Spring is Coming!

It's snowing - but it is supposed to be above freezing - tomorrow!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woodpeckers drumming at this time of year is a good sign, it means they are marking out their territories, later in the season when they start drumming it will be for food, only seen one Great spotted woodpecker in the back field and he was drumming on our electricity pole, a couple of Green woodpeckers dashing about from the village pond to the small copse down the lane, was told yesterday that the Peregrines on Louth church are starting to look interested in each other so who knows, the Peregrines on Lincoln cathedral should breed again this year but I'm a bit worried for the Redstarts that are roosting too close to the Peregrines, could be breakfast one morning,nice pair of Shelduck on the lagoons at work this week as well as 20 Pochard, a pair of Gargany upto 50 Tufted duck, 500 Greylag geese, 8 Egyptian geese,100 plus Great black back gulls, Hares starting to go crazy and I dont think the Rabbits have stopped breeding at all this winter as I saw some youngsters the other day, and for Beefsteak, the odd Typhoon, Tucano, Chipmunk, AWACS, Sentinal, King air, Harrier,Tornado and F15,

Daffodils sprouting in the back garden and small buds appearing on the young Swedish Hornbeam

So is Spring just around the corner???

Rog

We've got a pair of Ravens looking friendly in the trees in the nearby graveyard, although I can't think of any where they could nest (Unless it is on the roof of the church itself)

It was only last week I wrote about the Peregrines on Louth church were looking interested in each other and that we were hoping they would breed this year, well the church authorities have put paid to any of that, they want the Peregrines gone, the reason, it would mean stopping the tours around the tower for a couple of months whilst the birds raised their young, the tower tours mainly occur in August (the holiday season) but the birds will have flown the nest by the beginning of July, anyway the church people are going to destroy any nest building activity to prevent these wonderful hawks breeding on their precious tower, personally I think the presence of these birds on the tower would generate more revenue over the couple of months they were raising their young than the tower tours would in six months. Why can't we all live together on this small planet? Still I suppose the richest organisation in the UK could do with a few extra bob

Rog

I suspect that the RSPB and other conservation groups might have rather a lot to say about that, in fact, I wouldn't be surprised at what they're planning on doing is against the law, more info please because I'd love to stir it for the pious barstewards and if there is a case to answer, I will.

I see, the birds haven't actualy nested there before and so there's no established site. I note from one of the correspondants that the pair were flying around the tower yesterday so presumably the vicar will be up there tying tinsel birdscarers to the belfry this morning before he takes the service, I wonder if objections will be raised during that.

I'm sure that if the Church Authorities thought about it they could probably raise more money by setting up a viewing area and having a collecting box.

louth_st_james.jpg

Tall int it!!!

And grey!!

It's disgusting that they are trying to stop these Peregrines nesting.

Chester Cathederal doesn't have the problem , they have Ravens up there too!!

The Snowdrops are out and there are a few 3/4 inch long Daffodil stems poking out , and yup it's snowing here too, only a few flakes mind , I doubt it will settle.

Snow drops,Daffodils, Hyacinths (sp) poking through the ground , buds/new shoots starting to appear on the goose gog bushes and the grass is still growing, Good news from Louth church, they have decided to leave the Peregrines alone, read about it on the "lincs bird club" website

Rog

We had about 8" of the stuff overnight - enough that all the schools are closed today. Had to clear the driveway last night, and again this morning (thank goodness for snow-blowers), but the drive to work was uneventful due to the loss of school traffic.

Still snowing, but not accumulating where it has been plowed, and it is all supposed to end by noon. Unfortunately, no temps above freezing in the 7-day forecast!

I AM SICK OF SNOW! It's official. More yesterday, I despair of ever seeing soil again. We're coming up for 10 weeks of snow on the ground, deep snow at that. They say it's an El Nino year, don't know about that except I don't reckon much to it. My friend in Vancouver wants me to send her some, they are trucking it in for the snowboarding next week. All they're getting is rain.

A few flakes about two hours ago , but not enough to settle. The car needed de icing this morning (- .5 ) but other than that it's been really bright sunshine all day!!

Just been savagely pruning two peach trees and one plum tree. Two apple trees to go.