I have seen starlings going to roost before and have posted pictures from Cornwall of them doing it , but this is on my door step!!!

In the centre of some of the shots you can see a single laylandii?? and believe it or not approx 100,000 Starlings are roosting in there every night at the moment!!!

Err you forgot the photo. !hungr!

For some reason the pics haven't transfered and I can't edit it . I'll try again.

Very low light by the way!!

20100126_3591.jpg

20100126_3639.jpg

20100126_3579.jpg

20100126_3641.jpg

And a great sunset to boot

20100126_3617_edited-2.jpg

More here

http://www.flickr.co...57623165923521/

Starlings are a nuisance, luckily, we only find them around built up areas over here. All the starlings in the states come from two pair some idiot released a hundred or so years ago.

I'll tell you the reason behind that John (one of those snippets of information I picked up a little while ago and never forgot!!)

It was something to do with some fan of Shakespeare, who decided to import, to America, two of every creature mentioned in his works!!! and (Apparently ) they have done far more damage to your indigenous species than the Grey Squirrel ever did over here !! (I'll leave the rest with you )

Most impressive, but how do they all fit on to your bird table, Beefy.

We don't get many starlings around here, I don't know why that is, conditions seem right, edge of town, park, nature reserve, river, lake, arable fields, few starlings. There's a few appear in the spring that raise chicks and in small numbers they are very amusing, right ungainly characters, always falling out amongst themselves.

I wonder how long yours will hang around in such large numbers.

Fantastic pictures Ian, most people only see spectacles like that on the TV or in books, I don't know why when all you have to do is look out of the window or travel a very short distance, Last year on Spring Watch they did one show from Bempton cliffs in yorkshire, looked great so the following weekend we drove up there and what an experience the sights,sounds and smells that just don't come through on the telly. good on yer mate

ps your wildlife photo's are getting better as well

Rog

4305090654_535264d8b7_o.jpg

This poor fellow was sat looking all forlorne so I had to take his picture to see if he'd smile for me!! he hung around for ages singing and looking for grub (s). Unfortunately I didn't have anything for him.

Ah Mr Robin, that iconic British garden bird, last weekend I bought a 500gram bucket of dead meal worms to feed our local pair of Robins but they get bullied off the bird table by the pheasants, Sunday afternoon there was 17 pheasants tucking into the meal worms while poor Mr robin looked on from the fence, guess I'll put another pot of worms out nearer the fence or put the pheasants in a pot

Rog

MMMMMMM roast Pheasant !!!

I had it once at my sisters for Christmas and they had forgot to use the metal detector on mine !!! result ,, a chipped tooth and a 7 pieces of lead shot on the side of my plate !!

Did you know that the American Robin is completely different to the one you have? Here they are much larger (about twice the size), all brown but for the red chest (not as vivid red), and a very "round" body!

Once had pigeon pie - complete with lead shot cooked in! Not a pleasant experience!

I saw an American Robin down in Cornwall once (Blown slightly off course) I hadn't gone to see it , we were just driving down this lane and it was packed with 'twitchers'. Nearly ran a few of them over too.!!

Did you know that the American Robin is completely different to the one you have? Here they are much larger (about twice the size), all brown but for the red chest (not as vivid red), and a very "round" body!

Once had pigeon pie - complete with lead shot cooked in! Not a pleasant experience!

Read somewhere that they are not really a robin at all, but some kind of Thrush.

Both - but from what I've seen the people are catching up!

Yes, I believe the American Robin is a member of the Thrush family.

Quite right Limey, Turdus migratorius, American robin, 10" long from beak to tip of tail,has the character of the blackbird with uniform brick red breast, dark grey head and back,bold white markings around the eye and white tips to outer tail feathers, a vagrant to England, Ireland and across Europe as far as Yugoslavia, very similar to Naumanns red throated and eye-browed thrushes.

sorry for being a bore, info from Birds of Britain and Europe by Roger Peterson, Guy Mountfort and P.A,D, Hollom 1954

Rog

Believe it or not that actually is the route !!!

Turdus (Their family name) is from the Latin for their colouration (Sh1tty brown) Migratorious as it says , long distace migratory birds

There are a lot of other birds in this clasification all of them Turdus, (Thrushes / Blackbirds etc)

Loads of other Turdus out there , my personal favourite being Turdus Maximus (big sh1t)

Our native Blackbird being Turdus Merula ?? I think.

The family also contains Fieldfares Ouzels and Red wings along with our other native thrushes (Mistle and Song )

American Robin:-

4309572987_fa7c810bc5_o.jpg