Welcome

Click on this Profile link and send a message to Member

gender_mystery.png Nottscops

At a Guess it was the car used by

Colonel A Popkess, Chief Constable of Nottingham.

Please update this thread with any answers?

I remember seeing a picture in some book, or maybe picture the past of a chief constable in an open top car somewhere near the top of Mansfield road/Forest road, the car did look bigger than the morris though, I will try to find the picture, also was the Nottingham police force the first to use radio in their cars?

Rog

don't know about police car radios,but Nottingham Police were said to be first to use "walkie talkies " at football games, have a picture of such at meadow lane said to be 1932 but forgot how to get to photobucket (or it's not working for me)

Walkie talkies in 1932? Did they put the valves inside their helmets then or did they use pre-Dan Dare Space Phones, you know, those plastic thingy's connected with taught string, or proper tin cans to make them work even better. I'm trying to imagine an uninterrupted line stretching from Shakespeare Street to Meadow Lane, wouldn't Midland Station have got in the way.

Yes, I saw that picture myself Ashley, probably the same book as the open top car, I think the haversack type radio was something like the military used in WW2 not sure but I think it was called an A10 set

Rog

The original car was a Morris Eight 'Series E' with a 'waterfall grille'. The headlamps were also aerodynamic (but pretty useless)

They were in production from 1938 through to 1948 - replaced in 1948 by the iconic Morris Minor.

45581.jpg

by the way butlerhenderson, what's origin of your name here

I think he must be related to Vicky

I remember the steam trains from my 'younger days' but, looking at the videos just posted, I'm confused.

Sorry if it's not a relevant question to the thread starter, but - I thought that the funnel (chimney) on the top of the engine vented smoke from the fire box. This was always apparent as we used to choke on smoke when the train entered a tunnel, but, when you watch the latest vids, the output from the funnel seems to be steam, 'puffing' in time with the turn of the wheels?

How is the smoke from the fire and also steam vented?

Steam is exhausted in the smokebox from the cylinders pointing towards the chimney creating a vacuum which in turn pulls more fire from the firebox via the fire tubes to create a more efficient burn and water heating capabilities, it's the exhausted steam that gives the steam engine that distinctive "chuff chuff" sound

Rog (sorry for being boring!)

don't know about police car radios,but Nottingham Police were said to be first to use "walkie talkies " at football games, have a picture of such at meadow lane said to be 1932 but forgot how to get to photobucket (or it's not working for me)

We take for granted the stupidity of drinking and driving.

Speaking his (Popkess) mind he often ruffled feathers. He caused a storm 50 years ago when the Captain demanded new laws be brought in to stop drinking and driving. There were no limits in the 1950s.

Just to show there is nothing new under the sun with our Labour controlled council,Captain Popkess hit the front pages of the national news in 1959 when he called in detectives from the Met to investigate the bribery of Labour councillors on a visit to East Germany. Claims which were never proved.

The news of the investigation was leaked to the newspapers the day before council elections.

The Chief Constable was suspended and it became a national scandal.

The captain was an innovator, bringing new ideas to the force, using the media to forward his cause, upsetting authorities but winning public support

Ahead of his time

Captain Popkess was an innovator in Nottingham for 30 years.

The city had the first forensic labs in the country, the first police dogs and the first patrol cars with radios.

Captain Popkess retired within months of his reinstatement. After that he never set foot in Nottingham again.

didn't blow in the bag come in mid 1960's? before that it was walk the white line? agree drink driving is stupid, well anything over 8 pints or so, esp on say a R1, you're likely to over rev it,

• 9 years later...