Analogue/Digital TV etc

The changeover is coming (next year) and I was just wondering what is needed? I have a analogue TV and VCR, TV reception at Radcliffe is crap, even with top of range digital aerial could not get freeview channels with (working, try out) set top box, (not helped of course by lack of height in caravan home). Next door has similar set up to that but with signal amplifier etc, and chap across way has some small dish on wall, both report good pics but at a cost. So what I'm asking is what will I need? At moment I can get all 5 normal channels and tape such quite happily at no cost (other than licence) So, what do I need? what channels will I get? and what about recording programmes etc? maybe some who are now in a changed over area can advise?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FORGET FREEVIEW

Get Freesat, many more channels. Easy self install,

Better quality, no problem getting a signal.

You could buy it for the price of having a digital terestrial arial installed.

Best to have a freview receiver than built in to TV.

Get a Full HD Receiver.

EBAY!

They are very good systems. Silvercrest.

I have one myself.

In fact I have a brand new one in a box, Which I really must sell?

I now have the Fortec Star Passion, which is more advanced in that you can put a Cam in it.

A CAM, Conditional Access Module, which just means it's a small circuit board in a casing, that fits into CI slots on satellite receivers.

Allows access to more channels, or subscriptions.

Any of the FTA receivers will pick up, with the right dish, LNB's any free programming from satellites. Many now have the smartcard access slots to purchase PPV programs and PPV movies.

You have a set top box, run a wire to a dish, facing south, does not have to be very high.

Better if its not high, in case of any needed adjustment.

The most awkward part is finding the righ satallite, there are many.

Not hard if you are experienced and have a satfinder.

If you decide to go for satellite and can run the cable, drill holes to fix the dish,

I can help with setup.

If you need help finding the right equipment, let me know.

FTA = Free To Air, a set top box designed to receive both C and Ku band signals from satellites, there are many channels of programming from dozens of satellites in geo stationary orbit. LNB = Low Noise Block amplifier. The gizmo mounted on the dish that receives the signal, changes it to an intermediate frequency and sends it down the cable to the FTA receiver. You'd probably need a 36 inch dish minimum to receive a reasonable signal. Although for the best signal, and enjoyment from both bands, ie C and Ku, a BUD Big Ugly Dish is needed.

Wales is set to become the first part of the UK to have a fully digital TV service.

Wales switches to digital TV .The last analogue television transmitters started switching off at midnight, leaving every viewer with a digital signal.

By the end of the day, anyone without a digital TV provider, like Freeview or Sky, will lose their signal.

Emyr Hughes, Digital UK's national manager for the country, said the switchover had gone well with 98.4 percent of households in Wales having digital television.

Some viewers in Wales will be receiving Channel 4 for the first time via their digital receivers. Regional channel S4C was the analogue version of Channel 4.

Most of Scotland, London and Northern Ireland will not make the switchover until 2012.

We've had Freeview for a while now, it does however have an annoying tendency to cut out occasionally, paricularly with regard to the sound and always at the wrong time in an important piece of dialogue, I suspect it has something to do with the fact that the European landing pattern for Stansted is situated between us and the Sudbury transmitter, so it will never be resolved.

Radio reception around here is not very good, I have a digital radio in the dining room but had to install a dedicated ariel in the loft in order for it to work, our hi-fi in the living room is connected into the telly system so we get digital radio via the Freeview box.

The problem with digital radio will be with cars, I doubt whether many owners have them installed, we have very nice CD/radio systems that came with the vehicles, fitted in ours, to replace them would be a hell of an expense, I doubt whether many people would bother.

It's the old folk I worry about, I got my mum in Nottingham a Freeview box a while ago, she's 94 next month and can't get to grips with it, bless her, she's so familiar with the basic buttons on her analogue handset, she really can't work out how to go onto AV and mess around with all those channels.

You mention Freesat, we have a former Sky sattelite dish that was already mounted on the chimney when we moved in, would I be able to simply shove a Freesat box on the end of the cable and use that, if so, how much do Freesat boxes cost.

Yes a sky dish will face the Astra satellite.

Find a cheap receiver on a local search on Ebay.

Let me know what you find before you buy it.

Our car has a standard radio/cassette in it...we just have an MP3 player plugged into it thru one of them tape converter things....cant think the of last time i listened to a radio......Some lil darlings snapped the roof ariel off anyway so theres just a 2 inch stick coming out of the roof.

Since found out come the changeover we'll be getting a system foc under some govt scheme, I imagine the installers etc will give advice on best system etc?

Explain more Ashley ?

cant think the of last time i listened to a radio......Some lil darlings snapped the roof ariel off anyway so theres just a 2 inch stick coming out of the roof.

...........and the neck of a banjo poking out the drivers side?????

Silly me, you're not left handed, are you mate?