The Real Thing

Sun 30/5/10

Imelda May

Dr Feelgood

Paul Lamb and the King Snakes

Todd Miller presents the Joe Loss Orchestra

Mon 31/5/10

Animals with special guest Spencer Davis

The New Amen Corner with special guests Cliff Bennett, Chip Hawkes and Steve Ellis.

The Fab Four

Looking forward to the Feelgoods and Monday looks like fun.

Tried to view New Amen Corner website, caused pc to crash twice! was wondering if Andy Fairweather Low still with them? last time I heard of him was when he phoned my mate re some hendrix info, at time was working with Roger Waters, tried to get invite to their sessions in Wales but no good, talking of Hendrix wonder who's played bass in the Animals?

To tie two topics together, Chris Ashley was mates with Andy Fairweather-Low.

Zab, ayup mate welcome back, is Andys band still called Fair Weather ???

Wee Wille Harris (Him of the Blockheads and "reasons" fame ??) he must be mid 70s now ??? surely not , Mind you he did have an album out around 2000 called 20 reasons to be chearful. (A mate of mine was a session musician on it !!)

And whats the venue for the gig / gigs ??

Ta

Ian Drury was with the blockheads and made the original Reasons to be cheerful, died in 2000 aged 58, I saw Wee Willie Harris at the old theatre or whatever that was opposite Theatre Royal, still recall queuing in the rain under a glass roofed cover (that leaked) outside, he's now 77

as regards "If it does not have A.F-L how can it be Amen Corner?" ditto The Animals, 2 are dead and Eric Burdon not with them,

Am now expecting to see advertised "The Jimi Hendrix Experience" might have a problem with that one!

Last year there was also a marquee 'ballroom' outside the castle. Additionally 'street music' at Chapel Bar, Forman Street and Trinity Square, Goose Gate, Hockley, St Peter’s Square, Albert Street.

I promise to try and get over for this.

I've just go...oogled Wee Willy Harris and he's 76 !!!!!!

It's well worth making the effort, Ian. Something for everybody usually.

Wee Willie gets a mention in an Ian Dury lyric in Reasons to be Cheerful.

Take your mum to Paris

Lighting up the chalice

Wee Willy Harris

thanks Mick for the amen corner clip....bit of nostalgia there !!!! 1968 ?..think Adi the lead singer with the swiines looks and sounds similar to Andy Fairweather Low.....see Zabs post on what you are listening today........great live band....

Considering it's a freebie it's well worth going along. I don't think the line-up is as strong as last year - the Manfreds/Alan Price were amazing and it's a bit of a shame that there's no new talent on show; last year we had three really good acts.

The Animals are not the band we know from the sixties but it will still be interesting to see them linking up with Spencer Davis.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Caught some of the acts yesterday We Willy Harris was awesome my Hubby said he can remember seeing him at the Essoldo in Loughborough in 1960 it made his day seeing him again, the Jets were really good too worth getting wet for lol

I agree with Radfordred, Imelda May was brilliant - she's got so much talent, I'm not surprised people like Jeff Beck sometimes use her talents. Of the other acts, The Feelgoods and The New Amen Corner were ok; but I was quite impressed with the Animals, maybe because I didn't expect a lot - anyway, they had Chris Farlowe as guest vocalist.

I took a few snaps thinking you might like to see a few familiar faces.

Cliff Bennett of Rebel Rousers fame

4656626759_8a0899a2bb.jpg

Chip Hawkes from the Tremeloes

4656911445_a1c5c3f94d.jpg

Steve Ellis from Love Affair

4656746119_5260f830e2.jpg

The New Amen Corner

4657340132_708b193300.jpg

4657339370_751a36ef96.jpg

The Animals

4657022867_b4fd0bcdd6.jpg

Chris Farlowe - guested as part of the Animals set

4657716642_7d6347a4c8.jpg

Dr Feelgood

4655807636_6296034773.jpg

Imelda May - the star of the weekend, she has the potential to be huge

4654371530_e41d462dba.jpg

Thanks for the great pics, Zab. I took in the Feelgoods and Imelda on Sunday and New Amen Corner and The Animals yesterday and loved it all. I guess I most enjoyed Amen Corner due to their format of bringing in three guests, all with different styles. Cliff Bennett was still able to show what a fine voice he had in his heyday, whilst Chip Hawkins of the Tremeloes was a good showman and quickly got the crowd on his side.

I'm not really an Animals fan but decided to stick around when I heard Chris Farlowe was going to be guesting. He may be older and frailer around the edges but he still showed why he was rated as one of the very best voices in popular music. Loved the way he was enjoying himself up there too, at one point pretending to tweak The Animals' bass guitarist's tuners behind his back whilst he was playing. :)

As always it's a matter of getting yourself down there and enjoying the live music and watching it unfold. We all know that City Pulse is produced on a budget but it never seems to deflect from having a great time down there in the presence of some great old bands and players, and the odd very talented new one too such as Imelda May.

The crowds seemed healthier than ever this year to me and it's all pretty good-natured and enjoyable in the Square. Credit where it's due to the City Council for producing another thoroughly enjoyable event which is now a much looked forward event on the local calendar. The crowd played their part too.

Here's to the next one.

• 3 months later...