I don't live in Nottingham, so don't know the history, but wondered if anyone knew anything of a pub known as The Robin Hood and if it still stood as rumour has it that my Grandfather worked their as a chef or waiter back in the late 40's and early 50's, He was said to of been greek-cypriot.

In the days of the good old "Home Brewery" there was a pub next to the big CooP on Upper Parliament Street that had a very large "Robin Hood" logo outside. The damndest thing is, I can't for life of me remember what was called !!!!

When you say Cathedral, I take it you mean St Barnabas Catholic cathedral, there is no mediaeval Anglican Cathedral in Nottingham, you may not realise that if you aren't a native.

The only bars I can think of within a stones throw of St Barnies, well, in my time anyway, would be the Strathdon and Playhouse, any others?

Re the question about a phone directory, I inherited a 1950's local business directory about 20 years ago (ex property of Home Brewery) it had listed in it every street in Nottingham (and likes of West Bridgford Arnold I think) in this sort of format.

Nottingham Road

263 Woods Mrs Annie Confectr. prop. Hugh Smith

-Rosetta Road-

265 Hanrahan Edward

267 McCracken Dennis

267a Durose Ernest

263 Wombell and Co Knitwear Manufact.

and so on

etc etc,

listed everything, pubs, landlords of, railway stations inc then phone no's! and all over 21's living at houses (good for tracing girls!)

Can't recall name of it but have seen such in libary, think 1000 plus pages, but very brittle and fragile, pages were crumbling away, wife made me dump it as such a mess caused

Describes like a Kelly's Directory...

Invariably limp yellow covers, not unlike a Wisden's Cricketers Almanack, about the same size too!

Many specific city/town volumes regularly available via eBay,Amazon etc, some going back decades.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly%27s_Directory

Cheers

Robt P.

yes that's it, only think this was some exec edition, hard red cover, though sellotaped on! great book spent hours looking up all old mates, ex gf's etc, also useful for baffling you railways fanantics! like telling people some long gone line ran between no's 44 and 52 of a long gone certain street, would be great now, remember that question re trinity square? I could have reeled off every business house cafe pub etc, will have to look out for another

The only bars I can think of within a stones throw of St Barnies, well, in my time anyway, would be the Strathdon and Playhouse, any others?

The Hand and Heart, Derby Road. The Canning Circus pubs such as The Sir John Borlace Warren and The Falcon. There's also the one at the Derby Roundabout alluded to above, which is now called The Gatehouse.

Plus of course the Home brewery pub (Whos name still eludes me for the moment) it was on the BIG roundabout Maid Marion Way, D*rby one forest nil Road , Upper Parliament Street etc , I'm positive it had a very large Robin Hood logo (H,Bs' logo) outside, but it wasn't called that. (Besides which , it didn't serve food either.)

Plus of course the Home brewery pub (Whos name still eludes me for the moment) it was on the BIG roundabout Maid Marion Way,

Think that's the same premises as the Gatehouse, Beefy. Looks quite different now. The original name is eluding me too.

In the 60's & 70s I was an apprentice electrician at Coop House.

and when the Robin Hood was mentioned, I visualised it as being a Robin Hood sign there?

Originally at that location Coop had there car sales which was knocked down, probably

with the original pub.

Perhaps picture the past might be a good start?