Why do dogs love snow so much

Our old Jack Russell, Scooby Doo, nearly 14, is a grumpy git who doesn't want to step out the door if it's wet, cold, windy, whatever. When it snows though, he loves it, first out in the garden this morning, he's dying to go for a walk and chuck himself about in it. Jerry our new puppy JR has obviously not seen snow before and isn't sure what to make of it, we put him out in the garden last night and he was staring skyward at the snowflakes in wonder, he clearly finds it all a bit strange. What do you doggy people's little pals think of it all, we find their reactions hilarious.

We had a dog for almost 13 yrs, who loved the snow. She'd run through it, chomping away to eat it as she went. Loved to catch snowballs in her mouth. She never did roll in it though, I guess some dogs do and some don't. Our friend's Lab would roll, and grunt with pure joy.

Just taken them both out, unlike most Jack Russells, they aren't nasty yappy little gits, they love life and kids in particular, everyone around here is very fond of them when I take them for a walk. They've just been running around like loonies in the snow and climbing on board the kids sledges down the hill out the back, I'm kicking myself for not taking my camera as it was so funny to see them sitting there like little simps, loving every minute of the attention they were getting, after all this effort they are now crashed out on individual settees, horrible dogs.

!englandflag! Winter Tip: Just a reminder...........don't ever eat yellow snow!! !sickly!

We've got (or are owned by) a 10 month old Blue Roan Cocker, called Jess, she's not yet encountered snow, but we live in the South East, so should be soon!!

I guess they know there's an animal down there. Weren't Jack Russells bred for catching rabbits by going down rabbit holes? By the way, nice to see some JR's with some colour on them. The ones here seem to be either all white or just the odd patch of light brown on them. Can't remember seeing any with black on them.

The old boy Scooby Doo, now in his 14th year, used to have a lovely brown snout, but he's getting grey and old, though you wouldn't think it. He came from a batch of as pure a line of Jack Russells as you can get, his brothers and sisters went for large sums of money, but as it was Lizzies friend, he only cost us £25 as a tiny puppy, but at the time, so nasty and horrible that I absolutely hated him, puppies are supposed to be loveable, Scooby was appalling, but not any more, quite the reverse.

Jerry, we suspect has so many other doggy genes in him that we don't know what to think, we are convinced that there is Alsation in there somewhere, I'm sure he has never seen snow before, or if he has, the poor dog has not been allowed to appreciate it. He is very naughty, but so loveable all at the same time, we suspect that he has been badly treated in his short life, like em or hate em dogs are supposed to be our pals, if there is a problem, it's down to the owner, not the dog.

Our 9 yr old Springer spaniel is getting a bit grumpy now as he's got arthritis in two legs, but show him a bit of snow and he's a different dog! He loves to run along shoveling his nose through it and jumping to chase snowballs. Our newish Patterdale terrier doesn't seem to notice whether it's snowed or not, she just runs..and runs....and runs..

• 7 years later...
  • 1 month later...