search for your desired item on eBay, and get a bunch of listings that come up. Do your homework and look through as many listings as you can to compare the prices and materials. Also, look at shipping rates. You may get a great deal on a shirt that costs $5.00 but shipping may be $9.95 which is high. So be sure to look at what the shipping costs are to see that your not paying too much. There are people on eBay who over-inflate the shipping charges to make money on items they have marked down. This is bad business and you should avoid sellers like that.

4. Search for Related Items: This tip comes in real handy if your not quite sure what you are looking for. Let's say it's Christmas and your looking for a gift for your wife. You want to buy her a necklace and search for necklaces on eBay. Lots of listings will come up, but there are sections on the side that show related items-- this is great to get idea's for items you may not have even thought about or considered.

5. Rushed Searches = Potential Waste of $: I know, I know. Time is precious. Time is money. Rushing though can be wasting money if you are not careful. When searching for an item you are wanting on eBay, take your time to make sure you are reading the listing detail in it's entirety and all the applicable information realating to it like tax, shipping, and return policies. Also, if you are in too much of a hurry to get an item and do not take time enough to look at other listings, you may be actually losing money! You may end up buying something that is way over priced or it may not even end up being what you are looking for. You rushed through the listing to buy it and it arrives in the mail. To your disappointment it is not exactly what you expected and your are now discouraged and disappointed. This could have been avoided if you took the time to read and compare like listings. Make sure you are aware of the sizes, colors, shipping costs, return policy, etc before making your purchase. This will save you money and increase your level of satisfaction with your transaction. I cannot tell you how many times I have had people win one of my auctions. They receive my invoice and see that PayPal is my only method of payment and email me asking if I will take a check or money order. No I won't because I only accept PayPal. Had they read that in the listing they would have known that, therefore saving not only their time but mine as well.

6. Potentially Save $$$ on Shipping Costs: When looking at an item you are looking to buy on eBay, remember that you will pay less money for shipping if you buy the item from someone who lives closer to you than farther away. The closer the item is to you, the less you will pay for shipping. For example, I live in Ohio. I want to buy a basketball and see there are several sellers to accomodate my desire. I find a few that are priced well, let's say for $9.99. I automatically sort my searches by "nearest first" so that all the pertainable items will be sorted by items closest to me. This helps me get the overall best deal because if I buy the basketball from someone living in Virgina as opposed to someone living in California, I will get a much better shipping price which saves me $$$!

7. What time an auction ends can sometimes mean better deals: People all over the world and living in different time zones list items at all hours of the day. Great times to look for items ending are during the night and during business days because less people are apt to be on there to bid. This is not always the case, but does work good as a general rule of thumb.

8. Sort Listings by "Ending Soonest: One of my favorite and most ways to sort listings are by "Time: Ending Soonest" because I can see the item I want and the price it is going for. This means less time waiting on a bid to end which is great for people who are impatient and hate waiting several days to win an item.

We just bought an overlocker sewing machine off e-bay...what worked for us was the description as it said it was broken, but not overly clear on what was broken....we asked the seller for pics of the break to find out it was a very 'unimportant'' part that had just snapped....so seeing the pics made us continue bidding.....in the end it was between us and one other bidder.....There were two machines on there the same make and model....ours cost £51 in the end...the other went for £132......when we went to pick it up ( no postage at all that way )...we were the only person to ask for pic's of the break.......So worked well for us because their description was very off putting.

• 3 months later...

Dont you just love these Chinese sellers?

Post office need many days in handling for delivery. Please check the following link about detail:

http://www.hongkongpost.com/doc/common/pos15_Supplement.pdf

Again, Above information is for normal, once the package delay or lost inposting, please contact us for any concern, and we will try to track the package with post office for you.

Please contact us once delay, we will try our 100% to follow up. Meanwhile, you can check the FAQ which I had leave, and email me for any further required.

(Please check about your email setting, we will send all response message via email, please DO NOT spam our message, *********@gmail.com)

Once your item arrives in satisfactory condition, please leave feedback and high DSR star for me.

It is very important for high DSR, we will always do our best to send out the package at the first time, Sorry for the inconvenience as the post office and custom handling delay.

I had leave the positive feedback to you.

Your postive feedback and high DSR star can result with discount in cost which for listing, we make sure that we will spend it on our better service and price.

For more purchase with at least 97% discount, please have a look for my listing

Once you receive the package with problem, please let me know, and we will arrange the resend or refund to you ASAP.

Or you have any suggestion for our service and products, just let me know.

...Post office need many days in handling for delivery....

Far more lucid, and grammatically correct, than many postings made in Nottstalgia...

Cheers

Robt P.

• 9 years later...