I don't think piston engines are as susceptible to the dust as jets. Most light-aircraft engines do have air filters - some you can bypass, but you always use them at low levels. Not sure about the engines on a Dakota (P&W radials?)

The problem with the dust on jets is two-fold - firstly it can be abrasive to the compressor blades, secondly it can melt and stick to the power turbine blades. That is what happened to the BA flight near Australia some years ago. The engines all shut down, but as they cooled, the brittle ash lumps broke off and the pilot was able to re-start three of them!

Display Typhoon up today,13.15hrs going through his routine followed 30 mins later by the silver Spitfire and Typhoon duo going through their paces,,,BRILLIANT!!!!!!

Rog

Bar steward!!!

And I shouldn't have to explain it to anybody , but , "For the uninitiated amongst you,(Especially those with a sense of humour bypass who live in areas that begin with "B" And who forget who picked them up and took them on a Nottstalgia aviation day, ran them back home, then lent him 2 videos of airshows, yet still finds it fitting to try to insult me,) let me translate"

Rog works near where I want to move to, but SWMBO insists its either Cornwall or Kent !!!

Ian, Do you think SWMBO would settle for a place in New York?

Only at the end of CBY eastern runway

slywink

Rog

I told her about that 'Quaint little bungalow' there when we were all over last November, but she was having none of it !!!

• 2 months later...

Have these eruptions now finished? only there's no mention of them on the news anymore, the reason I'm asking is because I've looked out of the window and there are no aircraft or contrails in the sky, the sky is hardly ever without any, there were a few yesterday at the airshow but as yet nothing apart from the departing military stuff from Waddo, don't remember seeing anything on the news that's more interesting than the ash cloud at the moment, perhaps it's because the wind has changed direction and it no longer concerns us in the UK but what about the poor souls that it is affecting or don't that matter?

just a thought!

Rog

Have these eruptions now finished? only there's no mention of them on the news anymore, the reason I'm asking is because I've looked out of the window and there are no aircraft or contrails in the sky

Just come back from a week in Paphos the plane was half empty there & back the hotel was only using one floor , all the bars where dead , maybe no one going on there jollies ?

Pool @ midday.

05-07-2010054.jpg