Can anybody help me please.

When I was a young girl going to "mucky road" infant school in West Bridgford, I can remember walking under a railway bridge, and there being a railway embankment just in front of the school. The bridge always used to seem spooky to me (as a 5 year old). There were other bridges along the old railway line too. Does anyone know when they were demolished, and what railway line used to run through West Bridgford.

These days the school looks less frightening, and the embankment gone, and houses/flats/bungalows built on the land...

Cheers

Tracey

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i have a book called "Victorian Nottingham by Micheal Payne whose grandfather, Edwin Gordon took quite a few photos around nottingham between 1890 and 1912 its been somewhere in the spare room not l

No idea where now but somewhere on the net you can view the official drawings of the gcr route showing every bridge cutting station etc with location in miles from London through Notts etc, thinking

www.railwayarchive.org.uk/map/planIndex.php

Hi Tracey:

The line was built and operated by The Great Northern & Midland Railway companies and linked Nottingham with Melton Mowbray. It opened in the 1870s and was closed as part of Dr Beeching's cuts in the mid 1960s.

The bridges and embankments were removed mostly during the early 1970s.

There's more information here:

Nottingham to Melton Railway

Thanks Bamber,

I cant remember trains using the line... but I'm pretty sure my mum does. I know she refused to buy a house down a couple of roads in WB because there would've been trains running at the bottom of the garden (I think she had visions of derailments or me clambering up the embankment and wandering onto the line) I do remember the bridges, and remember them being removed... and near the school there was a little corner shop just before the bridge (I cant remember the name of the shop) but thats now gone as has the rest of the terraced houses that used to be there. (its now a car park for the new houses theyve built)

This line or rather the former trackbed can be walked upon as now a footpath from Boundary Rd (Melton Rd end) back into West Bridgford, from the former it is first in a deep cutting changing to high on an embankment inc going over Devonshire Rd on the original existing bridge as far as the garage on Melton Road, after that all traces are gone except of course Lady Bay Bridge, In the good old days there were bridges over Rectory Rd. George St (where the school was) Bridgford Rd and Radcliffe Rd.

Thanks for that link Bamber, i've just spent the best part of 7 hours reading it and following the path with google earth. Even the better half saunted over to the computer to see what i was so engrossed in. !clapping!

• 2 years later...

Was this near Stratford Road, before the demolition work? I can remember there being a tuck shop on the corner there, near the Scouts hut.

Jeez Cliff Ton! I can remember the graffiti on the bridge walls!!!!! I'm sure the buiding on the left in the first picture was the tuck shop. Thanks for that, good memories.

when forest won the cup 1959 the supporters train took that line to wembley (guess they wanted to avoid derby) spoke to the fireman of it one night (by then known as giro george) can't recall whether on way there or back but he told me the engine failed and the replacement one was a V2 which he'd never fired before! (more useless information) lol

Can anyone remember the bridges that went over Radcliffe Road and Bridgford Road? I'm curious to know when they were demolished. I'm sure the Devonshire Road bridge is still there.

There are several photos of the Radcliffe Road and Bridgford Road bridges on Picture the Past; the Radcliffe Road ones include the bridge over the canal which you couldn't really see from the road. And yes, the Devonshire Road one is still there. That stretch of the line - from Melton Road to Valley Road - is now a walking/bike route.

And don't forget there was also a bridge over Melton Road, near the petrol station

I mentioned the railway bridge which crossed the canal at Lady Bay; it wasn't that easy to see because it didn't cross any roads and was a bit in the middle of nowhere.

This is looking from where the approach road to Lady Bay Bridge now starts. The canal has become the road, which then bends to the right before it reached where that railway bridge is, and then goes over what we now know as Lady Bay road bridge. The bridge you see here, and the canal, no longer exist. If they did, you'd get wet when driving.

ladybay2.jpg

This is from the trackbed of the railway on that bridge. The lines were on the right of this photo; you can see the bridge going over the canal, and down to the left is the point where the previous photo was taken.

ladybay1.jpg

And re: nothing in particular..... check this photo of the Melton Road bridge. It's changed a bit since this

http://www.pictureth...001436&prevUrl=

I didn't know west bridgford at all when the line was in use, or when route still there, but did it also cross central avenue? there are what look like remains of a blue brick arch on there, or was it just a wall? can't find any pictures, also I seem to recall a fairly high arch over a road somewhere just after it crossed radcliffe road?

There's another bridge in the area which hasn't been mentioned yet. When the Melton line went further south it passed under Boundary Road near the Rushcliffe Leisure Centre.

The deep cutting still exists as a pathway on Boundary Road opposite the Leisure Centre.

The bridge in the distance is Boundary Road, with the early Rushcliffe School/Leisure Centre on the left

http://www.rcts.org....n&img=66-28-04A

This is opposite with the School/Centre on the right

http://www.rcts.org....=8&img=66-04-32

Looking from Boundary Road towards Nottingham

http://www.rcts.org....=2&img=66-27-04

Same again, but with steam

http://www.rcts.org....=3&img=66-08-29

Yes, but roadover bridges somehow weren't the same? apart from fact difficult to photo? used to think diesels were boring but would be nice to see locos thus again instead of these "buses on rails" we get through Radcliffe these days. We do get one or two frieght trains, not sure whether the state of the economy, or change of routes but nothing like when we moved here 10 years ago.That 8F photo is to me what it was all about, can imagine the driver and fireman with their mashcan having a steam injected brew up on the go plus the guard chuffing away on his pipe leaning over the back rail of his van.

We used to watch the trains from Boundary Road bridge. There were two apparently bomb damaged houses next to the cutting to the North East by the bridge. There were apple trees in the gardens and when we went scrumping we would scramble about in the wrecked houses. Anybody know if it was bombed during the Nottingham Blitz (Bridgford copped it pretty bad that night) or was it a target of opportunity on some other night.