Old Airliners /Airports etc

Slightly off the subject, a shot of a British Midland Argonaut from August 1965, just 4 months after EMA opened.

Before then we had to fly from Derby Airport at Burnaston.

On the aircraft there was a plaque to inform that it was the plane that HM Queen Elizabeth used to return to the UK on the news of the death of the King. At that time (1952) it was a BOAC plane.

19650801800BritishMidlandArgonut196.jpg

Limey

Yes, there's no sign of the track from the road down to Kings Mills, I can remember seeing wall to wall trucks parked on the track though, this was probably on a trip along the road to Melbourne, another one of our regular destinations, probably in the late 50's.

The hall was used as a POW camp for German officers in WW1, some of whom managed to escape in 1915. I recall the old rope bridge over the lane down to the Priest House. I also recall that the hall was used as the setting for a film in the early 70's, 'Alices Adventures in Wonderland' with an all star British cast including Peter Sellers, perhaps this led to it being restored after its WW2 misuse by the military.

I can also remember going to see the Tri-Star, for some reason we were standing on the perimeter fence on the north side of the airfield then found ourselves on the tarmac in front of the terminal when it was open for inspection, only for RR employees I recall, but we managed to get in somehow, I shall have to look for my slides.

Littleboro

Is the Argonaut in your shot G-ALHG, which was the one that crashed in Stockport in 1967, killing most of the passengers and crew, we were due to fly back from Jersey on one of these in 1966, but an overbooking caused us to come back on a BM Herald instead.

A couple of pictures probably taken at about the same time as yours.

Derby Airways Daks at Burnaston early 60's

burnstn.jpg

Early days at EM, probably just after it opened.

em1.jpg

I too turned out at EMA to see the first TriStar. I recall it was called the "Whisperliner" as it was far quieter that 50's/60's jets.

Link below to a news item.

I also recall the VC10 domiciled at Hucknall with two regular engines on the one side and a single RB211 on the other.

TriStar at EMA

VC10 with RB211 at Hucknall

Sorry PB for distracting your thread, unintentional, honest.

I have found the air ticket for the 1965 Argonaut trip. Foe 3 adults an one child it cost £39.4.0, thats £39.20 in new money. Adult was £11.20 round trip. That was more than 2 weeks wages for a school-leaver in 1965. (About £440 in today's cash)

I have just checked todays price. For a flight in August 2009 an adult would have to pay £24.98 (thats £2.08 per ticket plus £22.90 taxes) return EMA to Belfast (BMI no longer do Dublin.)

19650810BMAtcket.jpg

And the postcard of the time

19650501EMAPostcard.jpg

Littleboro

You're as bad as me at saving old tickets!!!

Did you know that the Argonaut was the Canadian built version of the C-54 or DC-4, known to them as the North Star and powered by RR Merlins, which apparently made the airliner version much noisier than the US radial engined equivalent ( compare the sound of a Lanc to a B-17 ).

Heres a picture of the fatefull G-ALHG which crashed at Stockport.

British_Midland_Canadair_C4_G-ALHG.jpg

I flew out of EM on a Herald, as shown on your postcard, in 1966, the only picture I have of it is in this naff picture that I took at Jersey Airport while waiting to board for the flight home, you can probably just make out the distant tail.

File0052.jpg

We had a very eventful flight home, it was a lovely evening over the Channel and I was allowed to sit with the pilot until we got to the coast, then all hell broke loose when we had to fly through a savage thunderstorm, very exciting in a twin prop airliner that couldn't fly above the storm clouds.

The severity of the storm was really apparent after we landed at EM and it caught up with us on the ground, still, not as bad as a storm I experienced at Schipol a few years ago that nearly put me off flying for life, but thats another story.

Most of my EM pictures are on slides, but I found this colour print that I took in the mid 70's.

File0058.jpg

Anybody interested in some other local pictures, Hucknall and Tollerton.

Heres a couple of rarities, Avro Lincoln and 'Lincolnian' waiting scrapping at Tollerton in 1959, my brother took these while I was rummaging around in the Lincoln cockpit.

tol1.jpg

tol2.jpg

Another rarity, airworthy P-47 'Razorback' Thunderbolt at Hucknall Airshow in 1963, I have one of this in colour as well, it's not the one being currently restored to flight by TFC at Duxford, I believe that this example now resides in a museum in the USA.

File0047.jpg

littlebro: Great stuff - yep, that was how I remembered EMA looking in the late '60's. In fact, it still looked much the same when I made my only flight into there in 1978! Much has changed since then - in fact I don't think any of the (then new) terminal building is left!

I presume you grew up in the Long Eaton area?

Hi Limey,

The original EMA building is still there but has been extensively remodelled, extended etc. One of the best attractions was to sit upstairs in the bar and watch time go by. Unfortunately there is no way to see the apron now unless you are travelling and go through customs.

I did not live in Long Eaton, I was brought up in Chilwell & Beeston. I have a vague recollection that Faulkners Travel Agency in Beeston but their HQ maybe was Long Eaton hence the rubber stamp. Anyone confirm?

• 2 years later...

Cheers , I've added it to my favourites. Incidentaly I use one called G INFO for UK residents