Power Station Protest

The power station is just across the Trent from me.

The Police helecopter has been up all day.

Its still there at nearly midnight.

How much is it coting to keep it up there?

How did they get there, by travelling in polluting vehicles or did they happily go on push bikes, mustn't forget that it must be a change from sitting in their houses that they no doubt conscientiously live in without the benefit of light and heat.

Wrong there Pete , they probably live in there, WITH the benefits paying for light and heat !!!!

Incidental, as I was driving over to Nottingham , at about 10.00pm last Saturday night, I passed the turn for the new station (By the power station) and saw a police car and van parked there, and at the main entrance to the power station itself was another couple of police cars, I thought it was a speed trap, but in hindsight it would appear that their intelligence gathering wasn't as good as they thought!!!

What these tree huggers don't realise is the amount of restored area's that are set aside for wildlife of all kinds because these areas don't allow public access the wild life has the run of the place and more often than not these place are designated SSSI sites or similar, without them there would be a complete loss of habitat for our wildlife.

Rog

yea, makes you laugh doesn't it, at times thus bet powers that be wish they'd never disbanded the SPG! another joke is the fire brigade calling the police cause of hassle from teenagers when they've got the equiv of a water cannon with them!

We have the same kind of crap over here - my question to all the "tree huggers" is "what is the first thing you do when you get home tonight" - it takes a while to get the answer, but it is "turn on the light" - Gotya!

Had to laugh a couple of weeks ago, one of the "news" programs did a thing on the toxicity of fly-ash. A bit of a double-standard, thinks I - berating an industry, without which, there would be no T.V., and no stupid reporters - Hmmmm... maybe not such a bad thing after all!

BTW - my dad worked at Ratcliffe both during its construction and after it was commissioned - I had my 21st birthday party at the Sports & Social club there!

I don't know what this ius about, new power station?? I have found some coal burning facts out in the last couple of years though. Coal contains some pretty nasty heavy metals which are released into the environment when burned. Mercury is one, cadmium another, not to mention lead, chlorine and many other nasty compounds. I used to wonder why North Wilford fly ash tip was fenced off with barbed wire topped fencing and why they had "keep out danger" signs all around it. Wasn't because of the vehicles, as there were very few ever to be seen. No fly ash is highly toxic, seems there have been many studies linking high incidents of certain cancers with people living down wind of coal powered generating stations, far higher than those living in close proximity to nuclear stations. Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favour of nuclear, in fact the opposite.

I don't know what this ius about, new power station??

It must have been there nearly 40 years, they clearly hadn't noticed it before, despite the fact that you can see it from the top of Mam Tor and must be one of the biggest in the country after Drax.

Not to mention the ones they are refurbishing and putting back on line at Newark on Trent (Staythorpe) and West Burton

Rog

I don't have a problem with their intentions either Zab, I just object to them using 'terrorist' type tactics to go about it. Then driving home in their 20 year old 'battle bus' (not fitted with a catalytic converter) and thus poluting the atmosphere more than half a dozen other cars do!!

It was commissioned in 1968. At the time, it was the biggest coal-fired generating plant in the U.K. - but I believe a couple of newer ones are bigger (in generating capacity). Ratcliffe has four 500MW units, which were big in their day, but these days 750MW are common and I know of at least one 1,000MW unit (Big Bertha - in New York).

I remember seeing a movie about Ratcliffes alternators and turbines many years back. The CEGB placed an order for the 650MW units with Parsons of Newcastle, Parsons said impossible, nobody can build units as big as that. CEGB told them they would tender it out to overseas manufacturers then. Parsons did a rethink and took the contract. Three years to design the units and everyone from the shop sweeper upper was involved right to the top management. Many problems were found after the units were built and tested at the factory, but the main problem was how to load test a 650MW alternator?? Eventually they had to be installed and load tested in the turbine hall at the power station. As Parsons found out, nothings impossible with a little hard work!