Goodbye to Terry Wogan and his breakfast show.

Just over an hour ago Sir Terry said goodbye, I sat in Tesco's car park and listened to the last rights.

Love him or loath him, and I can't think of many reasons for disliking the bloke, it's the end of an era stretching back 27 years, I can't see Chris Evans having that longevity of tenure.

All the best TW, and I bet you didn't put that final Janet and John story past the Radio 2 censors, it was a gem.

He said at the begining of reading it that they hadn't read it through first !!! very funny (Even if a bit near the knuckle!!!......LOL) Good on yer Tel

And best of luck to Chris Evans , a very big pair of boots to fill!!

Agreed Beefsteak, Golden Shah!!!!! I quite frankly don't think that Evans will let us down either, he's changed a lot recently, big boots to fill, but he'll try in his own inimitable way, best of luck to him as well.

Incidentally, anyone hear George Michael on Chris's show the other night, what a strange, humourless and over circumspect bloke he was, he seemed clearly upstaged by the fact that he had to put up with the cheery, legendary Macca and the Muppets live on a link as well, wierd man, I'm writing this and Last Christmas by Wham has just come up on the radio, what a coincidence.

• 2 months later...

A few months on and I have to say I still really miss Terry and his TOG's. That very last show was real lump-in-the-throat stuff - the passing of an era. Chris Evans is a very good presenter and has happily matured a bit these days but this was just an impossible job to replace the legend that is Terry Wogan.

I'm really not sure who else the Beeb could have possibly got to replace Terry; not only does the early morning miss him but also the in-jokes and humour of the TOGs writing in. It could never have been the same whoever it was going to be.

Chris Evans is okay but it truly was the end of an era when The Togmeister hung up his breakfast show microphone.

Agreed Stu, Evans is a bit 'in your face' in the mornings, Simon Mayo doesn't have the charisma and sparkle in the evenings and the ones in between don't do a lot for me. I don't particularly care for Terry's sunday morning show either, it just isn't my kind of thing. Radio 2 is pretty grim anyway at the weekend, I can't work out who it's supposed to appeal to, not me, apart from a few exceptions, Brian Matthew, Bob Harris, Johnny Walker, they all play good stuff along with midweek evening programmes by Paul Jones and Mike Harding.

Funny, all the really old boys, but they know their stuff, old and new, and it wasn't a problem for the late lamented John Peel on Radio 1.

I've switched to Radio 6, I think it's fantastic, you never know whats coming next, it could be Bowie, Half Man Half Biscuit, Biffi Clyro, anybody, I love it, only the BBC want to axe it as a cost cutting exercise, pathetic, lets continue to put our money in to keeping Steve Wright and his 30 year old routine alive, give Craigs orange friend a living and support the employment of so called DJ's like the whining, pathetic Alan Carr and his band of brothers.

Whenever we were over in the UK, we'd always tune the rental car in to Radio 2, and try and catch Terry Wogan in a morning. Loved his show. The fella who followed him, Ken somebody? was on a par with Terry, in fact he has a way of speaking a bit like him and I had to check the time on the clock to see who it was! We like the pop quizzes on 2 as well.

Ken Bruce? It's hard to find the right sort of music and chat mixed together. Radio Trent seem to play the same sort of music all day, Radio Nottingham sometimes gets boring, Heart is not too bad but Smooth is my favourite.

Agreed Stu, Evans is a bit 'in your face' in the mornings, Simon Mayo doesn't have the charisma and sparkle in the evenings and the ones in between don't do a lot for me. I don't particularly care for Terry's sunday morning show either, it just isn't my kind of thing. Radio 2 is pretty grim anyway at the weekend, I can't work out who it's supposed to appeal to, not me, apart from a few exceptions, Brian Matthew, Bob Harris, Johnny Walker, they all play good stuff along with midweek evening programmes by Paul Jones and Mike Harding.

Funny, all the really old boys, but they know their stuff, old and new, and it wasn't a problem for the late lamented John Peel on Radio 1.

I've switched to Radio 6, I think it's fantastic, you never know whats coming next, it could be Bowie, Half Man Half Biscuit, Biffi Clyro, anybody, I love it, only the BBC want to axe it as a cost cutting exercise, pathetic, lets continue to put our money in to keeping Steve Wright and his 30 year old routine alive, give Craigs orange friend a living and support the employment of so called DJ's like the whining, pathetic Alan Carr and his band of brothers.

Ha ha! Good post Firbeck!

I have to add Mark Radcliffe and Stuart Maconie to that listen to list, and like many, I have yet to listen to Mr Evans for longer than 5 minutes, and despite loving every minute of Terry's brekky show, I'm finding it difficult to get into his new Sunday show.

Sorry Craig not to mention them, I used to love Mark and Lard, but as soon as the Manchester music scene went into so called decline, they were out on their ears courtesy of the BBC.

Stuart Maconie is very knowledgable and underated as a broadcaster, I don't think he's the right person as a foil to Mark Radcliffe, who tends to dither quite a lot.

It's interesting to read one of the letters in the new Radio Times, there's a lot of praise for Richard Allinson who apparently took over the Breakfast Show when Evans went on holiday, personally, I can't stand Allinson, I find him so patronising and insincere, but on the other hand, the point has been made and I respect and understand that.

• 1 month later...

What my mum doesn't like about him is his voice !!!

She says "You listen to that Moira Stuart reading the news, and she's got a voice like treacle, then he comes back on and it's like tearing newspaper"

Great piece of illiteration!!

I think that would be "alliteration" Beefy! tanning.gif

Dunno why, but I couldn't get into Terry's Sunday show, and now it isn't there....what's happened to him now?

EDIT. Cancel the question, I should have looked on the Beeb site first, he is back in June.

Just testing to see if this computer works.

You may be pleased to know that Graham Norton is to replace Jonathan Ross on Saturday mornings, great, another grossly over-affected shirtlifter to whine and whinge his way through the Saturday airwaves along with Dale Winton, Alan Carr and Paul Gambaccini, I can only assume that the Radio 2 controllers like their rump steaks raw over the weekend.

Every time you put the telly on this days that grinning self loving pillock Norton is everywhere, now it's to be the radio as well, is he really that amazing, or simply as we see him, a talentless, annoying little backside licker who clearly has a hold on the Director of the BBC, well those eejits did sign a multi million pound contract to aquire him, sad gits, they never asked me.

What next, Channel Norton, Radio Norton, Sky Norton, it's getting that way, still, as I turn him off the minute he appears, it's encouraging me to spend more time reading and listening to CD's.

Your computer is definitely working, Pete. I think the 'angry' lock is on though! :)

No strong feelings one way or another about Norton but I do tire of how the BBC has it's favourite sons (and duaghters) and clings on to them, pushing them in our faces relentlessly. Could be worse I guess - could be Noel Edmonds...

Welcome back, you have been missed.

Not sure The BBC at fault? maybe pressure from "above"? I've already had my say on the homosexual (call a spade a spade) (if we are allowed to say that word?) trends in all the soaps. Seems to me "someone" is thinking if we see enough of it we'll accept it as normal? same thing happening with the use of non white children in the lead up to the world cup