All flights in the UK and Europe Grounded.

"During the late 18th Century, continuous volcanic eruptions in Iceland heavily damaged a quarter of the island nation, and blotted out the sun's light for several years." (BBC) http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3982273.stm

What will happen if the eruption is on the same scale. No more flights?

When's it going to start raining pumice stones, I'm off down the shed to find my gas mask, could be that the whole country will shortly start smelling of the Stanton Ironworks coking plant pretty soon.

When one of the big ones goes off there'll be billions starve to death never mind a few of the better off missing flights...and it will happen one day...glad I won't be here to enjoy it.

Joking aside, things are quite strange. I've just been out with the dogs and the normally spring smelling rural Essex smells like an industrial estate. The sun is very pale and the blue sky is streaked with high odd grey clouds. As for my car, it's covered in grey dust, even though we haven't had any rain for a few weeks, this has only just happened this afternoon, I used it this morning and the windscreen was clear then, what happens next, earthquakes?

Rather weird light here too.

If I was still umpiring we'd all be back in the pavilion...

Somewhat disappointing, as I'd always expected the end of the world to be much more dramatic :rolleyes:

Cheers

Robt P.

I was living in the states when Mt. St. Helens went up - working in Montana and we got the same thing. Two pieces of advice - stay indoors as much as possible, and don't drive your car.

When it has cleared, immediately get a new air filter for your car - do it as soon as possible as the stores will quickly run out! It probably would not be a bad idea to change the oil too!

Nothing here at all , bright sunshine , no ash and not a vapour trail in sight!!

Don't panic Captain Mainwaring....Wish I still smoked so that when some moaning bat goes on about the stink I can blame it on volcanoes.

And no...as a non smoker now, others smoking doesn't bother me one bit.

By the way if anyone hears rumbles from around Yellowstone...give us a ring 'cos that Mother is gonna be a biggie...

Yes, that's the one...

Saw a recent documentary which asserted that much of Middle America could be decimated...

Went there 20 years ago, just after their major fire, and was amazed to be walking on flimsy boarding through acres of boiling mud and enormously powerful geysers. Permanent smell of the notorious 'Sign of Four' stinkbomb...

Another 'overdue' catastrophe - just waiting to happen - is the huge detached Canary Island peninsula which, when it eventually slips into the sea could produce a 200 foot high tsunami along the American eastern seaboard, from Maine down to Florida. Bet you a dollar that CNN will be first on the scene with live cameras...

Cheers

Robt P.

When I got home yesterday, from taking those pictures, I got hit on the head by a gateaux and a bag of frozen chips, SWMBO said it was fall out from Iceland ..............

Here's another one you Americans won't get :-

What's the difference between Cheryl Cole and the Icelandic volcano ??........The volcano is still blowing Ash......Taxi

Experts have warned that it could take years of work by experienced professionals to clean up after the volcano. That’s why Mum’s gone to Iceland.

What The ....?

Departures:April 2010 onwards... Duration:3 nights Price:from £471Following the eruption of the Iceland volcano near Eyjafjallajokull in South Iceland, we are delighted to arrange a tour to view this spectacular natural wonder, based on staying in Reykjavik. Hurry - BOOK NOW! Fly over the volcano in Iceland, specifically the Eyjafjallajokull area. This is understood to offer the best view of the volcanic activity.

Day 1 fly from UK to Keflavik and transfer to the centrally located Hotel Reykjavik Centrum for a 3-night stay.

Day 2 time at leisure in Reykjavik before your transfer to Reykjavik Domestic Airport, for your 1300 (approx.) sightseeing flight over the Eyjafjallajokull eruption.

http://www.discover-the-world.co.uk/en/holidays/iceland/volcano-special/itinerary.html

We're dooomed I tells ya , we're al dooomed!!! appologise to John Laurie and Dads Army creators Jimmy Perry and David Croft!!

Incedently, earlier this week (Before all the trouble started) I very nearly booked SWMBO and I on to a trip there in a couple of weeks time, cost??, £249 for three nights, including the site seeing flight!! amazing how the price nearly doubled when the damned thing went up

All training flights on the Typhoon have been suspended following the finding of some volcanic ash in one of the engines, in saying that the good old Dakota was up again today and that poor thing is covered in coal dust under the floor boards

Rog