Landscape of Nottingham by Jan Siebrechts 1700 Looks like painted from Carlton Hill.The Castle and Trent Bridge can be made out...To the top right in the distance will be the hills around Charnwood Forest...But under the tree branches..that hill...Is it Clifton? Looks like he's painted the Trent below it.

gghhjj.jpg

Surely, the Charnwood area would be in the extreme left distance - viz: south of the Trent - and the start of the Derbyshire hills would be in the extreme right distance. Many landscapes of that era contained freelance features, done for balance and effect. Hence the central hills - particularly the middle 'peak'.

Cheers

Robt P.

blown that pic up, of course they aren't planes at EMA, look more like Dorniers! maybe the ones that attacked Meadow Lane? talking of which he's completly missed out the ground, Forest's also, would have thought he'd have highlighted the floodlights? !rotfl!

Thanks Rob 237 you may be right, I was asking a semi serious question...Ah well back to the blogs.Sorry to raise the subject of Nottingham on here...my sincere apologies.

There's a building to the right of the Castle and further out than St Marys church, is it Wollaton hall ???

Is this picture hanging in the Castle?

I've tried downloading it and magnifying it but the features are a bit indistinct.

It must be Wollaton Hall in the distance, but I'm quite intrigued by the large building to the right of St Mary's Church, what was that, it looks impressive, a bit early for a hosiery factory.

Note the Leen Bridges at the base of the Castle, wasn't there some sort of causeway across the Meadows then and wasn't the area around Ye Olde Trip a bit of a no go area and pirate den, due to the boats coming up the Leen.

Nice pic there PB, I agree with you about the hill to the left being Clifton, the Trent still runs along the bottom of the grove at Clifton, is the hill in the middle of the picture Bramcote hills by any chance? Charnwood forest would run behind the Clifton grove but further in the distance from Bradgate to breedon on the hill which is behind EM airport, (but not in this picture obviously)

Rog

I thought those bridges mid picture were more likely at the start of London Road and closer to the artist than the castle.If I remember correctly I read somewhere that London Road before the Grantham Canal was built was a series of bridge arches that lead to the trent crossing marshland.And that the people of Newark contributed to the upkeep of some of the arches.It's possible the road mid picture joining London Road might be Meadow Lane...it would certainly explain the name.

When I said Charnwood hills I was thinking more of the Coalville, Swadlincote area more than the Leicester side.Funny how the lack of landmarks we are used to make it hard to judge how the artist saw it.

looks like the large building to the right of St Mary's could be Plumtree Place where the old boy/girl's school was, i'm pretty sure that there was some kind of mansion built there at one time but i'm happy to be proven wrong.

Ive looked at googlemaps and it could be a view from the top of Colwick woods?

Anyone got a map they could draw lines on to triangulate back to the artists position?

I think Colwick woods is much closer to the Trent...only a few hundred yards of flat land which is now the racecourse and would seem likely to be that ridge in the foreground..That's what made me feel the artist was up Carlton hill...or Bakersfield.On the other hand you may be right if I'm looking at the wrong angle rolleyes.gif

I'm not clever enough to do the map bit.The only way to be sure nowadays with all the buildings in the way would be to get a couple of hundred feet up in a hot air balloon,then maybe you could compare the view with the picture.

• 3 weeks later...

looks like the large building to the right of St Mary's could be Plumtree Place where the old boy/girl's school was, i'm pretty sure that there was some kind of mansion built there at one time but i'm happy to be proven wrong.

Re the view of Nottingham..

gghhjj-1.jpg

This print shows that building as a mansion with extensive laid out gardens...Whoever lived there had lotsa money...ideas anyone?

bbbgg.jpg

Now this is bugging me, I read somewhere not long ago , that it was a female and the land stretched down to the Trent!!. It may have been in one of those videos that Fynger gave us !!!

That's got to be it...8 acres...Biggest house in Nottingham at the time...demolished 1831...extensive gardens.

http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/articles/briscoe1905/thurlandhall1.htm

Would that be the one built by the Plumptre's and originally built on the site of The Flying Horse, can't be, too late in time, but the descriptions match it's existance. It's difficult to track our historical heritage, but it's interesting to Google and try to find out, I have a 17th century map of the city somewhere, bare with me while I try to find it in all my stuff.

After reading Poohbear's and Denshaw's last posts i am sure that i was right and it is where the old school is at the back of the Ice Stadium, hence the name....Plumtree Place.

Incidentally is'nt there a plot of land at the front of the school thats a mass graveyard for victims of the Great Plague/Cholera?